A spiritual whistle story - a bit long sorry

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
NancyF
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A spiritual whistle story - a bit long sorry

Post by NancyF »

Last summer, friends, my mother was dying. She was ill for many months and was as helpless as a baby for the last year of her life. I had scheduled and paid for a week at Rocky Mountain Fiddle Camp in August, shortly before which she took a turn for the worst.

She told me she wanted me to go and enjoy myself, so I had to choose between being there for her and dad and doing as she wished. I chose to go, for a number of reasons I won't go into here unless your responses to this prompt me to.

At fiddle camp my whistle teacher was Seamus Mac Conaonaigh of Galway. I won't review his classes in this post, but I would take another class from him if I got the chance. Some of the students in my class insisted he teach us an aire, not a very easy thing to do. For some reason, he agreed and we voted between two he offered us. I voted for the winner and it turned out to be called the Parting of Friends (only in Gaelic and I can't spell it without a bit paper hunt).

When camp was over I raced home in time to spend two more days with Mom. She was comatose but was nonetheless aware of my presence.

The morning after she finally went on to peace, my family visited her church to plan the memorial service with the minister. I mentioned at that meeting to the curate (assistant pastor) that I wanted to play an aire in the sanctuary (a favorite place of Mom's). She gathered up my family and we went in. I played it a couple of times and we left. As we did, the curate, a musician, spoke softly to me to come back after our other meeting and find her.

I did. She led me back into the santuary and said. Ok play that again. when I did she said. Again. And Again. I played that aire perhaps thirty times over. And as I did something remarkable happened.

I began to feel I was pushing my feelings out the whistle. Singing them, throwing them, barfing them?! Out they came. And I could SEE them. They were like ripples in the fabric of the universe.

After a while I was finished. My helper came up and spoke softly with me a few moments then left me there to meditate. I felt so releived you wouldn't believe.

Now whenever I am feeling sad about or remembering Mom I play that little aire and it comforts me. Thank goodness for music and what it gives us. I'm a religious skeptic in many ways and hope I don't start anyone preaching their beliefs at me (it won't work) but I know there is a spiritual side to us humans and I'm no exception. And I know that music is part of that picture. And whistles gave my music a voice.

NancyF
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Thank you Nancy, that was lovely.

Denny
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Wonderful story, really wonderful.

You may or may not be a "believer" in a rigidly religious sense, but you sound like a spiritual person nonetheless. You were able to use your music to tap into that spirituality and come to peace with your mother's passing.
Thanks for sharing this moving tale.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

They say that the origins of music come from the 'crying out' of a person.

There is a scripture in Romans that says the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express'.

This is one of these things that goes beyond our understanding. I say just enjoy it. Music is an amazing thing.

Nacy, thanks for sharing that.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Thank you for your story.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Thanks Nancy. I've been to that spot and music does something right in a way that nothing else can.
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

Thanks for sharing that with us, Nancy.
Music is like all arts, at the beggining it's a way to express our most deep feelings, then, when we have nothing more to express, it becomes a channel for the nature to express itself :)
Cristian Feldman
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Nancy

Thank you. I think I understand. I've been there. Recently.

Best
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I've also been there.

Thank you for sharing, and for helping me to remember.

--James
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

Very beautiful Nancy!! What was the name of the aire?
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
dtravers

Post by dtravers »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote: There is a scripture in Romans that says the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express'.
That sounds pretty neat. Could you tell me which chapter and verse that is? I might find it before you can reply but it would make the search easier. :-P

-Derek-
might be nice to have as a sig file or to do up as some nice calligraphy.
HeronMark

Post by HeronMark »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:

There is a scripture in Romans that says the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express'.

That sounds pretty neat. Could you tell me which chapter and verse that is? I might find it before you can reply but it would make the search easier. :P
Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
NKJV
Psalms 150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes! --Even Fipple Flutes
HeronMark

Post by HeronMark »

...sorry double post...
Psalms 150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes! --Even Fipple Flutes
Skyclad01
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Re: A spiritual whistle story - a bit long sorry

Post by Skyclad01 »

Thats a lovely story.

NancyF wrote:I'm a religious skeptic in many ways and hope I don't start anyone preaching their beliefs at me (it won't work) but I know there is a spiritual side to us humans and I'm no exception.
It is my personal belief that you dont nessissarily have to be religious to be spiritual.
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

The aire is (help me gaelic people) Scairnt N'Gompna or close. I couldn't find it in any of my books even under gan anim.

Nancyf