Let's hear it for Susato!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
phil_doleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Let's hear it for Susato!

Post by phil_doleman »

I have been playing whistles and ocarinas for a while now (as well as guitars, ukes, banjos, mandos, harmonicas, etc.) and have tried out many instruments. However I had been put off tyring a Susato whistle partly due to it being a little more expensive than generation types, and partly because they seem to be not too well regarded by many on this board. I do have a Dixon tunable, though, which I love, but just now my new Susato one piece VSB high D arrived in the post. I plays beautifully, evenly, the high octave is not the struggle it sometimes feels like on my Dixon, and it it is quiet enough not to hurt my ears. Yes, it does not sound like my generations, and I can see the point that it sounds a little more towards the sound of a recorder than my Dixon, but for me (and I will qualify this by saying that I don't by and large play ITM) it has the best bits of the tone of the whistle and the recorder. Also, it looks much more sleek than I imagined it would from the photos. And it cost me £12!
I know not everyone knocks them, but I am certainly a fan of this particular model and hope to try a few more in different keys.
All the best
Phil
www.phildoleman.co.uk
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Some people really like Susato. There's a clip of Kevin Crawford on Phil Hardy's website that will blow you away, and he's playing a Susato. To each his own, I suppose.

I avoid them whereever possible.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I think that most people have bad experiences with Susatos when they're still fairly new at the instrument. It's not quite as expensive as most of the high-enders, and a lot of new whistlers will try one when they feel like they are ready to try something other than the generation-style whistles.

Only, they're really not that easy for most beginners to play. They're a bit loud, and require a certain amount of confidence and breath control in the second ocatve. Beginners (who tend to be a bit more shy about their playing) tend to shriek them more in the 2nd octave, and in general hold back with them. So, much like when kids are forced to play recorder in grade school, the first impressions are not that great. And those first impressions can be lasting. I think that once you get the hang of them, they can sound just fine.

And, of course, there are folks who just want something different out of a whistle than what a Susato gives.
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Congrats on enjoying the whistle! I love Susato whistles...working toward owning an entire set of tuneable ones (currently own VSB D, SB D - my main whistle - and a Bb in tuneable, plus nontuneables in E, C, A, G, and low D). They're wonderful whistles, but like Wanderer said, some people get discouraged because they do require a lot of breath control and if you're new to wind instruments, it's not going to be that easy to control.

The VSB D is definitely easier to control than the SB D, which most people have experience with (VSB D came out not too long ago, I believe). They're both lovely whistles!

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
norseman

Post by norseman »

I've had a Susato standard bore D for a while, but never really played it much. After getting more experience playing a another whistle with more back pressure as well as playing the flute, my breath control is much better, and I find that I'm liking the Susato more and more. It works well in the larger session that I play in.

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Yep...I saw kevin Crawford in St. Louis last year tear into a Susato. All I saw was a blur of what he was doing to the Susato.....that fast indeed.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I did not like the Susato for a long time. As got a little better and developed some breath control I found that I do like it. My wife thinks it sounds great when I play it. However I will usually play my Humphreys, my Alba Q1 or a Feadog. They have a sound I am more fond of even though they have a very different sound.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I think Susatos are to sessions what screaming is to conversations. Of course, if you're on stage, you can scream and sing very loud, it's part of the show. Also, screaming is okay when there's like twenty of you trying to speak at the same time... :wink:
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

I really always feel disheartened when I hear people say such nonsense Azalin. I think they have a lovely sound and are nowhere near as loud as people think they are (they only are if left in the hands of someone with no breath or embouchure control). Plus I figure if they're good enough for Kevin Crawford, they're good enough for me.

At my session, both loud and small, they've been well-received and people enjoy listening to them.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
scheky

Post by scheky »

I personally don't like Susatos. It's the buzz on them that I never cared for.

That said, I think they are fine instruments, just not the one for me. Of course, I love my Copelands and there are folks who don't like the sound of those. To each their own.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Azalin wrote:I think Susatos are to sessions what screaming is to conversations. Of course, if you're on stage, you can scream and sing very loud, it's part of the show. Also, screaming is okay when there's like twenty of you trying to speak at the same time... :wink:
There are a couple of people who play Susatos at our session, and they don't come off that way at all.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
RamblDoc

Susatos

Post by RamblDoc »

Susato C soprano - -
Many say this is Susatos best key. I am fairly pleased with my tunable one. Beautiful tone in the first ocatave, really. Clean and pure but full-bodied enough. SPOT-ON TUNING. In the second octave it starts to exhibit more of the shrill "recordery" edge which causes so many complaints. But still an acceptable sound for many purposes. Have I mentioned how spot-on the tuning is yet ? Susatos have well developed designs. Kevin Crawford uses this "C" model often, and they sound quite alright on his recordings.
Enat VSB - - My model is a very finicky beast compared to the aforementioned comparitively well behaved C. Needs to be tamed, but can be usefull once it is. Loud, compared to other Enat sopranos.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I like mine fine, though I rarely play it, mainly because it's too loud for at home practicing. I'd happily play it out though.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

Im at beginner/intermediate level, and I've never had any breath control issues with my Susato. Nor have I ever experienced and buzz from it. I love my Susato VSB! I much prefer it over any of my other whistle (Yes, even over my Nickel Generations).
phil_doleman

Post by phil_doleman »

I'm puzzled by the Susato=loud business. I have the VSB model (and have no experience of other bore sizes so cannot comment). It is quieter than my dixon, especially in the second octave. It is the only whistle I can bear to play right up to the top of the second octave without worrying my ears (or wearing earplugs). I does take some breath control, but the second octave is far easier to reach then on most of my other cheap wistles and my Dixon (which doesn't like going above high G). My Susato would not be loud enough for a session, I suspect. I imagine that the SB model is louder, but it seems to me that the VSB and SB must be quite different beasts.

Cheers,
Phil
www.phildoleman.co.uk