Low D -- Small hands

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tkelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tkelly »

Jane, thanks for asking this question -- I've wondered about it but am not ready to try a low whistle yet. Can you let us know what you decide and how your daughter does with it? I also have small hands. Guitar-playing has given me some stretch, but when I do try a low whistle, I want to make sure it's one I can play! (I saw a guy playing a Susato low whistle one day and *he* could barely reach. No way I would be able to.)

Thanks,
Tery
chanse

Post by chanse »

I have ungodly short fingers... it runs in the family, 2 of our knuckles are kina put together making our hands a whole knuckle size smaller than the average person and I can still play the low whistle just fine. It just takes practice
Jane

Post by Jane »

Chanse, What kind do you play? We are going to be going to an Irish Fest in Milwaukee next month, so I'm reserving my purchase until she has at least held a couple, or at the very least eyeballed some in person. Decided this will be a good opportunity even though it is after the birthday I am shopping for. I'm investing in some highly recommended CD's to tide us over till then.
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

Jane,

If I'm not still having car trouble then, I'm also hoping to make it to Milwaukee for the Irsh Fest. If I do, I'll be bringing my whistles and they would be available to try.

Reyburn Low D
Overton Big hole Low D
Overton F (close to my idea of a "perfect" whistle)
Burke Al Pro G
Burke Composites A and Bflat
New Sindts in A and Bflat

It will just depend on my transportation situation
Peace

Namasté

jim
Jane

Post by Jane »

It would be so much fun to meet you there. I hope your car comes around. We are planning on going for Friday and Satuday.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I bought a Copeland low D a few months ago and have had all kinds of trouble getting my fingers to stretch. But since I love the sound so much, I have kept trying, forcing my fingers to where they need to be. Then last week I picked it up and just played it...I can't figure out what's different, but now it works fine. On another note, today I looked at a Chieftan low F, and I wish I had bought one originally. My hands easily make the fit and it sounds great. If I had started with that, I'm sure the adjustment would have been much easier.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Blackhawk - buy an Overton. Colin Goldie is THE man and his whistles are rediculously good. I have one of his low Fs and it blows me away.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-18 02:59, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
Blackhawk - buy an Overton. Colin Goldie is THE man and his whistles are rediculously good. I have one of his low Fs and it blows me away.
I have an order in for a low D from him, due in January if the original estimate holds true (I'm hoping it's sooner). That's why I jumped on this thread. I'm not sure how his ordering system works. Evidently he sets up a time to talk on the phone with us, then he plays many low Ds over the phone and you pick the one you want. That's where I get confused...I know I'm going to want them all. I do know I like chiff, and the deep sonorous sound I've heard about, and the shortest possible distance between holes, but outside of that I won't know what to tell him. Also, when he "makes a batch of whistles" will there be low Fs in there, too, or not? I know I want one, made by him.

BTW, Chris, let me take this chance to thank you for all the info in each of your posts, regardless of the subject matter. I learn a great deal from you constantly. Thanks for taking the time, laborious though it may be for you, to explain so much to those of us who are striving to learn.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-07-18 02:59, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
My Overton low F came with a certificate signed by Bernard - does that make it an Overton Overton or a Goldie Overton? Is there a visible difference in the whistles themselves? Mine is stamped Overton in black on the reverse near the bell end.

I've been playing a Gen Bb, Dixon A, and The Overton F a lot in the last weeks, and now going back to a high D feels weird! I can manage the A with normal fingering, but the F definitely requires pipers grip for me, and I have large-ish hands (little fingertip to tip of thumb at full stretch, about 9 inches). I guess it's what you're used to.

The second problem is sealing the holes - if you have thin, long fingers, you might have trouble with, say, a Howard Low D. I tried one recently, and loved the tone, and might yet invest, but the holes are big and thin fingers would struggle.

Best test is indeed to try them, and see for yourself. There are so many variables.

Slightly off the subject, I invested in a copy of "The Low Whistle Book" plus CD, and am very impressed with the humour, clear concise style, and overall value for money. There's a complete rundown of the low whistle makes available (as per Autumn 2000), several of which were news to me. When I get done with learning the tunes & techniques, then I might be able to give Phil Doleman a run for his money in the Londoner low whistle stakes!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Blackhawk -
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad I've been helpful to you.
Yes, that is exactly how it works with Colin. Tell him what you want in advance. He'll try and make a whistle to your liking. Then he'll play a bunch of them for you over the phone. Choose the one you want and it's yours. It's a great system.
As for the low F. If you want one you need to order it now. There is no guarantee he'll have a low F in stock when your low D comes around.

Martin - It sounds like you've got an Overton-Overton :lol: Look inside the bottom of the whistle. Is Colin Goldies name engraved inside? No? Then it's an Overton-Overton.

Best,
Chris
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Martin wrote:
"I've been playing a Gen Bb, Dixon A, and The Overton F a lot in the last weeks, and now going back to a high D feels weird! I can manage the A with normal fingering, but the F definitely requires pipers grip for me, and I have large-ish hands (little fingertip to tip of thumb at full stretch, about 9 inches). I guess it's what you're used to."

After reading this I pulled out the tape measure and my span is 10". I feel an uncomfortable stretch when I play my Generation Bb, which I haven't been doing for long since I'm relatively new to the whistle. I think flexibility, which can be developed, is more important than hand size, which is fixed. I have had this same discussion with people I taught the guitar.

Mike