In honor of Seattle's first snowfall of the season

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:BBeer, thx.

Calvin was a big influence on me. I know Waterson had a lot of problems with the syndicates (distributors, not the mob) but I thought he was going to carry on on-line. Instead he seems to have just withdrawn completely.

djm

:D

I miss Calvin, too.

You'll be pleased to hear that it's absolutely frigid here. No snow yet, but I'm sure we would be having it if there were any in the area.

I've been positively chilled the past few nights. It was 19 C in here this morning, 10 C in the car going to work, and I'm thinking I may need to put on another pair of socks and pants to putter around in this evening.

And tomorrow, I'm going out shopping for something fleecy. Brrrr!
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

Calvin is one of the greatest. In fact I am giving one of the books to my grandson for Christmas.

I lived in Seattle in 1970 and again in 1974, Port Orchard and then Redmund. One year each time. It snowed one time in 1974 but it only lasted about 4 hours. It was the wettest snow I have ever seen with flakes about 2 inches across. It caused a lot of damage by bringing down power lines and tree limbs. The rest of the time it was 55 and raining. It was only about 30 minutes to Snoqualmie pass. Now there was some snow.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

We had 6 inches of new snow in our backyard in Spokane.

Looking for a low of 26F (or -3C) tonight, with an 80% chance of more snow.

For you former Washingtonians - Snoqualimie has been restricted to one lane in each direction for the past month due to rockslides. I guess it was really a mess for Thanksgiving and for the Apple Cup. They hope to have all the lanes open by Christmas.

My husband's name is Calvin. He always liked Calvin and Hobbes.
Charlene
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:You'll be pleased to hear that it's absolutely frigid here. No snow yet, but I'm sure we would be having it if there were any in the area.

I've been positively chilled the past few nights. It was 19 C in here this morning, 10 C in the car going to work, and I'm thinking I may need to put on another pair of socks and pants to putter around in this evening.

10°C is t-shirt weather. At 19°C I am poring sweat.

I busted my poor tired old buns for nearly three hours to clean out the lane ... and then it started to snow again. Arrrrgh! And then the plow came by. AAARRRRRGH! Still, there is nothing quite like a big 12" layer of snow to transform the world. I don't have a Hobbes, but he was certainly right about it being a whole new world. I wonder what certain woolly parties would think of being dinged with a snowball. Getting hit in Florida would be even more unexpected than being hit indoors. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
Lambchop wrote:You'll be pleased to hear that it's absolutely frigid here. No snow yet, but I'm sure we would be having it if there were any in the area.

10°C is t-shirt weather. At 19°C I am poring sweat.

I busted my poor tired old buns for nearly three hours to clean out the lane ... and then it started to snow again. Arrrrgh! And then the plow came by. AAARRRRRGH! Still, there is nothing quite like a big 12" layer of snow to transform the world. I don't have a Hobbes, but he was certainly right about it being a whole new world. I wonder what certain woolly parties would think of being dinged with a snowball. Getting hit in Florida would be even more unexpected than being hit indoors. :D

djm

Ah, playful are we? I would have thought all that snow removal would have blunted your friskiness.

I've resorted to boot socks, thick athletic pants, a camisole, a thickish t-shirt, computer gloves, and a Winnie-the-Pooh sweatshirt that comes halfway down to my knees.

It's 61F/16C here at the moment.

Sigh. This happens every year. You see, we don't have "fall." We go from upper 90s, to a few weeks of mid-80s, and then plummet straight down to a hard freeze like this nearly overnight.

Oh, that reminds me, I intended to check the LLBean website for furry slippers . . .
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

No snow here in Canada's banana belt, a little bit during the week but it is all gone, the sun is out, the wind has died down, rather a very pleasing morning here! Calvin would be hard pressed to make any kind of snowman/woman here.

And Calvin is missed immensely, the only real cartoon stripped that I loved to read.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:I've resorted to boot socks, thick athletic pants, a camisole, a thickish t-shirt, computer gloves, and a Winnie-the-Pooh sweatshirt that comes halfway down to my knees.
And nothing else? LC, you are incorrigible! :o
MarkB wrote:No snow here in Canada's banana belt
Yes, and you're only a couple hours drive away to the west from here. I guess you folks don't get the lake effect stuff. I suppose its only remarkable here in that yesterday morning there was no snow at all, and in one day it is now totally transformed.

djm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
Lambchop wrote:I've resorted to boot socks, thick athletic pants, a camisole, a thickish t-shirt, computer gloves, and a Winnie-the-Pooh sweatshirt that comes halfway down to my knees.
And nothing else? LC, you are incorrigible! :o
I had some more stuff ready to put on, just in case, but it turned out that was all I needed. It's a sure sign I'm getting acclimated.
Mr. Frosty wrote:
MarkB wrote:No snow here in Canada's banana belt
Yes, and you're only a couple hours drive away to the west from here. I guess you folks don't get the lake effect stuff. I suppose its only remarkable here in that yesterday morning there was no snow at all, and in one day it is now totally transformed.

djm

Umm, like, how else would it be? I mean, isn't that how snow IS? First you don't have it, then it all falls down, and then it's all transformed?

That's how I've always seen it . . . no snow . . . and then . . . snow. :-?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:Umm, like, how else would it be? I mean, isn't that how snow IS? First you don't have it, then it all falls down, and then it's all transformed?
:lol:
Fell down again last night here in the greater Seattle area...
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Wow! Neat, Denny! It looks just like a Christmas card!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:Wow! Neat, Denny! It looks just like a Christmas card!
We are suffering, tis true!

Got lucky on that shot...didn't I!
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:First you don't have it, then it all falls down, and then it's all transformed?
Bless your innocence. There is a big difference between getting a light frosting of snow all over everything, and getting 12" dumped on you in under one day. Its like the difference between a wave coming up to your knees, and a sea that comes in and knocks you on your keester.

If you're really cold, LC, you might want to look into getting a fleece liner. They started out as removal parka liners, but they're so darn comfortable that everyone here wears them instead of house jackets or sweaters. They're like a big sweat shirt only they're a softer fleece and fuzzy and warm and snuggly, and they have a collar and zipper up the front and big pockets. I practically live in them.

djm