Got kids? Want free college? Move to Kalamazoo!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
thurlowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Got kids? Want free college? Move to Kalamazoo!

Post by thurlowe »

Everyone in Kalamazoo is talking about this news. The announcement came out of nowhere:

"WHAT A GIFT!"

(WWMT) School administrators say Kalamazoo will be the only school district in the nation that will pay for all of its graduates to go to college.

Superintendent Janice Brown announced the Kalamazoo Promise program Thursday night. An anonymous group of donors will pay tuition and fees for any Michigan institution of higher learning. The program has no set end date and will be in place for at least the next 13 graduating classes.

The program begins in 2006.

"There is no catch,” said Brown. “The catch is: go to Kalamazoo public schools, graduate and get a scholarship. It's as simple as that."

Students who begin attending Kalamazoo public schools prior to tenth grade are eligible for the scholarship. The amount depends on how long the student has been enrolled. If the student has attended to Kalamazoo Public Schools from kindergarten through 12th grade, they will receive enough money to cover 100% of their college tuition.

The news was enthusiastically received by students like Ashley Hill, a junior at Kalamazoo Central High School. “It's a really good thing, we needed this. A lot of us going to college weren't going to because of funds.”

Said K-Central senior Isaac Boyd, “I was very worried. Me and my mom were struggling until we heard about that. It was magnificent.”

For Simone Snyder the announcement meant she does not have to worry about saving money for her 1st grader’s college education. “When they flashed to Dr. Brown, all I could think is, My son is going to go to college!”

Governor Jennifer Granholm says the Promise poises West Michigan for a highly educated population that will strengthen the area’s economy. “What a gift!” she said.

To remain eligible once in college, students must maintain at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average; must be in good standing; and must successfully complete 12 credit hours each semester.

The scholarship lasts four years from the high school graduating date unless it's interrupted by military service.

The Kalamazoo district has about 11,000 students in all grades.

Length of Attendance Benefit
K-12 ....................100%
1-12 .....................95%
2-12 .....................95%
3-12 .....................95%
4-12 .....................90%
5-12 .....................85%
6-12 .....................80%
7-12 .....................75%
8-12 .....................70%
9-12 .....................65%
10-12 ...................None
11-12 ...................None
12-12 ...................None

Anyway, folks, Kalamazoo's a neat place to be. But it could use more Irish trad musicians. The carrot has been dangled.
:wink:

Cara
missy

Re: Got kids? Want free college? Move to Kalamazoo!

Post by missy »

thurlowe wrote:
Length of Attendance Benefit
10-12 ...................None
11-12 ...................None
12-12 ...................None
Hey - Flydood - you are off the hook, I was just about to ask you when you wanted Noah to move in with you!!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Wow! That could be a very attractive enticement for a young family to move to Kalamazoo, but are there enough jobs and housing in the area for an influx of new residents?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

Here's a whole bunch of dangling carrots:

Top Employers in Kalamazoo:

Pfizer 6,100
Bronson Hospital 3,000
National City Bank 2,922
Western Michigan University 2,887
Borgess Health Alliance 2,410
Meijer, Inc. 2,400
Kalamazoo Public Schools 2,300
Portage Public Schools 1,173
Stryker Corporation 1,400
Kalamazoo Valley Community College 1,100
Kalamazoo County 1,000
Summit Polymers 1,000
United State Post Office 945
City of Kalamazoo 915
Eaton Corporation 850
Benteler Automotive 430
ABEX NWL, Division 430
SBC 400
Flowserve Corp 400
DesignWare An American Greeting Company 384
Kalamazoo Regional Psychiatric Hospital 378
CMC Kalamazoo, Inc. 370
Borroughs Manufacturing Corp 350
Kalamazoo Gazette 350
Graphic Packaging Corp - Recycled paperboard 343
Fifth Third Bank 300
Mann & Hummel 300

From the Convention & Visitors website:

Located in the heart of the Great Lakes region, midway between Chicago and Detroit, Kalamazoo County is a thriving community of more than 238, 000 people. Four cities, five villages and 15 townships, comprise the eighth largest county in the state of Michigan.

For a complete relocation packet e-mail editor@kazoochamber.com or call (269) 381-4000.
[/color]

I imagine that number is getting a workout right now.

Some very nice housing was recently made available as hundreds of Pfizer jobs were moved to New Jersey. I was able to buy my own house in the city on a $30,000+ salary.

Anyway. It's a thought.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Wow. Cara is really hawking Kalamazoo.

Yes, Kalamazoo is a nice place to live. That's why I live here.

I think the whole college thing is really cool. Maybe it will set a precident. My only reservation is I don't like Kalamazoo Schools. Maybe the quality of the students will improve with this incentive.

Too bad they didn't have this when I was a lad.

Missy, Yep, I missed all the fun!!! :lol:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dapolishunicyclist

Post by dapolishunicyclist »

Flyingcursor wrote: Yes, Kalamazoo is a nice place to live. That's why I live here.
And every time Michigans LP gets a dusting of snow, Kzoo gets a foot and a half.
djm

Post by djm »

I would have thought that there would be a bit of discretion as to what courses were taken/paid for, e.g. you can't do much with a BA in History, Political Sciences or English Lit. Where I work, they have BAs pushing mail carts. There are so many BAs now that it has eroded the value somewhat.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

djm wrote:I would have thought that there would be a bit of discretion as to what courses were taken/paid for, e.g. you can't do much with a BA in History, Political Sciences or English Lit. Where I work, they have BAs pushing mail carts. There are so many BAs now that it has eroded the value somewhat.
So, you'd advise something more practical? How about Philosophy?

I'm wondering what this program will end up costing each year.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
djm

Post by djm »

Darwin wrote:How about Philosophy?
Exactly. The smart thing to do is poll the local major employers to see what they want now, what they think they'll want 5 years from now, etc. As well, they could look at state and national employment figures to see where the trends are headed. Throwing away millions on bozo courses will soon bring the program to its knees, whereas showing a worthwhile result would encourage more donations, as well as see the program expanded to other areas, resulting in more people benefiting from such programs.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I might find a wife in Kalamazoo, have kids, and get them free scholarship. I'm not sure if the fact that I'm canadian can lead to some problems, though. :-) If Cara is an example of how people are in Kalamazoo, I'm sure it's a very nice place to live.
Denny

Post by Denny »

djm wrote:There are so many BAs now that it has eroded the value somewhat.
Kinda like a 2K post count?
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

djm wrote:I would have thought that there would be a bit of discretion as to what courses were taken/paid for, e.g. you can't do much with a BA in History, Political Sciences or English Lit. Where I work, they have BAs pushing mail carts. There are so many BAs now that it has eroded the value somewhat.

djm
I don't know where you work, but where I come from, people with B.A.'s in English Lit. are considered prime editorial material.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Azalin wrote:I might find a wife in Kalamazoo, have kids, and get them free scholarship. I'm not sure if the fact that I'm canadian can lead to some problems, though. :-) If Cara is an example of how people are in Kalamazoo, I'm sure it's a very nice place to live.
Yeah, but I'm also an example.
:twisted:

Djm, I'd be sad to see the day when people are so obsessed with the corporate money hungry definition of practicality that people quit majoring in things like History, Philosophy etc.

The only thing I don't like about the program is the grade point requirements are abysmally low. You only have to maintain a 2.0 average in the college of your choice.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Never been there but I like that old song...

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H
I got a gal in Kalamazoo
Don’t want to boast but I know she’s the toast of Kalamazoo
(Zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo)

Years have gone by, my my how she grew
I liked her looks when I carried her books in Kalamazoo
(Zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo)

I’m gonna send away, hoppin’ on a plane, leavin’ today
Am I dreamin’? I can hear her screamin’
"Hiya, Mr. Jackson"
Everything’s OK, A-L-A-M-A-Z-O

Oh, what a gal, a real pipperoo
I’ll make my bid for that freckle-faced kid I’m hurryin’ to
I’m goin’ to Michigan to see the sweetest gal in Kalamazoo
(Zoo, zoo)
(Zoo, zoo, zoo, Kalamazoo)
K (K)
A (A)
L-A-M-A-Z-O
(Oh, oh, oh, oh what a gal, a real pipperoo)
(We’re goin’ to Michigan to see the sweetest gal in Kalamazoo)
(Zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo)
(Kalamazoo!!)
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.