Hi.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scheky »

Whistles too low end?

It's so cute when they are new and fresh faced and haven't priced a Copeland yet.
~mughph

fdahjk~

Post by ~mughph »

Hmmm... OH! AHAHAHA! That's quite funny. I can't imagine a province with a code XD. That would be quite amusing... ^_^

For awhile, I couldn't find this post. I don't know why. Has it been deleted or something, or am I going crazy? I couldn't find it using the regular link, and when I tried to from my email account, it told me that the topic didn't exist... oO;

Maybe it's because I didn't sign in. ANYWAY, SHAWNA! YAY for free whistles. MUAHAHAHA, we will take over Old Scona. Muahaha...

Um, I'm going to go now. I will reply tomorrow, when I'm done with my English commentary. Stupid IB. Why am I sooo dumb...? Mr Fahlman hates me... T_T WAAAAAAH!

Sorry I couldn't lend you the Math homework. I owe you one, I promise. Just ask if you ever need it again...

Anyway, back on topic, um... 666th post? Cool. I'm on, like... my fourth? AHAHAHA! Yay! Anyway, I think we should learn more songs by heart so that Emy actually thinks that we're good. >>;

Yes, the end. That's all I had to say. Maybe I'll look up some music on the Internet, yo.

XD. I mean... EX-DEE! LMAO.

-- Sam (oops, I mean ~mughph... AAAGH!)
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

scheky wrote:It's so cute when they are new and fresh faced and haven't priced a Copeland yet.
Priced it, ordered it - nearly as excitable waiting for it. :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
~mughph

Indeed. NO ONE SEES THESE!

Post by ~mughph »

Ahaha? Copeland? ><; I feel now, indeed, very fresh. *googles it* Yikes!! 400,00$?! Ah-hum, I think I'll stick with my cheap twelve-dollar whistle... ^_^ The three-part brass one is almost 500... *le shock*

Actually, I just googled my own whistle and found it priced at about...

7,95$...

YES! I was ripped off!! No wonder I can never get a decent sound out of my own... T_T

Hmmm, I feel very new now. I hope I never actually catch WhOA and have an unparalleled urge to spend that much money on a tin whistle... not that it wouldn't be fun. GAAH!

Shawna, you are not visiting the forum... I feel like a nerd when I'm here by myself. But then again... aren't we all...? OSAians... Waaah~

Uh, I have nothing else to say.
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

Jerry Freeman wrote:My idea in offering you 10 of them would be that you could share them with your friends. They do nothing for me sitting in a box on my workshop shelf.
That is just about the nicest thing I have ever seen. You rock, Jerry!
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Indeed. NO ONE SEES THESE!

Post by Scott McCallister »

~mughph wrote:... Hmmm, I feel very new now. I hope I never actually catch WhOA and have an unparalleled urge to spend that much money on a tin whistle... not that it wouldn't be fun. GAAH!
I suppose a lot of folks here who own Copelands, (myself included) are now thinking that it would be better to have your energy and exuberance and a $12 whistle, than the Copeland that doesn't get enough play because we work at jobs that keep us from the instrument. (I'm reminded of the Ben Franklin essay about paying too much for your whistle) Kind of an evil cycle. Need the job to afford a Copeland that then keeps you from playing the whistle anyway. :P :lol:

On second thought, I'll take the Copeland. I bet you will too eventually. Just remember, in the grand scheme of things, whistles (even Copelands) are cheap. Go price some Uilleann Pipes or a fiddle that is worth playing.

I knew a girl in college (wayyy back in 1987-- were you even alive then??! Somehow I don't feel so new...) who was very excited about getting a violin that was already 75 years old. She was equally excited that she was getting such a good deal on it. Only $20,000! (remember… 1987 dollars!) She planned to spend quite a bit more on a bow as well.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! You two are hilarious!

So you pronounce "~mughph".... "muff" ?

Scott
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

oskan_oskula

Post by oskan_oskula »

Ah yes, the question of price...
My sister is a classical Violist... she has a bow that, if pawned, could buy my car twice over. It's a pretty sh*t car, but still... A BOW.

Needless to say I get a few ribs and jabs (from my sister, and the rest of the classically trained, ridiculously talented, debt-laden family) about my choice in instrument.

But considering the downsize from my concert flute and piccolo (both more expensive than I care to mention), and then my Irish flute (which I still play and love, and it was only fifty bucks), I think the tinwhistle was an excellent choice for a poor University student like myself. (WhOA diagnoses aside...)

Not to mention the traveling aspect-- the little sucker fits in my briefcase, and if it gets bent or lost (Gods forbid!) it's an easy replacement.

I'm so glad to have found a group as enthusiastic as I am!

Viva le tinwhistle! Tweeter of the common (wo)man!
Blessings and Song!
~May V. Oskan.
fearfaoin

Re: fdahjk~

Post by fearfaoin »

Scott McCallister wrote:So you pronounce "~mughph".... "muff"?
Since ~ is used before a login name in Unix to denote the
user's home directory, I thought it would be "home of muff"...

But apparantly, you pronounce it "Sam":
~mughph wrote:-- Sam (oops, I mean ~mughph... AAAGH!)
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

yo, dudes, welcome to the club. :D
HeronMark

Post by HeronMark »

wow, this post has been truly amazing. even I feel old... XD... ((just wanted to try that one out))

wow, 10 free whistles, if I gave one to each of my 5 brothers and my sister, it would drive my mother nuts, but then I could give her one and then they would drive each other nuts. XD... ooo that was fun

anyhow, Welcome and enjoy.

http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/
http://www.chivalry.com/cantaria/
http://breizhpartitions.free.fr/en/p_sc ... sse&page=3
http://www.lunasa.ie/lunasa.php?mp=2&pg=77

here are some sites that might help you, both in inspiration and some sheet music. they helped me at least

once again, fearadh na fáilte, welcome :)
Psalms 150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes! --Even Fipple Flutes
~mughph

:PPPPPPPPP...

Post by ~mughph »

I'm not sure how to quote. So, um, if you said something, um... I'll try to keep this short enough that I won't cause eternal confusion that will cause the earth to sink to havoccccc!!

Hmmm, energy and exuberance are okay, I guess, but not if you suck. HAHAHAHA! It doesn't matter at OSA how much energy you have... because we'll still get the same comments during lunch... until we improve, that is. ^_^ Actually, I don't think I'll take you up on the offer of pricing out fiddles. I own a fairly decent violin... and let's just say it cost quite a bit more than a Copeland. I don't even want to know how much some of those other things cost. No way. And, awwww! Thanks for the welcome! Everyone here seems a lot nicer than they are on other forums... =D

And, uh, naah. "Moof," not "muff." AHAHA! There's a story behind the name. A friend of mine was commenting on how his English name wasn't his real name, that he had a Chinese name, too, right? So I said I had a Polish name other than my real name (which is Sam, BTW)... and sort of said "moof" on the spot. I didn't even think up the spelling until later. Anyway, I guess it sort of stuck. Even though it isn't really Polish at all... XP

HAHAHA! I never knew that the ~ meant a home directory. I don't get Unix at all... I put that after lots of exclamations, too (ex, waaah~). But it's interesting to think about. I'll keep that in mind the next time I use it! =P

Yeah, cripes. Ten free whistles?! We're handing them out all over the school. Or perhaps, I think we were considering giving them out as Christmas presents so that people would think we actually paid for them... though, that would be dishonest. Yay, and now we'll both have a C whistle! We won't have as many pitch issues! And octave issues! And playing issues! And key issues! ...

And thanks so much for the links! They may prove to be helpful, indeed, but seeing as I'm replying to this at my mom's office... I might have to wait before I listen. Hahaha...

Anyway. I think that's all I had to reply to. If anyone else commented and stuff... um... especially Shawna -- OMG, REPLYYYYYY!! -- thanks so much for the welcome, again, and all other such things. It took me awhile to realize most people here were older than me; tin whistle must have a reverse-aging effect on people. And, actually, to everyone who commented on how they feel old: Um, being younger just makes you realize just how many more years you have in your life to suffer from WhOA. How many tin whistles will we own 20 years from now? 40? 60? 80?! Scary. That's a lot of money.

That's all I have to say. I can never end these things... GAAH, just like telephone calling, Shawna. OMG. I don't think I'll call you tomorrow. Though, was I going to? I don't remember.

Okay, the end.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

By all means, give them as Christmas presents if you're so inclined. They're new, nice whistles, and quite a unique gift. I included 10 fingering charts with them to get people started. Mail to Canada (only 65 miles from here) is slow, so be patient. They'll get there by and by.

Yes, this is a great place. Some of the nicest people in the world hang out here.

Best wishes,
Jerry