Favorite Tune of the Moment

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

FJohnSharp wrote:Oh, and Go Bucks!!
Should I be pushing the tune "I've got a Bonnet Trimmed With Blue" at the moment?
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The Ballydesmond Polka, and Taimse im Chodladh. Both from the Ireland's best Tin Whistle Tunes CD. I am not able to slow tunes down to practice, but the repeat function works just fine.
Black Mage
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Black Mage »

Okay, I'm gonna correct myself. My new fave of the week is "Fire in the Hole" by The Elders. God I love that song!
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

colomon wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:Oh, and Go Bucks!!
Should I be pushing the tune "I've got a Bonnet Trimmed With Blue" at the moment?
Rats! I don't have a comeback.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

(removed to new thread down in the you-know-where)

Suburban Symphony
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Isobel Blakeley
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

"In Dreams" from the LoTR. Bought the music for regular flute, but play it with Bb whistle. A nice tune. It changes keys 2/3 or 3/4 the way through, but this only involves a few accidentals which require half-holing and I'm slowly getting used to it.
Keith
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Right now, Hedigan's Fancy, the Chieftains version from Chieftains 7. Keeps ALL the fingers busy, but not hurried. Sweet little tune I think. Lovin' it. I'd like to learn the Irish Washerwoman, just haven't gotten around to learning it!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Tommy wrote:The Ballydesmond Polka
Which one? There are at least three by that name.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

While we're at it, I just ordered sheet music for La Musica Notturna Di Madrid, Boccherini, for string quintet. This is the last scene music in Master and Commander, the final CAptain-Doctor duet (also last scene music in the recent PBS original new Sherlock Holmes story).

Do I just have to bring it all up an octave for whistle/flute?

Thanks.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

fearfaoin wrote:
Fair question. In the Irlands best tin whistle tunes It is (I), and there is also a (II). I have seen both with differant numbers at other sites.
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

A Cape Breton Reel by Jerry Holland called Iggie and Squiggie.

Best, John
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

fearfaoin wrote:
I only know numbers 2 and 3. #2 is also called Maurice Manley's Polka, and #3 is also called Tom Billy's.

#3 has an odd begiinning that makes you think you're in a prolonged intro until you find you're halfway through the first part. It's kinda cool when you catch on.

Suburban Symphony
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Key_of_D wrote:I'd like to learn the Irish Washerwoman, just haven't gotten around to learning it!
Why? :-?

This one falls into the "Danny Boy" category for me. I can't tell whether I'd actually like it or not, just because it seems like I've heard it way way too many times. Do people play it in sessions, ever? Or only when pressured?

But if you love it, do learn it!

There's another couple by Jerry Holland that my daughter and I love to play, Brenda Stubbert's (a reel) and James Cameron (a march).

Jennie
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

I'm into a double set of slips right now:

The Snowy Path into Foxhunter's Jig (as heard on Blackthorn Band: Far From Home CD) Mega FUN!

I really like Shandon Bells (Jig), too.