Questions about open verses closed fingering.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Learning Piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Out of my mind for a minute. Please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as possible.

Questions about open verses closed fingering.

Post by Learning Piper »

Hello all,
Well, I am learning more than I ever thought possible, and starting to wonder if its more than I wanted to know. (Ahhhhhhhh...) Ok, now that I've got that out of my system, on to business. :) I need some info on closed as opposed to open fingering. I think I get the actual mechanics of the two, (emphasis on the word think (geez, with this instrument what isn't an "if" or a "think"!) but I would like to hear good examples of both. Is it possible to tell the difference between the two fingerings just by listening? Can anyone recommend examples of open and closed fingerings, so I can hear the differences between the two?
Thanks,
S. K. Cull
S. K. Cull

Dyslexics of the world; UNTIE!!... Or is it unite?... Nuite?..... AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

For great tight piping, try Mick Coyne's site- both himself and Andy Conroy are great exponents of a tight style:
http://www.mickcoyne.moonfruit.com/welcome
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Mick O'Brien and John McSherry are two who strike me as more of the open, flowing style of piping. I'd think of Brian McNamara as one who is more of the closed or tight fingering style. There are others (older generation) who were especially gifted at this...
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

That young fella James Mahon on The Bloom of Youth described his piping as tight, but I wouldn't have described it as especially tight. Great piping nonetheless.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
Learning Piper
Location: Out of my mind for a minute. Please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as possible.

Post by Learning Piper »

What about Paddy Keenen? And Lunasa's Cilliann Vallely?
S. K. Cull

Dyslexics of the world; UNTIE!!... Or is it unite?... Nuite?..... AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I'd tend to call both Paddy and Cillian fairly open and loose in their piping.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Brian Lee wrote:I'd tend to call both Paddy and Cillian fairly open and loose...
Those could be fighting words there buddy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

It's true! LOL Well, let's just say they're 'tight' ain't gonna score any of us major brownie points either. We poor pipers just can't win. What a sorry lot we are! ROTFLOL :boggle:
Learning Piper

Post by Learning Piper »

Now now lads, let's not give Dale another excuse to call use surly. :lol: :D :lol:
S. K. Cull

brescianimichele

fingering

Post by brescianimichele »

what about Robbie Hannan?
{|_________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||]
\\
billh

Re: fingering

Post by billh »

brescianimichele wrote:what about Robbie Hannan?
Robbie does a lot of very well executed tight stuff. That said, "tight style" is not the first thing that comes to mind when listening to Robbie.

Any excellent player is likely to play a mix of "tight" and "open" - even Andy had to keep -er open in the top of the second octave :-D

See for instance in Johnny Doran's playing (usually cited as the all time master of the 'open' travelling style) lots of tight triplets adding contrast to the overally rolling flow.
djm

Post by djm »

I would suggest Leo Rowsome for open playing. He does ornaments, of course, but he is mostly an open player with very little of the pippity-pippity stuff that characterizes pure closed playing like Andy Conroy.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Brian Lee:
I'd tend to call both Paddy and Cillian fairly open and loose in their piping.
I haven't had the pleasure to watch or listen to Paddy, but Cillian on the other hand I listen to about everyday and although it probably goes against everything being taught, he tends to use open fingering, very loose (grace notes everywhere..LOL).

Although I am trying to go with the traditional and the most common technique for fingering in the discipline of the UPs...I find myself going against the grain and using open......I also find myself playing off my knee from time to time...so there... :P

I have found with my experience not only with Ups, but wioth most things that techniques which work for oneperson may not work for another and forcing yourself to conform doesn't make one want to learn, but walk away.....its my opinion that we are all different by design so with that said, I tend to go my own direction and learn and play in my own way which works for me. To me its not the wrong or right way, but its what works and I know I will get some criticism from the traditionalist, but like many of us we ted to freelance especially when it comes to playing because its away in my mind of that desired free expression and to show one's individual talents.

Just a thought..... :)
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
djm

Post by djm »

KDM, that is my tendency also, but the reality is that this is just laziness. It limits my capabilities. I know that when I hit these impossible to play bits that these are the ones I need to concentrate most on. I may not like to listen to the pippity-pip style of playing, but I also know that I can't do it well, yet. "Freedom of expression" is a crock if you are using it as an excuse not to learn the tough stuff. You are not truly free unless you can play both open and closed techniques perfectly, but then "choose" to play open. The difference is huge.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
simonknight

Re: fingering

Post by simonknight »

billh wrote:
Any excellent player is likely to play a mix of "tight" and "open" - even Andy had to keep -er open in the top of the second octave :-D

See for instance in Johnny Doran's playing (usually cited as the all time master of the 'open' travelling style) lots of tight triplets adding contrast to the overally rolling flow.
I think this is a pretty good perspective from Bill. I think the ability to play tight is important even if your overall musical style tends more towards open. The UPs are one of the few pipes that are capable of this kind of variety - it seems to be an inherent part of music and the instrument.

Tight fingering is one of the things I found really difficult to get to grips with coming from other wind instruments. To me it felt mentally backwards (no insult intended) since you are thinking more about what finger to remove rather than which to place down. Once I got past that it all became (a little) easier although it took me way longer than I expected.

For KDMARTINKY, if you persevere you'll get there. BTW, if you are still interested in taking up the Northumbrian smallpipes, they are completely tight. You have to cover all holes and notes are played by lifting one finger or pressing one key only.
Simon