The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jim stone

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Post by jim stone »

Well, it's nearly here. Looks like it will be good (or good enough).
A review below. The director did Shrek I and II.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe B+
Walt Disney Pictures / Walden Media

Year Released: 2005
MPAA Rating: PG
Director: Andrew Adamson
Writers: Ann Peacock, Andrew Adamson, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely (based on the book by C.S. Lewis)
Cast: Tilda Swinton, Georgie Henley, Skandar Keynes, Anna Popplewell, William Moseley, James McAvoy, Jim Broadbent, James Cosmo, Kiran Shah, Liam Neeson, Ray Winstone, Dawn French, Rupert Everett.

Review by Rob Vaux

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a fine film with much to be proud of. Its only shortcomings arise from sky-high expectations and the nebulous yardstick used to gauge them. With the hammerlock Peter Jackson put on the fantasy genre, every step is measured against near-perfection, and with legions of fans waiting with baited breath, the margin for error is nil. The high-wire act performed by director Andrew Adamson and his crew doesn't quite astound the way The Lord of the Rings did; we've seen it before, after all, and in more challenging variations. But with that reality acknowledged, the results still merit an enthusiastic round of applause. For not only does Adamson do right by C.S. Lewis' beloved book, but he sets the stage for a very promising new franchise.

Certainly, Lewis is much easier to translate than Tolkien. His prose is crisper, his plots simpler, and his narrative flow smoother. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is an extremely accessible book, written for Lewis' goddaughter, and capable of being enjoyed by any bright eight-year-old. (Contrast that with The Lord of the Rings, whose lengthy ramblings can confound all but the most dedicated readers.) Adamson's task, then, is not to render Lewis more appetizing (as Jackson did with Tolkien), but to preserve the book's innate appeal for the big screen. This he accomplishes with considerable skill, making only minimal changes to take advantage of the medium's visual demands, and treating the bulk of the text as scripture. He presents us with the magical land of Narnia, populated by mythic creatures and ruled by a thinly disguised Christian allegory named Aslan (the lion of the title, voiced by Liam Neeson). Adamson, whose background is in visual effects, charges fearlessly ahead in bringing Narnia to life, and while many of the details are obviously CGI, they retain the sense of wonder that they held in the book. Talking animals, for example, are a staple of this world, from Aslan down to the smallest mouse and ferret. They appear onscreen as major -- and indeed beloved -- characters, and need to interact with human performers on an extended scale. The artifice is always there: Aslan looks like a cunning effect rather than a real lion, while figures such as Mr. and Mrs. Beaver (voiced by Ray Winstone and Dawn French) routinely betray their pixilated origins. And yet we still believe in them; their spirit and personality are adroitly captured, and while the tools used to bring them to life leave a mark, the film's unswerving dedication to their essence overcomes any objections.

So is it with the rest of Narnia, created on sets and blue screens that nevertheless invoke the potent sparks of Lewis' imagination. The icy castle of the White Witch (Tilda Swinton), who has enslaved Narnia in Aslan's absence, captures a palpable sense of dread, while the wintry forest around it turns slowly but unmistakably green with the lion's return. Such elements are inspirations, partially for their technical expertise, but primarily because they perfectly encapsulate the key moments of the book. We believe in them because Adamson and his crew do, not because the effects have tricked us.

The director is on somewhat slipperier footing with his human actors; here, his lack of experience shows through sometimes, and the literal approach to Lewis' text results in occasional patches of clunky dialogue. But such a good cast has been assembled, and so enthusiastically do they pursue their work, that it scarcely matters. Chief among them are the four Pevensie children -- Peter (William Moseley), Susan (Anna Popplewell), Edmund (Skandar Keynes), and Lucy (Georgie Henley) -- who have been sent to the English countryside to avoid the Blitz, and who discover Narnia through a magic wardrobe on their host's estate. The script fleshes them out in ways only sketched in Lewis' work, giving each a full-blooded sense of personality. Peter, the eldest child, longs to join the fight against Germany despite being too young; the journey to Narnia provides him with the heroics he desires in a land where his age is no longer a liability. Edmund, the most morally compromised of the four, must tread a delicate path through betrayal and redemption without appearing contradictory, while Susan provides a voice of rationality that can't quite believe it when the woodland critters start talking to them. The toughest role is perhaps Lucy's, the youngest and wisest of the four, who must provide sound advice and uncompromised morals while avoiding overt precociousness. Henley embodies the character like she was born to it, making hers the most memorable performance in the film. But the other three children come swiftly behind, turning in expert portrayals that will have longtime fans nodding in approval.

The more fantastic characters are equally impressive. Swinton's White Witch is a knockout, as expected: delivered with chilly detachment and an unsettling bloodlessness that makes a nice departure from traditional villain histrionics. Another standout is James McAvoy, playing the faun Tumnus who befriends Lucy when she first arrives in Narnia. The dynamics between them are extremely delicate: an adult male figure interacting with a little girl can draw down The Creepy like a bolt of lightning. Yet McAvoy brings a gentle compassion to the role, conveying a sense of innocence and goodwill rather than predatory indulgence.

Indeed, the rest of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe adroitly follows his example, finding the right tone and sticking to it. Though fast-paced and exciting, it's not too intense for younger viewers, nor will it bore older audience members by talking below their level. Adamson preserves the story's religious overtones without cramming them down our throats, and provides a nice segue from modern England to medieval Narnia with a few subtle touches of the pastoral. As an accomplishment, the film suffers from only the slightest of letdowns, emphasizing accuracy over true transcendence. But with the trail already blazed by The Lord of the Rings, there's only so much it can do to blow our socks off. It can be forgiven, then, for hedging its bets a bit. It loves its source, it honors its creator, and it gives the fans an adaptation worthy of their devotion. That's more than most movies even pretend to... and there may be plenty more to come.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Mr Tumnus was a major character in my life. How has he fared in the film?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I could tell from the preview I saw in the theater that the special effects would be decent, but I was concerned about how much they might stray from the book. That review is very encouraging! Thanks for posting it.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

My concern is making the story too big. The Chronicles of Narnia are simple stories with simple plots and simple meaning.... I fear that TLWatW may be too busy, too filled with effects etc... etc.... that I fear may ruin the tale.

As a kid, I read and re-read these stories until the books disintergrated.... I read LOTR ten times as many.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I won't see it, I guess. All it took was to read it's the same director as Shrek I and II. Lion, Witch, Wardrobe filled with potty humor. Lovely.

Susan
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I've read the Narnia books many times as a child and loved them.

I hope they make a good movie...at some point, I will probably see it, though not while in the theaters.

I do think it's a bit off-base to compare it against the Lord of the Rings; I suppose the comparisons are inevitable, but the stories are really not comparable.

Narnia is a child's book on a child's level, and is at its best when it stays on the level of fast, fun adventure. It's weakness is that there's not enough sugar in the spoon to cover up the taste of the fish oil: these books are supposed to be good for you, and it starts to show as the series drags on into preachiness and watered-down theology.

I am hoping that the movie won't fall into this trap. If they try to make it good for you, I fear it may fail on that and on all counts.

--James
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I don't think there will be potty humor.
Not The Lion, the Witch and the Chamber Pot.

Apparently the people who did it did it with a strong
respect for Lewis's book. Well, seeing it will be
what decides it all for me.

Disney seems to be walking an interesting line
with the Christian message of the movie.
Apparently it's there, alright, but not in the
viewer's face, as it were. However there are
special screenings for churches; no question that
Disney is trying to capture the market that The Passion
showed is there.

I think it would be wonderful if there were a good
commercial movie about St. Francis. I believe
there was some discussion of Mel G directing one,
but it seems to have come to nothing.

I would like to see a movie about a saint that
wasn't hagiography. I remember reading in The Lives
of The Saints how Francis, dying, was carried back
to his monastery, 'nearly insane with pain.'
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

The movie about Martin Luther a few years back fell into the hagiography trap, unfortunately.

(Coincidentally odd topic for my first 4-digit post, considering that my screen name is drawn from a pivotal event in Luther's life.)

Back on topic, one of the people I teach with took a class in grad school on C.S. Lewis. Apparently he was quite the neoplatonist. . . and there are a few more levels to Narnia then Christianity in child-compatible form.

THough I don;t consider myself a Christian, the Narnia books do remind me of why I still have a tremendous amount of respect for that faith.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Me too. And Lewis is apologizing for a pretty conservative
version of Christianity. Which can be surprising.
I've mentioned that one of the worshippers of Tash,
the false and evil God, sees in Tash only good,
and when the End comes he's found among those
on their way to heaven, having been worshipping
Christ all along without knowing it. This is
Aquinas's doctrine of the good pagan, who
worships Jesus via a pagan god, not knowing
he is doing so.

Saw the luther movie too. Not bad, but Joseph Fiennes
is nothing like Luther.

By the way, the Catholic church appears to be about
to revise the teaching of limbo, where unbaptized
babies go. No more limbo. Aquinas characterized
it as a peaceful and quiet place where the
babies would experience as much of God's presence
as their nature would allow.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I fear that TLWatW may be too busy, too filled with effects etc... etc.... that I fear may ruin the tale.
The Playstation game is out already! Explosions Galore! :lol:

DEFEAT EVIL, FREE NARNIA!

BATTLE SIDE BY SIDE IN CO-OP MODE
CONQUER THE FORCES OF EVIL.
COMBINE CHARACTERS FOR SPECIAL MOVES.
PLAY AS ALL FOUR HEROES.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

flanum wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:I fear that TLWatW may be too busy, too filled with effects etc... etc.... that I fear may ruin the tale.

PLAY AS ALL FOUR HEROES.

... wonderful. :lol:
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

susnfx wrote:I won't see it, I guess. All it took was to read it's the same director as Shrek I and II. Lion, Witch, Wardrobe filled with potty humor. Lovely.

Susan
Based on teaser trailers and the above review, if one were so inclined to read it in order to make an informed decision, it's a pretty base assumption to assume that the movie will be full of "potty humor."
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

flanum wrote:

PLAY AS ALL FOUR HEROES.

I saw a TV ad for this. OMFrollickingG, Lewis is probably spinning like a top, wherever he is. He made it explicitly clear that he was against a live-action adaptation of the books. A Narnia videogame. . . proof positive that western capitalism can pervert absolutely anything.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Uh...from where I'm sitting, looks to me that this came pre-perverted. No intervention necessary. :twisted:

--James
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

jim stone wrote:
By the way, the Catholic church appears to be about
to revise the teaching of limbo, where unbaptized
babies go. No more limbo. Aquinas characterized
it as a peaceful and quiet place where the
babies would experience as much of God's presence
as their nature would allow.
Limbo never was an official teaching of the church, you know. It was one attempt to try to explain what might happen to unbaptized innocents, but was never taught as doctrine.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!