Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Low D

Post by Guest »

I'm thinking about buying a low-d but I'm being cautious because they cost so much and I want to be sure I can play it. Has anyone crossed over from playing a high-d to low-d and has any advice? I'm just scared it will be a whole new instrument to learn, I know finger positions are a bit different and breath requirments...is it something I'd be able to pick up and play or something I'd have to re-learn?
Crevan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Crevan »

Like you mentioned, there are two problems that I can see with going from high to low. The first is that low whistles can take more air than you're used to. Also, they are much harder to handle. You'll have to learn piper's grip in order to feel comfortable. After you become accustomed to these new adjustments, you may find that the two instruments are very similar. It took me about a week to start playing the same tunes on a low D that I could play on my high-keyed whistles.
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: Low D

Post by fearfaoin »

FenianForFreedom wrote:is it something I'd be able to pick up and play or something I'd have to re-learn?
Unless you have really long fingers, it will take some time to get used
to the fingering. Just be aware that this will be a source of frustration
for a little while and stick with it. Low whistle is not as hard as flute to
get a good tone on, but there will probably be some work involved, yes.
Celtic983
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Celtic983 »

It me about a week of playing to get used to as well. Two things that you might do. #1 instead of a low d, get a low g. A low G is a good cross over whistle. If, however, you are intent on getting a low d perhaps a dixon or somthing similiar that has lower blowing requirements and smaller fingerings. There are other ones out there that fit in this category.
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Dee Whistler

Post by Dee Whistler »

Hi!

I can only say that I fully recommend it! I started with high-D and then moved straight to low-D and nowadays play them both pretty much the same amount.

I don't think the breath requirements are so difficult (at least it has not been for me, requirements vary between different makers, I have Ian Lambe low D). The most difficult is the fingering which is similar to piping fingering, it is way too difficult to use only fingertips like with the high-D. But that said, I think you can pick it up quite quickly, takes just little practise and determination. For some time I found it little tricky to switch between high and low D:s because the fingerings, but after awhile it became easier.

Of course, some ornaments and faster tunes are a bit trickier to play with low whistle, cause it's perhaps not so responsive and has bigger fingerholes as the high whistle. However I find it pretty rewarding that if I have practised some faster tune with low whistle it feels much easier to play with high one after that.

So, besides the fingering it is pretty much the same thing as the high one.

What I can recommend is that read and listen what people have to say and pick a whistle that generally have had good reviews and then just go for it.
It's not that hard to play it right. It's hard to play it wrong in the right place.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Also, now that I think about it, an important tip is, when you first get
the whistle, start by playing long notes, beginning with C#, then work
DOWN to the D. Don't move on until you have each note solid.
Because the holes are larger, Low D wistles are less forgiving of any
leaks around your fingers. If you try to play your bell note first, you'll
probably throw the whistle across the room, cause it ain't coming out
first thing. You have to work down to it until you have the fingering
pegged.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Celtic983 wrote:It me about a week of playing to get used to as well. Two things that you might do. #1 instead of a low d, get a low g. A low G is a good cross over whistle.
I'd agree with this, only i chose an F.

?
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

F is good too :)
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

And then you can play along with all those tunes with Lunasa :) Only reason I said G was that G might be usefull in a session. An F, though, would be better to get the feel of the low d

Benjamin Franklin
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I bought a Dixon low G to learn to play a lower whistle. Then I bought a Howard low D. I found it easier to play than the Dixon. However I found it almost like learning all over again. It was easier this time but there are differences in the technique. It has taken me about 6 weeks and I am beginning to be able to play the same tunes on the low as I can on the Hi. Other brands may be easier or harder. Face it, whichever brand you buy you have to learn its peculiarities.
That said I prefer a Hi D or Eb.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Daniel Bingamon has a very niceLow D in pvc, easy on the wallet, plays nicely and may not require using 'the piper's grip'. My niece gave her boyfriend her Susato Low D and kept the Bingamon Low-D for herself -- and she plays it using the standard grip, not pipers grip. Just another possibility to consider .... :)

Judy
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

RonKiley wrote:I found it easier to play than the Dixon.
Ron
Yeah, dixons take some breath control. I thought about that after I had posted. I still think that they are a pretty good begainer low whistle. But, there may be better begainer brands out their.
Face it, whichever brand you buy you have to learn its peculiarities.
Very true. So perhaps the best advice is, borrow certain brands before you buy, and find out what is best for you.

Benjamin Franklin
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I wear size 7 gloves, which is an unusually small size for a man... but I can still manage most low D whistles just fine.
There are some models that you might want to avoid if you also have very small hands, but most people can manage all low D whistles with practice... beyond that, like low C, I have yet to try.
It would likely make the transition easier if you got a low G or F first, and then move on to low D after you get used to the different fingering.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I very recently got to try out a low D Chieftain for a few weeks (thanks to stewysmoot) and made quite a bit of progress in the first week. When I first picked it up I thought it was hopeless, just keep at it and the practice will be rewarding. You will also find your soprano D much easier to play after wrestling with the beast that is the Low D. Don't get discouraged, it's all about finding the fingering positions that put the least amount of strain on you hand. Be prepared, however for some pain in the hands while you're getting used to it. Practice your scales while watching tv, etc. just to get used to the positions of your hands. I found the air requirements on the Chieftain to be minimal. I would say it's not any harder (breath wise) to play than a Clarke original. Hope this helps.
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

I got a Dixon low D not too long ago and I really like it. When I first played a low whistle it was a Howard, and the finger stretch (especially for the bottom D) was pretty extreme for me and my stubby nordic fingers. The Dixon, on the other hand, is more managable. Plus it doesn't take a large amount of air to play. It was also more afforable than a lot of other whistles (~$75).
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."