eye problem

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
carrie

Post by carrie »

All best wishes to you, Walden!

Carol
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

Walden, I am very sorry to hear this. I hope that it turns out that you don't have the condition after all. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.

All the best,
Paul
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

More good thoughts, Walden! These days, there are often excellent medical treatments available, so keep a bright spirit. I'll be thinking of you.
Northerner

Eye problem

Post by Northerner »

I also have glaucoma. I take eye drops (four times a day) and have regular eye checks. That's all that I do.

I hope that you don't have glaucoma. But even if you do it's possible to adapt to it fairly easily. Good luck!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Thanks for all the thoughts. I've known a number of people with that condition, and the only one that went completely blind was before they knew ways to treat it. If I do have glaucoma, I don't intend to travel to Canada for medicinal marihuana, but I do mean to get me one of them helper monkeys for the disabled. :)
Wombat wrote:You seem to have had a bad run with health and I sincerly hope things pick up for you starting right now.
Looks like a long period without any major medical problems caught up with me. In my entire life, I've never even been hospitalized, unless one counts that my mother gave birth to me in a hospital.
Reasonable person
Walden
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

My father had glaucoma that led to cataracts. He those removed and did fine with really thick glasses. This was back in the early '70s. By the late '70s, a co-worker who developed cataracts went to artifical implanted lenses and didn't even have to wear glasses any more.

Now it seems that galucoma doesn't have to develop into cataracts at all.

I hope it all goes very smoothly for you.

(It's been well over a year since I was told that I had fairly high internal eye pressure and should have regular tests. I think it's probably time for another one.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Denny

Post by Denny »

Walden wrote:If I do have glaucoma, I don't intend to travel to Canada for medicinal marihuana, but I do mean to get me one of them helper monkeys for the disabled.
Think ya'll be able to teach it to play backup? :wink:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Denny wrote:Think ya'll be able to teach it to play backup?
If not, I can play the music, while he passes the hat... hmm... one supposes that works better in an urban setting.
Reasonable person
Walden
Denny

Post by Denny »

Walden wrote:
Denny wrote:Think ya'll be able to teach it to play backup?
If not, I can play the music, while he passes the hat... hmm... one supposes that works better in an urban setting.
Yes, I s'pose it would...shame really!
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Do let us know how it turns out, Walden...

I went through the same kind of thing in the navy...the "puff test" (where they shoot air at your eye) indicated high pressure, and the eye doc thought he saw some retinal detachment, so I went in for a full day's worth of testing. I assume you'll be doing the same kind of thing since eye pressure can fluctuate througout the day.

I'm interested in how far glaucoma testing has come since I had it done back in '92.. Back then, they took me into a room, and put drops in my eye to numb it. Then I rested my head on a contraption that had a bright light on a little moveable arm, which they touched my eye with. I assume the bright light was to keep me from seeing it clearly so that I wouldn't blink. I hadda do that every half hour for 8 hours. I hope your test isn't nearly as much of a pain in the ass ;)

Glaucoma's pretty treatable, but I hope that you end up either with no problems, or like me, only borderline..I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wanderer wrote:I assume the bright light was to keep me from seeing it clearly so that I wouldn't blink. I hadda do that every half hour for 8 hours. I hope your test isn't nearly as much of a pain in the ass ;)
I reckon I'm a Guinea pig for the university students, so I'll probably get run through the mill. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
TomB

Post by TomB »

DaleWisely wrote:My wife has had glaucoma for, I think, 12 years now. Puts drops in her eyes in the morning and at bedtime. She sees her opth-MD two to four times a year to have her pressures checked and she has a field o'vision exam done annually. She's really had no significant decline in vision. For these years, it's been no more than a nuisance, really. I hope you don't have it and if so, that you have an easy time with it as has Mrs. Undisputed.

Dale
My mom has had glaucoma for upteen years, now. Her routine and results mimic Mrs. Dale's. I realize that all do not.

Hope things go well for you Walden.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Wanderer wrote:Do let us know how it turns out, Walden...

I went through the same kind of thing in the navy...the "puff test" (where they shoot air at your eye) indicated high pressure, and the eye doc thought he saw some retinal detachment, so I went in for a full day's worth of testing. I assume you'll be doing the same kind of thing since eye pressure can fluctuate througout the day.

I'm interested in how far glaucoma testing has come since I had it done back in '92.. Back then, they took me into a room, and put drops in my eye to numb it. Then I rested my head on a contraption that had a bright light on a little moveable arm, which they touched my eye with. I assume the bright light was to keep me from seeing it clearly so that I wouldn't blink. I hadda do that every half hour for 8 hours. I hope your test isn't nearly as much of a pain in the ass ;)

Glaucoma's pretty treatable, but I hope that you end up either with no problems, or like me, only borderline..I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
That sounds like the "Goldman" tonometers. The puff or pneumotonometers weren't considered as accurate so if they registered a higher than normal pressure they'd use the Goldman. The Goldmans apply manual pressure to the cornea and the amount of pressure it takes to flatten the cornea gives you the pressure. They are extremely accurate and are still used extensively. Before the Goldman there was a little hand held gizmo. It was called "indentation tonometry" because it measured how much of a dent it made in the cornea to determine pressure. Not used too much any more.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Well, they finally made me an appointment. I go in for imaging, later this week.
Reasonable person
Walden
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Re: Eye problem

Post by SteveShaw »

Northerner wrote:I also have glaucoma. I take eye drops (four times a day) and have regular eye checks. That's all that I do.

I hope that you don't have glaucoma. But even if you do it's possible to adapt to it fairly easily. Good luck!
Why hello there Northerner. That was my nickname at university though being a Lancashire lad originally I was a bit more "south" than you. Maybe we can banter in real English. Far too many Merkins around here! :D

Good luck with the eye investigations, Walden. Catching these things early (or ruling them out) is half the battle.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!