Whistle problem

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tou-Che
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistle problem

Post by Tou-Che »

I just bought a alum. narrow bore D burke whistle. My problem: when i go to clear the spit out, it seeps through the mouth peice. the only thing that i can think of is that the plastic shrunk and its not a air tight seal due to the climate changes it endured. Any ideas how to fix this.
Screeeech!!!
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Would it not be a good idea to speak to Michael first?

?
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Talk to Mike.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Whistle problem

Post by amar »

stlcurtain6n5 wrote:I just bought a alum. narrow bore D burke whistle. My problem: when i go to clear the spit out, it seeps through the mouth peice. the only thing that i can think of is that the plastic shrunk and its not a air tight seal due to the climate changes it endured. Any ideas how to fix this.
same thing with my burke. I used superglue in that crack of the mouthpiece, filed it down nicely. works just fine, but needs repeating. I don't play my burke too often anymore, so i'm ok with that now, but it was quite annoying.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I believe I noticed this on my Burke also. I felt that I was blowing out very hard to clear the whistle and the amount of spit that showed in the seams was quite small. I didn't feel it was a problem myself. Spit didn't show up in the crack during regular playing or when I blew it out more gently. But I am not an experienced player.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
amar

Post by amar »

Cynth wrote:I believe I noticed this on my Burke also. I felt that I was blowing out very hard to clear the whistle and the amount of spit that showed in the seams was quite small. I didn't feel it was a problem myself. Spit didn't show up in the crack during regular playing or when I blew it out more gently. But I am not an experienced player.
I found it fairly annoying, because while playing, my chin got wet. not very comfy...
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

Acetal does expand and contract a bit with changes in temperature, and no glue will stick to it very well.
If moisture ever finds a crack, it can seep back through the mouthpiece and leak out... though there should only be a tiny amount if the fipple plug is properly fitted.
I've experienced minor leakage with Burkes, and with my own whistles... but never enough to consider it a problem.
The mouthpiece assembly is held together with a pin, since glueing isn't an option... it's just the nature of the material and mouthpiece design to possibly leak a little bit around the fipple plug.
I've noticed that the problem usually clears itself up after a while... particles are carried into the cracks by the seeping condensation, and eventually form a seal.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
amar

Post by amar »

raindog1970 wrote:Acetal does expand and contract a bit with changes in temperature, and no glue will stick to it very well.
If moisture ever finds a crack, it can seep back through the mouthpiece and leak out... though there should only be a tiny amount if the fipple plug is properly fitted.
I've experienced minor leakage with Burkes, and with my own whistles... but never enough to consider it a problem.
The mouthpiece assembly is held together with a pin, since glueing isn't an option... it's just the nature of the material and mouthpiece design to possibly leak a little bit around the fipple plug.
I've noticed that the problem usually clears itself up after a while... particles are carried into the cracks by the seeping condensation, and eventually form a seal.
you mean like chips and peanuts? :o

talk about revolting posts....

JOSEPH!!

:D
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

amar wrote:
Cynth wrote:I believe I noticed this on my Burke also. I felt that I was blowing out very hard to clear the whistle and the amount of spit that showed in the seams was quite small. I didn't feel it was a problem myself. Spit didn't show up in the crack during regular playing or when I blew it out more gently. But I am not an experienced player.
I found it fairly annoying, because while playing, my chin got wet. not very comfy...
Grow a nice, thick beard (see my avatar). It'll still get wet, but you won't notice it. (But if you kiss someone, she might. :P )
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think you should talk to Michael Burke about this before trying anything yourself.

I have two Burkes and neither has ever had this problem.

--James
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I have 5 Burkes and I never had this problem with them or any other whistles I'v had.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Happens on mine also...never enough to bother me, but its definitely there.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

amar wrote:
raindog1970 wrote:Acetal does expand and contract a bit with changes in temperature, and no glue will stick to it very well.
you mean like chips and peanuts? :o

talk about revolting posts....

JOSEPH!!

:D
Oh, no, dear! It's not that bad! I don't think he meant chips and peanuts. Peanuts would be too clumpy!

I think it's more likely to be the minerals in saliva along with some bacterial colonization.

And maybe some fungus.
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

raindog1970 wrote: I've noticed that the problem usually clears itself up after a while... particles are carried into the cracks by the seeping condensation, and eventually form a seal.
I had the same problem with my Burke narrow bore and I agree with raindog.
:) Rini
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Darwin wrote: Grow a nice, thick beard (see my avatar).
Dang, Darwin!

I always wondered what your avatar was?!?!?

Oooooo