This is a great site

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
n4vgm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

This is a great site

Post by n4vgm »

Just a brief hello from a new whistler. Actually they haven't arrived yet. I play guitar and drums and have a music degree (don't hold that against me) but wanted to learn a purely melodic instrument. After investigating the flute I discovered the penny whistle.

There sure seems to be a lot of info on the net for the whistle and since I want to teach my wife to play as well I found some great tips (obviously ignoring the one about teaching your wife anything).

Also, I teach adult education guitar classes and thought that the whistle would be another instrument for the masses that I can offer classes. Isn't that interesting, I'm already planning to teach something I have yet learned how to do. :boggle:

So, thanks for all the tidbits of info.

Bob Z.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Welcome! :D

I jump in with a bunch of posts every 5 months or so when I want to harrass some unsuspecting folks. :poke:

It's always fun, with great tips and odd conversation.

Enjoy!
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Well, it nice to meet you. :lol:

When my husband was teaching me to drive a stick shift, we agreed that any time either party wished to end a lesson he or she could simply say so and no questions would be asked. It was a good agreement to make. Mostly we got along fine, but I ended a couple of lessons just before WWIII was going to break out. I did learn to drive the darn thing though.

Learning to play the whistle might not be quite as trying though. Sounds like you have some great plans!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Welcome!

If you get anywhere with your wife, let me know how you did it. I'd like to play music with my wife as well, but she has never played an instrument and seems daunted by the idea of learning/playing an instrument. Even one as simple (and complicated) as whistle. Tho' she has a great sense of rhythm and would make a fine player.

What whistles are you expecting delivery of?

Scott
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Welcome.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Howdy.
Reasonable person
Walden
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Whistles on the way (from The Whistle Shop)

Walton's Irish Brass in D
Walton's Little Black D
2 Megs

I chose these based on the reviews - weighing low cost, consistency and tone variety. The Walton's Irish because the fipple is not glued.

As far as instructing someone else I plan to work with my wife is to get her comfortable just making good sounding notes with good posture and hand positions. Then I get her copying me playing easy 2,3,4 note melodies (learning the note names as we go). After that we'll connect the notes she's learned to the music staff. That way she won't be learning everything at once (and I can keep one step ahead of her :lol: ).

Bob Z.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Scott McCallister wrote:Welcome!

If you get anywhere with your wife, let me know how you did it.

Scott
HEHE, I bought her a flute!!! :o
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Hiya! Enjoy yourself.

Two MEGs hm? Good, you can play your drums with them! :P
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Pleased to meet you, and welcome to the board.

I tried/try to teach Tyghre, but it is an uphill battle and I'd prefer to not yell about something so inconsequential. The fact that he plays it at all is something of a miracle, as he has never played ANY instrument. But every once in a while I hear him pegging away on Amazing Grace or Row Your Boat or some common tune.

If you plan to teach an adult class, you might also keep in mind that you may be able to learn and teach 'whistle', but you would be doing a major disservice to say you're teaching 'Irish whistle' unless you really, honest to god, know the music.

Time to finish the feast clean up. . .
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

n4vgm wrote:As far as instructing someone else I plan to work with my wife is to get her comfortable just making good sounding notes with good posture and hand positions. Then I get her copying me playing easy 2,3,4 note melodies (learning the note names as we go). After that we'll connect the notes she's learned to the music staff. That way she won't be learning everything at once (and I can keep one step ahead of her :lol: ).

Bob Z.
Welcome! You're going to teach your wife music theory! What fun!

I took that once. It was my great delight to discover that Irish music doesn't require it. :)

There is a good CD tutorial for whistle put out by MadForTrad. The notes are there, but you learn by listening and watching Brian Finnegan play--the traditional way. It would make a good Christmas present to go with that new whistle. I think you'd both have a grand time with it.
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Comment on teaching "Irish" whistle is noted. I had thought of calling the class "Introduction to the Penny Whistle" for the reason you mentioned.

Well, the whistles arrived today and we played around for about 15 minutes with all of them. Some observations (though totaly unqualified to make them). My wife seemed happy she could make musical sounds.

@ The Megs play easily and sound good.
@ The Little Black is almost as easy to play as the Megs and has a softer/smoother tone.
@ The Walton Brass Irish is harder to control and has some roughness at times in the tone. Otherwise nice tone with more chiff (I think I know what that is - thanks to this forum). In looking inside the foot end towards the light I can clearly see two pieces of sprue (I think that's the technical term for excess plastic extrusion) one of which is hanging down in the middle of the airway directly in line with the fipple edge.

Now I chose the Walton's because the info stated the mouthpiece was not glued on (at least that's what I remember) and in gently trying to pull it off it seems quite attached. I'm used to detailed mods of other things so I'm not afraid to try my first tweak (Gads! First he wants to teach - now tweak - me thinks the lad's hooked!).

So, is it recomended to use the hot water technique to remove the mouthpiece on this model or is there something everyone else knows about them that I don't?

Bob Z.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

It might be just stuck on tight. Try something like you'd do with a jar lid . . . cold water, warm water, whatnot. See if it'll loosen.

If it doesn't work, wait until one of the Tweaking Professionals comes along. They'll know if Waltons are glued.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

n4vgm wrote:Comment on teaching "Irish" whistle is noted. I had thought of calling the class "Introduction to the Penny Whistle" for the reason you mentioned.

Well, the whistles arrived today and we played around for about 15 minutes with all of them. Some observations (though totaly unqualified to make them). My wife seemed happy she could make musical sounds.

@ The Megs play easily and sound good.
@ The Little Black is almost as easy to play as the Megs and has a softer/smoother tone.
@ The Walton Brass Irish is harder to control and has some roughness at times in the tone. Otherwise nice tone with more chiff (I think I know what that is - thanks to this forum). In looking inside the foot end towards the light I can clearly see two pieces of sprue (I think that's the technical term for excess plastic extrusion) one of which is hanging down in the middle of the airway directly in line with the fipple edge.
Yup, that's about right. The Walton is a little tougher, but much more satisfying when you start learning ornamentation. IMO, a roll sounds a heck of alot better on a Walton than a MEG. But MEGs are always ready to go and hopping octaves is alot easier.
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Well, I sent a message to The Whistle Shop and got a prompt reply. Thom says the Walton should not be glued but sometimes they are attached tightly or there is extra laquer. If I can't move it with gentle force then I'll just send it back.

I'll keep everyone up to date since I know you are all on the edge of your seats waiting to find out if the darn thing came off!

Bob Z.