Wanted: Inexpensive Flute With Authority

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Wanted: Inexpensive Flute With Authority

Post by Chiffed »

My PVC flutes just aren't doing it for me anymore, and I can't afford retail on the 'recommended' beginner flutes.
Here's what I'm looking for:

Loud enough for sessions
Wood or delrin - I'm comfortable with both
Conical
Large embouchure
Older, repaired is fine
keyless or keyed, case or no case
No-name is fine as long as it's a strong player

Thanks in advance for any leads.

Bryce Woollcombe
Last edited by Chiffed on Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Casey Burns folk flute weighs in at about $250.

I think that's probably your best option--you can also keep your eyes open for a used Seery Pratten or M&E R&R, but it's rare to find one of these being offered secondhand.

--James
David Levine

Beginner - New Flute?

Post by David Levine »

If you really are a beginner, don't torture people with your new flute and its big volume. Be aware that you may be overblowing and for God's sake, watch your tuning.
I agree that a PVC flute won't cut it for more than short period of time. My advice would be to get the very best you can afford-- even if it means going into debt. A top quality flute will always bring what you paid for, while a cheaper bargain flute will probably be a losing proposition.
That said, there's a used Hernon going here for $550. Sounds like a bargain.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Well, I enjoy the heck out of my PVC flutes. I make them myself, and they have great dynamic range. I've made a low D, a Bb fife, 2 in G, and a soprano A. Currently working on soprando D fife/picco. I'll always have a handful of homebuilts around, because I take them everywhere, both in and out of doors, and if one is lost or destroyed, I get the joy of making another.

That being said, Santa is bringing me an Irish Flute (rosewood) to supplement my maple Bb fife! :D

Have you been watching E-Bay? They usually have a good selection. There's the usual Pakistani flutes that seem to be generally eschewed by the fluting world (I wouldn't know, I've never bought one), there are genuine works of art that no one can afford, but there always seems to be a selection of flutes available to us mere mortals. :D
Welcome to Uncle John's "Home for Unwanted and Misfit Flutes and Whistles".
Jumbuk

Re: Wanted: Loud Beginner Flute

Post by Jumbuk »

My God! As a beginner, I keep wishing my Sweetheart keyless was not so bloody loud, then no one else in the session would hear my mistakes!

I don't know how the Sweet compares to other flutes, but it seems pretty loud to me. I think they are about the same as the Burns Folk Flute, pricewise.

Serously, I am not sure you really want a loud flute. If you are playing it properly, it should be plenty loud enough. I probably only get the embouchure right about 50% of the time, and the sound is pretty weak and airy when I don't - but this is a bad sound anyway. When I get it right, I am probably the loudest instrument in the session - which I don't want to be just yet. Do you?
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Thanks all. I've got a couple of leads so far, and I'll pick an option in the next coupla days.

Excellent advice, David. I do tend to push too hard on flute (generally reserving the word 'overblow' for its other meaning), so I end up putting natually quieter flutes down and reaching for my old Powell or my Czech Eb. I've been doubling on flutes for about 15 years, so my playing is rarely 'torture' except when I'm tweaking a whistle or voicing a PVC flute. Then again, my family may just be humouring me.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The size of one's embouchure hole doesn't necessarily correspond to the loudness of one's flute.

Loren
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

True 'nuff, Loren, it's just that I've gotten a sweeter and more controlled tone on larger emb. holes that I've tried.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Fair enough, but perhaps you haven't run across enough good flutes yet - Wilkes, Murray, and several other "smaller" holed flutes hold up just fine in the volume and sweetness department. In the end, it's the player, not the size of the embouchure hole that counts.

BTW, it would be easier to recommend some flutes if you specified a price range.

Cheers,

Loren
Denny

Post by Denny »

Chiffed...no one likes loud beginners... :wink:
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Denny wrote:Chiffed...no one likes loud beginners... :wink:
15 years playing silver flutes = not a raw beginner, I expect.
Also, I've been known to work with beginner school bands of 40-60 players. That's LOUD! :D

I need lots more experience with Irish flute, considering that most of what I know has come from the insightful reviews and commentary on this board. I'm just looking for a safe bet that I won't grow out of in a year.

Dollars-wise, I have 327 Canadian dollars, but it looks like I'll have to come up with more.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

In that price range I'd say your best bet would be an Olwell bamboo D, and save the rest towards a flute in the 500-700 (USD) range.

Loren
Dragon

Re: Beginner - New Flute?

Post by Dragon »

BLA BLA BLA

OR if you get sick of the snobbery at sessions go your own way. Most towns have open mics or find other venues to play at. The Irish flute is not picky what kind of music or style you choose to play on it.

There are many sessions out there that give people the cold shoulder and the feeling its an exclusive club. Don’t let that sway you from the flute. There are other musical styles out there.

David Levine wrote:If you really are a beginner, don't torture people with your new flute and its big volume. Be aware that you may be overblowing and for God's sake, watch your tuning.
I agree that a PVC flute won't cut it for more than short period of time. My advice would be to get the very best you can afford-- even if it means going into debt. A top quality flute will always bring what you paid for, while a cheaper bargain flute will probably be a losing proposition.
That said, there's a used Hernon going here for $550. Sounds like a bargain.
“The flute is not an instrument that has a good moral effect; it is too exciting.”

~Aristotle
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

I used 'session' volume as something of an explanatory thing...
My band likes to rehearse without setting up mics, but we've grown to include dulcimer, guitar/mandolin, dobro/guitar, bass, piano, and (sometimes) accordian. I'm playing saxes, whistles, percussion, and silver flute. We're doing more trad, so the saxes are being phased out a bit.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

How about a nice Calmont. It has an embouchure like the silver flute you're used to and plays as an Irish flute and it's not shy on volume. It's also tunable.

£30 including postage to Canada...

PM me if you're interested.

?