Flute mop on-line seller in US?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I like the silk cloths because they dry super-fast. After a session or gig, especially since I'm looking at an hour's drive home (and in the winter .... yipes!), I don't like the idea of putting a soaked swab back in the case -- or worse, storing it in the bore!

Silk swabs also squash down to fit smaller-bore flutes better; i.e., they're less inclined to jam in flutes with tiny little feetsies.

So I'm a silk-and-skinny-plastic or -wood flute-rod person myself .... :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I like the silk cloths because they dry super-fast. After a session or gig, especially since I'm looking at an hour's drive home (and in the winter .... yipes!), I don't like the idea of putting a soaked swab back in the case -- or worse, storing it in the bore!

Silk swabs also squash down to fit smaller-bore flutes better; i.e., they're less inclined to jam in flutes with tiny little feetsies.

So I'm a silk-and-skinny-plastic or -wood flute-rod person myself .... :-)
Now, all that Cathy said was a good idea, but I especially liked the part about the little feetsies! :) That does tend to be a problem when using larger pieces of cut up cotton t-shirts and such. They mop well, but can get tight sometimes if you're not careful. It helps if you have a cleaning rod that you can just push through if it gets a little tight too.

Thanks Cathy!
~~~~
Barry
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Sorry, guys, I was feeling silly. Glad you enjoyed it, Barry! And it is true, I've had a couple of scary "jam-sessions of the cloth encounters kind" on little thinwall flutes like Murrays. And it really, REALLY stinks when you're dealing with a keyed foot -- there's not much real estate to grab onto, there!

Anyway, here's a link to the ones I'm rather fond of ...

http://www.wwbw.com/Jewel-Silk-Flute-Swab-i105616.music

(yeah, I admit, the tie-dye aspect does come into play) :-)

Like I said, one of those with the cheapest skinny plastic flute rod you can find (or make out of a dowel) and you're in business.

(P.S. I have used that one fellow's cork-grease cap suggestion from an earlier thread on occasion when I've wanted to get really swabby, and it works great for up around the cork -- just put the cap on the end of your cleaning rod, drape the cloth over it, and off you go)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I use a microfiber eyeglass cleaning cloth. It's not much thicker than silk and absorbs spectacularly well. It's very easy to wash and dries in a flash.

Rapid drying without the threat of souring is important. You don't want bacteria growing on it. Phew! You would likely never get the stink out of a flute.

Nor do you want oil going rancid on an oiling cloth, so I use bits of old cotton jersey t-shirts or running pants so they can be thrown away.

The silk swabs you found, Cat, look really nice. I notice they are out of stock. Just how many did you buy????
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

dow wrote:The rod is the handle end of a two or three piece rifle cleaning rod or maybe a one-piece pistol cleaning rod.
This is great. I thought I was the only one using one of these. I wrapped the metal shaft with black electrical tape to save any damage to the bore. I've been using bits of old t-shirts for a swab, but now that I know I can use sheepskin ...hmm, where's Lambchop .... "Oh, Laaaammmmby!" :twisted:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

if you're spending thousands on a flute....
why are you going "cheap" with the single item important to keep it in shape?

I use padsavers.....a newly made product is forthcoming for woodflutes that we've been working on, including tips that will clean out the water at the cork!
in Rudall and Pratten lengths

dm
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

A silk swab on a stick is quite versatile -- you can put it on any way you want, and it can be twisted on in such a way that it does dry the cork quite well in addition to being twisted on thinly as Cat pointed out. Also, it's been pointed out many times that following a maker's instructions is a good idea, and that's what I do (although not to the point of using silk on an Olwell and jersey on a Hammy).

David, I just looked up padsavers, and it didn't look to me as though they were for swabbing, but for leaving in the flute to dry the pads out. Am I missing something?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Just a note: never leave anything damp (be it a padsaver or anything else) inside the bore of any flute, wood or metal.

On a wooden flute, this seems to me likely to keep the wood stressed and I would think it could easily lead to a crack.

On a metal flute, this will keep moisture next to the pads, which will tend to keep them damp and sticky, which is the last thing you want them to be. It will cause them to swell and loose their seating, it will cause them to make loud popping sounds on opening and closing, and it can make them rot.

Use them fuzzy sticks to dry that flute out, says I, and then leave them outside the case so they'll be nice and dry for the next go-round. :wink:

--James
neilC
Tell us something.: Flute player with The Munster Men, trying to get all the help and advice I can as the journey never ends!

Post by neilC »

Hi Cathy! The 'cork grease cap fellow' was me - glad to hear my crazy idea has found a friend :-) I still dry my head joint like that, although I do plan to get a pad saver next time I visit the music shop.
Flute and whistle player with The Munster Men

A few random recordings of mine on YouTube
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
dow wrote:The rod is the handle end of a two or three piece rifle cleaning rod or maybe a one-piece pistol cleaning rod.
This is great. I thought I was the only one using one of these. I wrapped the metal shaft with black electrical tape to save any damage to the bore. I've been using bits of old t-shirts for a swab, but now that I know I can use sheepskin ...hmm, where's Lambchop .... "Oh, Laaaammmmby!" :twisted:

djm
:really: You are just incorrigible.

Cute, but incorrigible.

You could use finely woven wool. Lambskin would get stuck up your end. You wouldn't want that, would you?

Silk is a lot better. Those worms go to a lot of effort for you, as do the microfiber guys. I tell you, you can't beat microfiber.

You get a little sauce on it, and it washes right out. Can't say that for lambskin.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

i use a fishing weight, tied by a thread to a piece of old tshirt. the clothe is thin at the one end near the weight, and then gradually tapered out a bit wider at the other end.
then i just take the hj off the flute, slide the fishing weight down the flute til it comes out the foot end and then drag the clothe thru the bore. i find this to be fast, cheap, easy and effective.
i learned it form my old shaku teacher. it is how he mopped out the shakuhachi.
scooter587

Post by scooter587 »

For a low-cost source of silk swabs, go to your local thrift store (Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.), and buy a silk necktie. Just look for one with the tag still on the back that gives the fabric content. I paid $0.50 for my last 100% silk necktie, and got 6 swabs out of it.
Dana

Post by Dana »

My issue with Pad Savers is this - they release little fuzzys after a while. Also, the little plastic cap at the end can come off, revealing sharp metal underneath. I'll use then for oiling, but nothing else. Wood or plastic flute cleaning rods are inexpensive and readily available, and the silk cloths really absorb well. If you want to put out some money, the flute flags are a wonderful invention, and allow you to swap/mop without taking the flute apart. They're at http://home.nethere.net/roger45/fluteflaga.htm .

Dana
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:Lambskin would get stuck up your end. You wouldn't want that, would you?
:lol: :lol: :lol: No ... no, I suppose not. :lol: :lol: :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Paul McGlinchey

Post by Paul McGlinchey »

About 20 years ago, Marcas o'Murchu told me the best way to clean a flute was with rolled up newspaper. I found that quite good if a little messy (the ink always comes off). I switched to using pages from magazines, which I found works quite nicely.
I have used baby oil to oil my flutes for many years now. Its thinner than most other oils and smells better too!