Favorite Tune of the Moment

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Jennie wrote:This one falls into the "Danny Boy" category for me. I can't tell whether I'd actually like it or not, just because it seems like I've heard it way way too many times. Do people play it in sessions, ever? Or only when pressured?
I have the same reaction, but I think it's because the song feels like an
Irish Spring commercial. It's not really a bad jig, it just seems like the
one Americans associate with Ireland, so it probably gets overplayed.
I have played it in session before, the Hammered Dulcimer player
(who knows scads of tunes) starts that or Sailor's Horpipe (Popeye's
theme) occasionally, in a sort of tongue-in-cheek manner. Everybody
plays along without complaint...
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I was watching my Planxty DVD last night and decided to learn The Clare jig this morning....now I can't get it out of my head at all :boggle:
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Key_of_D »

Jennie wrote:
Key_of_D wrote:I'd like to learn the Irish Washerwoman, just haven't gotten around to learning it!
Why? :-?

This one falls into the "Danny Boy" category for me. I can't tell whether I'd actually like it or not, just because it seems like I've heard it way way too many times. Do people play it in sessions, ever? Or only when pressured?

But if you love it, do learn it!

There's another couple by Jerry Holland that my daughter and I love to play, Brenda Stubbert's (a reel) and James Cameron (a march).

Jennie

Well, I like the tune (Irish Washerwoman) and yeah, it probably is a bit overdone, but I've simply never learned it to play for my own enjoyment. I've heard the Kesh Jig is another one that's (or use to be) overdone, but I like playing it simply because it's a different tune. As to whether or not the Irish Washerwoman is played in sessions, that's beyond me as I've never been to one!
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Gee, now you're inspiring me... I should probably run through The Irish Washerwoman a few times myself. I'm just assuming it would flow if I were ever called to play it, but wouldn't it be embarrassing to mess it up!

Another one I'm really enjoying is called The Lurgadaun, from a recording by Providence. A nice jig.

Jennie

P.S. Thanks PhilO for opening this topic. I have a few tunes to go look up now!
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Irish Washerwoman is often presented as a beginner tune but it's a harder tune to master. The changes between B and A and Cnat back and forth are tricky. I like the B part.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Washerwoman isn't for beginners. I never learned it cause I'm tired of hearing it. The hardest tune to learn is the one you don't like. But even if you love it, it's got some challenges.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think the real challenge with a tune like Washerwoman is to take it, make it your own, put something fresh into it.

Possible? Yes. Hard? On a tune that "everybody knows," you betcha.

--James
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Cynth wrote:I came across Neary's Jig on Brian McNamara's website, and on his A Piper's Dream CD as well, that is fun for a beginner to take a stab at. Can't play it worth a darn, but more fun than finger exercises that's for sure. I think it's a slip jig.
http://www.piperbrian.com/music/music_tunes.html
You can hear a sound sample of the first part and a bit of the second:
http://www.piperbrian.com/sounds/sound_samples.html
Ah, my favorite piper! If you don't have it, you should ask Michael Eskin if he still has copies of the 2003 SoCal tionol cd, with Brian McNamara playing with Benedict K. and Kevin Rowsome. Not to be missed for McNamara fans!

My all time favorite tune (right now)
:wink: is Hardiman the Fiddler. Somehow I never seem to get sick of that one. Looks like slip jigs are popular around here, too.

I haven't been learning many tunes lately, but I guess my favorite kinda new tune is the Fair Haired Boy. I heard some musicians at a session play it after the Blackhaired Lass, sounds pretty cool.

Justine
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

feadogin wrote: Looks like slip jigs are popular around here, too.
Justine
Lunasa plays a lot of Slip jigs, I've noticed.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

It's been a while since I've been so taken with a group of tunes at once that I'm working on. At times, I get into ruts where I seem to be trying to perfect the same tunes over and over and don't want to "lose" them from memory. When I have lessons though, I always need new tunes to work on as well (mustn't bore teacher) and I've loosened up my compulsive self to not be so into replaying old (to me) tunes. Right now, I'm playing and loving The Templehouse Jig, The Musical Priest, Brother Gildas' Jig, Munster Buttermilk, The Killavil Jig, The Legacy Jig, and Banish Misfortune (yeah, still working on this - a bit difficult to get this really down right).

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

King of the Fairies

Still struggling a bit with the middle of the second part... but love that tune!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

anniemcu wrote:King of the Fairies
Still struggling a bit with the middle of the second part... but love that tune!
Now, try to learn Scollay's Reel :twisted:

(Edited to fix link)
Last edited by fearfaoin on Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

fearfaoin wrote:
anniemcu wrote:King of the Fairies
Now, try to learn Scollay's Reel :twisted:
I can't get that link to open... :cry:

But I found it elsewhere...
http://riverartsproject.com/folkarchive ... php?id=130

http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.as ... 536#tracks

very similar... I'll go mad trying to keep them separated! Curse you wicked fearfaoin! :x :lol:
Last edited by anniemcu on Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Baloo Lammy on both Low Whistle and Ups.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
kenny

Lad O'Beirne's

Post by kenny »

"Lad O'Beirne's Favourite", as played by Noel Hill on his 2nd solo CD, and also by the Mulcahy family on their recording"Notes From The Heart". This is a reel version of the jig "The Geese In The Bog", transposed to "D",
[ not his best known reel in "G". ]
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"