Your first?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

My first whistle was a non-tunable Overton Low D. I don't have that particular one, but I now have a tunable version of it, and just a few others as well. :twisted:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Feadin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Feadin »

The first whistle I played was a nickel Generation D, but I bought a Feadog Pro shortly after that..... then I got a Meg D, a Dixon High D and a NT Water Weasel High D, wich is the whistle I play more often.
I used to like the sound of my Feadog's, but now that I have the other whistles for comparison, I found that I like better a purer sound... the WW has not a really pure sound, but it's "purer" than the Feadog..... and I'm buying a Burke soon anyway :)
Cristian Feldman
WilliamC
Tell us something.: Whistle and flute player. I've been playing for about 15 years now.
I am addicted to Chiff and Fipple. I access this site at least once a day.

Post by WilliamC »

A Gen C I bought in Berea, Ky. (Bria, Kintuckuh, Cranberry?) in the late 80's. This was one of the good Gens, with a beautiful, chiffy tone. I still play it. Other Gens I've bought since haven't been so nice.
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

I got my first whistle when I was 8 on a trip to Mount Vernon. I believe it was a Cooperman.
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

First whistle was a joke Christmas gift a few years ago - a "D" Irish Whistle, common is gift shops. Brass body, green mouthpiece. (If anyone knows who makes these I'd love to know.)

The interior edge of the mouthpiece had cracks from the manufacturing process. Later I put a Mack white cap on the brass body and it was pretty good. It now resides in a truck for unexpected chances to practise.

Next whistle (less than a week) was a Sweetone D.

Today I mostly play Burke D - Brass, session.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

A Feadan. Bought it in Newport, RI. Nice whistle . Too bad that it isn't made anymore.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

My first whistle was an Oak I got over 20 years ago. I still have it and play it occasionally. I didn't get a second whistle for about 15 years. Now I play a Sindt most of the time and Hoover white cap the rest.
Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

My first whistle was a Clarke C that was bought in Old Washington, Arkansas, when I was in ninth grade, many many moons ago--say about 1979 or so.

I didn't play Irish trad tunes on it--well, actually I did, but I didn't know I did, I had picked up the tune "Rakes of Mallow" from somewhere and played it over and over and over, with variations this way and that way--all the wrong way, I suspect. :boggle:

I haven't laid eyes on that whistle for maybe four years, but I think it still exists somewhere, packed away in a box in corner somewhere, probably.

--James
John F.

Post by John F. »

Well, I'm new to the whistle, but I have a Clarke "Celtic" and a Feadog-both in D. However, I recently made my own whistle, which blows the other two out of the water-I've since given the other two to my kids to get them started! :D
Welcome to Uncle John's "Home for Unwanted and Misfit Flutes and Whistles".
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

John F. wrote:Well, I'm new to the whistle, but I have a Clarke "Celtic"
Hey, that was my first whistle, too! I am surprised how much they
can cost when they've been played by minor celebrities:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 97313&rd=1
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

My first was an Oak D. It was given to me by someone who never played it, about 25 years ago. I still have the tube. The head disintegrated a year or so ago. I never did like that whistle anyway.
Henke

Post by Henke »

It all started with a brass Generation D and a Clarke original C. I think it was some 5 or 6 years ago or so. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping track of time, even if it's just a few years.
I still keep both. Not playing them very much though. The only whistles I pick up these days are my Syns.
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

This is a really great thread and has caused me to reminisce a bit today. As mentioned earlier, I got my first whistle when I was Eight. I never really played it untill I was in high school. My sophmore year there was a talent show at my school. One of my friends played my whistle, another my bodhran, and my theater teacher played guitar. I sang and played hammered dulcimer. Arghh Talk about scary!! Playing Celtic music in back woods East Texas in front of 200 of your peers as well as trying to sing and play HD. I sang the song about 2 octaves lower than I normally would have :) Well sorry to rant on but just been thinking about it all day. Thanks for the thread :)
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I started on a Clarke Original D about....... five years ago..... I think :-? . I still occasionally enjoy the sound that comes from the wooden fipple but it has many a dent and the signature Clarke diamonds have long since worn off. It seems to get breathier and breathier every time I play it. That whistle has been in several states and spent many hours in the Phoenix heat since it was my car whistle for a long time. Since then a Clarke meg and a Feadog have replaced it as the car whistle. Nowadays it's collecting dust somewhere on my computer desk. Since I now have a Burke DAN, I don't see the oul' Clarke getting much play time in the future.
(what I want to know is: Why is there not a tin whistling smiley emotocon?)
:D
Tou-Che

whistle

Post by Tou-Che »

tony dixon D non tunable. i acutually bought it as a souvenir when i went to ireland (shanna quay in adare)