Favorite/inconclusive/most recurring topic

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What is your favorite recurring C&F theme?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:01 am

My whistle clogs; what should I do?
8%
Will I get Alzheimer's from playing aluminum whistles?
5%
What is chiff?
32%
Is Azalin really the Devil?
14%
Is Amar really the Devil?
3%
Is Bloomfield really the Devil?
8%
Other?
30%

Total votes: 37

PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Favorite/inconclusive/most recurring topic

Post by PhilO »

What is your favorite or most often recurring inconclusive thread topic?

Mine is the use of dupanol and other cleansers for the seemingly endless problem of clogging. Now, I've owned and played over a hundred whistles over the years and never encountered a clogging problem that could not be readily solved by means of the old blow and shake method at most at the end of each whole tune. Is it the whistle or the whistler? Are ye spittin' in the whistle lads? Don't spit in the whistle.

As for aluminum - although research is inconclusive and it seems to depend on the type of aluminum molecules, whether it's sealed, etc., Erle - no ongoing consumption in quantity of any particles is good, so when in doubt cut it out. I'd rather lose the Syn than you and those new brass ones are just dandy. There is a major difference between putting a finished aluminum whistle in your mouth to play and actually working with the stuff to produce and finish the whistles.

I've finally adopted the definition of chiff as that wonderfully rewarding little attck noise when the tone hole seems to pop as you strike it (in accordance pretty much with that organ pipe definition) and have rejected the general airiness definition.

Bloomfield is the Devil.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

Other.

As in, "Why are flutes so much more expensive than whistles? They're both just tubes with a few holes in them."

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I went for other...

Dots v Ears seems to have come up time and again since i've been here (and i haven't been here very long either).

?
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I went for the what is chiff.

bloomy's the devil.
Arka

Post by Arka »

what is chiff? :P
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Dots vs. Ears gets my vote.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I voted other. My favorite is "slow airs"---what they are, how to play them, etc.

"What is chiff" is a good one too. I don't seem to have it at all if it is a popping sound :lol: . Are we supposed to have that?

I thought we had established that Bloomfield was actually Gunther. If amar is Gunther II, I guess that would mean that Bloomfield is amar's father. :boggle: :o :boggle:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I voted other. Lead fipples have come up way more than aluminum issues of late and even got a thread locked if I am not mistaken??? For the amount of time that each whistle is played and the nearly countless ways to isolate ones mouth from the lead......

Now, what was the subject again, I can't seem to remember.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Voted Other. What whistle would you recommend....? :)
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I voted Bloomfield is the Devil. He's talented and funny . . . no other explanation seems possible. :devil:
Keith
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Tommy's got the right idea.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The one where I wonder about people thinking they highlight the quality of an instrument by recording themselves displaying an inability to grasp the basics of rhythm and intonation hasn't been up for a while.
andymac

Post by andymac »

The most commonly occuring thread topics seem to be: "what does everyone think of Burkes?" then "Which Burke should I get?" followed by "Burke for sale" closely followed by "FS Burke Reduced"
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Wow, 5 people think Azalin is the Devil!

Cool avatar, Andymac,

J.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Other - "I have been playing for a week and a half whenever I get a chance. But my whistle is no good because it squeaks and squawks all the time and it won't play in the second octave. What whistle should I buy?"

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.