Something I noticed 32 years ago, and then a few minutes ago

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

djm wrote:Yes, I think Dale's on the right track. We are talking personal tastes, and no-one can be right. Wombat's personal assaults are directed towards others' tastes, and vaunt his own preferences, which to me are crap, but that's just my own tastes, and I can't be more right than anyone else, either.

djm
Speaking from the right track, let me ask that you just take it easy. I think you're overreacting to Wombat's posts and meeting what you believe to be a personal attack with a personal attack of your own.
djm

Post by djm »

Are you speaking personally? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

djm wrote:Are you speaking personally? :D

djm
I have no idea what you mean but I like owls.
djm

Post by djm »

Me too. They're way cool. Is that the Holy Hand-grenade of Antioch in the trunk?

I loved Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast ...

djm
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

DaleWisely wrote:I have no idea what you mean but I like owls.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

I've been gone too long, you guys this coversation is just what i needed.

I love PF, Yes, Genesis, Supertramp, Kansas, The Who, CSNY, CCR, ZZ Top, the Eagles, John Prine, Jimmie Buffet . But i only listen to them during extreme cases of hippie nostalgia, brought on, never mind not going there.

I also love a set of groups in any of 12 other musical genre. Discussing within-genra may be more productive than making genre compete. Or at least I think it is two different types of topics.

Love you guys,

Nancyf
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

djm wrote:Me too. They're way cool. Is that the Holy Hand-grenade of Antioch in the trunk?

djm
Yes. I am about to lobbeth it into the UP forum. In my mercy.
djm

Post by djm »

DaleW wrote:I am about to lobbeth it into the UP forum.
Girls just wanna have fun. Let'em pull a few ribbons out. You've got people cruisin' lookin' for a fight, and people daring them to with foolish behaviour. Family squabbles are best left to be sorted internally without constant policemanship. The only person who gets worn down by all this is the policeman. Let them settle it themselves.

djm
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

there never again will be music written the way that pf did it. I get the chills each time I hear the tracks. I was not toooo fond of the wall, but everything before the wall does/did it for me. .
there are simply no words to describe the feeling I get when listening to pf..

be careful with that axe, eugene.. :twisted:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

amar wrote:there never again will be music written the way that pf did it. I get the chills each time I hear the tracks. I was not toooo fond of the wall, but everything before the wall does/did it for me. .
there are simply no words to describe the feeling I get when listening to pf..

be careful with that axe, eugene.. :twisted:
Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

DaleWisely wrote:
amar wrote:be careful with that axe, eugene.. :twisted:
Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk!

(Piper at the Gates of Dawn gets all too little attention. Probably my favorite Floyd album. Yay, Syd Barrett!)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

I Love Obscured By Clouds. If you're going to get any of their concert videos, make it the Delicate Sound of Thunder. MAN! what a concert. I don't know why they refuse to re-issue it on DVD.

Speaking of old burned-out hippy stuff, did anyone catch the PBS broadcast this evening of Cream's re-union at RAH from May 2005? I still have Crossroads playing over and over between both brain cells. :boggle:

djm
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

NancyF wrote:I've been gone too long, Nancyf
I'll say. Where ya been Nancy?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

DaleWisely wrote:
djm wrote:Yes, I think Dale's on the right track. We are talking personal tastes, and no-one can be right. Wombat's personal assaults are directed towards others' tastes, and vaunt his own preferences, which to me are crap, but that's just my own tastes, and I can't be more right than anyone else, either.

djm
Speaking from the right track, let me ask that you just take it easy. I think you're overreacting to Wombat's posts and meeting what you believe to be a personal attack with a personal attack of your own.
Thanks Dale. I'm amazed djm took those comments personally. Far from thinking PF to be crap, I admitted to owning several of their records. And there were plenty of disclaimers. I simply experience PF (and several other popular prog rock bands) as hugely overrated, but I don't think they are bad, nor do I think their fans are tasteless or stupid. Most of us like trashy music from our youth—I certainly do—but I don't think any of those prog bands come even close to being trashy, not that that would imply 'bad' the way I think about music. Furthermore, I made it quite clear that I was interested in being pointed in the direction of evidence that I was wrong. (Thanks for your suggestions Dale, but I'd given up on them by the time of Dark Side of the Moon. Perhaps that's really where they finally started to deliver on what seemed to me like unfulfilled promise. By that I mean that their earlier records all contained stuff I liked and other stuff that just didn't seem to be hitting the mark.)

There would have been no point in my simply asking 'What's so good about Gilmour/PF.' I'd simply be told stuff I've already heard and which seems to fly in the face of what I'm hearing. The point of making specific derogatory remarks was to goad PF fans into addressing those particular concerns—I'm not alone in having them. So, if anyone can supply a bit more detail to Dale's suggestions I'd be grateful.

I should have thought the point of my posts was blindingly obvious. If I am missing something really important, please set me right but please do so by addressing the impressions that are standing in my way. A love of dissonance for its own sake or of musical cleverness for its own sake have absolutely nothing to do with my feelings here.
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Been off playing tenor guitar (what a traitor). Not really, I still play my whistles a lot. I dunno where have I been? Off in old hippie land I guess.

I've been having a lot of fun hosting house concerts, going to music fests, taking guitar lessons, things are better since my long suffering mom went on to a better place.

I tend to get real intense into whatever I'm into at the moment and I ignore the rest of the world. I still love this place though.

Peace, Nancy