Humidity

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
giggleswicksam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Humidity

Post by giggleswicksam »

I would be interested (and I think it would be interesting for others) to know what humidity it is in your houses, pipers with hygrometers! I'll start the ball rolling with 72% in my Bradford kitchen. I saw on bbc.co.uk/weather that there was 92% humidity in Seattle! If this has all been done before, apologies.

Does anyone know what this means - what is 100% humidity? Presumably not the bottom of a lake . . . .
brianc

Re: Humidity

Post by brianc »

[quote="giggleswicksam"] If this has all been done before, apologies.
[quote]

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/search.php?mode=results

279 times the word "humidity" came up in the UP forum, with the Search function.

Yep, it's been done before, almost ad infinitum.
Last edited by brianc on Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

I was in Halifax Nova Scotia this summer just gone. I went from Darwen Lancashire where humidity was about 65-70% to Sauna of about 90 - 95% humidity.
The drone reeds and reg reeds didn't fair too well but held up just .I was amazed at the chanter reed it has fine and spot on in tune.I am a great believer in a stronger reed, especially if you are going from climate to climate.

Dr Giggles from Giggleswick

Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
giggleswicksam

Humidity

Post by giggleswicksam »

Sorry - I didn't realise I could search for old humidity stuff. Am duly sorry.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Hydrometer? We don't need no stinkin' hydrometer in stinkin' Florida... it's so humid (how humid is it?), that you need gills just to breath! :D
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

My sunroom where I play the UPs and store my extra reed stays at 52% humidity year long. But if I open the hot-tub...then watchout it goes beyond 70% easily.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

It's usually around 50% in my house. THe lowest it gets is about 15% and the highest about 65% ... but it's mostly right around 50%. That's Northern Los Angeles County ladies and gentleman. If I go 5 miles up the road everything changes, in either direction.

Patrick.
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

The digital hygrometer flat lines at around 20%, which it is doing right now, but AccuWeather says it's about 15% outside. Gotta love our Santa Ana weather. :o
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I live about 50 miles East of Fr D'Arcy (what a book title!!) and it was 28% humidity yesterday afternoon. I have a small room humidifier; when on, it raised the relative humidity to 33%-35%, good enough to practice. When the Santa Ana winds get going, you might as well go and have a beer- I know I did :D
anima

Post by anima »

Kansas City 60-70% spring to fall, winter 25-50%

Jeff
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

We're having some rather unusual weather over here in Santa Cruz, CA right now. It's gorgeous, sunny, warm, and clear outside, but the 40% humidity isn't being too kind on my chanter reed. It's usually anywhere from 60-80% and overcast around this time of year.
An píobaire fánach

Post by An píobaire fánach »

I always wondered if it's absolute or relative humidity that counts with regard to how the reeds behave. So, for a relative humidity of (say) 70%, the absolute humidity (the absolute mass of water per whatsit of air) will be higher at high temperature than at low temperature. Presumably the reed comes into equilibrium with the vapour pressure, which for identical relative humidity, changes with temperature.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

An píobaire fánach wrote:I always wondered if it's absolute or relative humidity that counts with regard to how the reeds behave. So, for a relative humidity of (say) 70%, the absolute humidity (the absolute mass of water per whatsit of air) will be higher at high temperature than at low temperature. Presumably the reed comes into equilibrium with the vapour pressure, which for identical relative humidity, changes with temperature.
I am leaning toward this train of thought. Here in my little corner of Florida, the absolute humidity (around 60-65%) does not seem to do a thing for my reeds in the colder winter mornings, but as the temps rise, my reeds become happier and the humidity hasn't changed .

I suppose you folks in Australia are rolling into summer by now, and I am certain that affects the playability of your reeds significantly... just a guess however.
rgouette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Maine

Post by rgouette »

Oh man, I'm in Maine. What more can I say, except it swings to <20% easily in cold months, to >95% in freakin summer.

man, & we have a baby grand, harp, & acoustic guitars too..
what are we thinking!

Rich
:o
myrddinemrys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

for those needing to gauge RH on the cheap:
http://inventors.about.com/gi/dynamic/o ... ivity.html
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.