im curious about great tinwhistle tabs for irish folk music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Which band is better?

The Pogues
17%
The Dubliners
11%
Flogging Molly
19%
Dropkick Murphys
6%
Why are you asking me, i sincerely dont care.
47%

Total votes: 36

roguewhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

im curious about great tinwhistle tabs for irish folk music

Post by roguewhistler »

im curious about anything that has tabbed tinwhistle music, and would like to find tabbed kesh jig and caidence to arms for tinwhistle. if anybody could help, would you please?
VullNoid

Post by VullNoid »

YES! *dances around* I love Dropkick and FM, have heard a pathetically small sample of The Pogues, and not any of the Dubliners. I love Flogging Molly, though. One of my favorite bands. :D

I once tried to look for tin whistle tabs for FM, but couldn't find any. :/
Stuck on limbo bridge,
Where below me ol' Nick grins,
Then laughs through the chaos of it all,
Gets up off his chair,
Spins a jig to my despair,
He can't wait to count the times where I went wrong.
-Flogging Molly
RamblDoc

Er, what's "tabbed" ??

Post by RamblDoc »

A really stupid question, here.
Er, . . . . . . what's tabbed whistle music ???

I thought it might mean the music for a tune in guitar tablature, but don't know.
Please explain.
Wynder

Re: Er, what's "tabbed" ??

Post by Wynder »

RamblDoc wrote:A really stupid question, here.
Er, . . . . . . what's tabbed whistle music ???
It's showing the pictures of the fingerings for each note -- particularly useful for the folks who can't read traditional notation and want to more quickly find where a note is rather saying BAGFED in their head. ;)
Rob/Wynder
Whistle This - Founder
RamblDoc

Thanks

Post by RamblDoc »

Thanks Wynder !
I had no idea that was what "tabbed tinwhistle music" was. I have tinwhistle music and books which contain these pictorial fingering aids, of course.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

IN other words something like

XXXXXX = D

0XX000 = Cnatural?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Wormdiet

Re: im curious about great tinwhistle tabs for irish folk mu

Post by Wormdiet »

roguewhistler wrote:im curious about anything that has tabbed tinwhistle music, and would like to find tabbed kesh jig and caidence to arms for tinwhistle. if anybody could help, would you please?
TO answer the question, I doubt that anybody has full fingering charts for these tunes up on the web. But that doesn't matter - there's only one basic way to form most of the notes available on a tin whistle. . . so if you can associate the letter name of the note with the proper fingering, you don't really need tab, only the ABC sequence of notes. Or better yet, a really good ear and a recording or sound file.

www.thesession.org has a brazillion ABC files of common tunes, including Kesh. What you can do is download a small computer program that will read the ABC files and convert them to Midi sounds that play in yer headphones. Play along with the tunes and off you go!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

You can also download a whistle tab font that will allow you to create your own. I found it easier to just learn the standard notation. The tab is to slow.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
roguewhistler

Post by roguewhistler »

My next question is are there any good tinwhistle music sites that have tablatures, for say, the kesh jig, or even, say, mountain dew? :swear:
let the whistlers live!!!
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I love Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's Folk-punk bands, but seriously, they are not the best way to learn the whistle. If you want to be able to play those kind of tunes, I suggest you learn the traditional ones, since the folk-punk stuff is basically traditional music with different accompaniment and sometimes a different beat.
If you become decent with playing the trad stuff, you'll have no problem picking out those tunes by ear eventually.
Have a look at the links page here on C&F and you'll find a few websites that'll aid you in your learning.
Dee Whistler

Post by Dee Whistler »

http://www.guitarnut.com/folktablature/index.html

-only few irish tunes

http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad

-many songs from the whole celtic tradition and many can be displayed in whistle tablature. However, if you're playing, say D-whistle, you have to search for suitable song that can be played with that, and it takes some time.

That's all I know. There is not so much whistle tabs in web I think. About month ago I spent hours looking, but didn't find any other. Made some by myself though, if you like those I can send the pics to you.
It's not that hard to play it right. It's hard to play it wrong in the right place.
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

Finger tablature has advantages over sheet music notation because with the latter, which is more "precise" and detailed, one may be lured into the misconception that the WHOLE of the music is in the notation when, in fact, it is alive and out there in the tradition and even the best sheet notation is ONLY ever a guide.

Finger tablature, being minimalist. patently does not masquerade as being the WHOLE of the music and prompts the player to seek audio sources and live experience of the music to fill out the learning process.

This post is not intended to apply to learning orchestral music.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

talasiga wrote:Finger tablature has advantages over sheet music notation because with the latter, which is more "precise" and detailed, one may be lured into the misconception that the WHOLE of the music is in the notation when, in fact, it is alive and out there in the tradition and even the best sheet notation is ONLY ever a guide.

Finger tablature, being minimalist. patently does not masquerade as being the WHOLE of the music and prompts the player to seek audio sources and live experience of the music to fill out the learning process.

Sheet music does not masquerade as being the whole of the music or anything else, it's inanimate, it can't do masquerades. Why people keep blaming notation for the problems of people who don't bother to learn to use and read it properly is quite beyond me.

Even in classical orchestras, the score is interpreted by the conductor and/or soloists, it certainly isn't perceived as the whole of the music.

The use of tab is supposed to be for multi position note instruments like guitars where you can play the same note (and chords) in a multitude of different places with a multitude of different fingering. It's ususally used in conjunction with standard notation and listening to recordings - at least in most of the books i've seen and used.

Tab for whistle tunes is a bloody stupid idea, which is obviously supported by the fact that there ain't much of it about.

By the time rogue whistler's trawled the planet to find a few scraps of whistle tab, he could have learned to read sheet music "properly" - it's not that difficult.

?

Post by Guest »

For you more traditional Irish punks listen to The Tossers! Southern Chicago based Irish punk sounds more Pogue-ish than FM and DKM. They make me happy. =) If anyone knows whistle tabs for any Irish folk-rock they should enlighten I.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Screeeech!!! wrote:
talasiga wrote:Finger tablature has advantages over sheet music notation because with the latter, which is more "precise" and detailed, one may be lured into the misconception that the WHOLE of the music is in the notation when, in fact, it is alive and out there in the tradition and even the best sheet notation is ONLY ever a guide.

Sheet music does not masquerade as being the whole of the music or anything else, it's inanimate, it can't do masquerades. Why people keep blaming notation for the problems of people who don't bother to learn to use and read it properly is quite beyond me.

Even in classical orchestras, the score is interpreted by the conductor and/or soloists, it certainly isn't perceived as the whole of the music.

The use of tab is supposed to be for multi position note instruments like guitars where you can play the same note (and chords) in a multitude of different places with a multitude of different fingering. It's ususally used in conjunction with standard notation and listening to recordings - at least in most of the books i've seen and used.

Tab for whistle tunes is a bloody stupid idea, which is obviously supported by the fact that there ain't much of it about.

By the time rogue whistler's trawled the planet to find a few scraps of whistle tab, he could have learned to read sheet music "properly" - it's not that difficult.
Screeeech, I couldn't agree more. It would greatly benefit every whistle
player to take a few months to learn the basics of standard music
notation.
Trad folk tunes are relatively simple in structure with few exotic
modulations or accidentals and could be learned fairly easily. Once you
can read basic tunes then you can scan and sight read through any of the
hundreds of printed tune collections and select those tunes that sound
good in your head. The ornamentation and particular arrangement you
want to use is entirely up to you. Printed standard music notation does not
restrict your abilty to interpret the music any more or less than any
other form of notation - and it is universally available.

Colin