A truly civilized society respects elders...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
kb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A truly civilized society respects elders...

Post by kb »

glands

Post by glands »

I thought the McDonalds on Vanderbilt Hospital property was hypocrisy. This one takes the cake!
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Years ago I would spend frequent evenings is a bar that had Happy Hour from 7-9am every day. A shot and a short beer for $1. Many of the early morning patrons were elderly. Maybe it's not the same.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

It seems like a great idea to me. I don't drink but if I did and I were in a nursing home, unable to get out, I would be really happy to have a pub. I wouldn't expect to get the drinks for free, so its being a money-making operation wouldn't bother me if they charge the same as on the outside. The hours are 11AM to 9PM, that seems about right. I don't think they are going to let people harm themselves. And if it makes it more attractive for visitors to come, all the better. This idea, to me, seems more like stopping off at your local for a pint on the way home from work rather than going out and getting bombed on the weekend.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jan Erik

Post by Jan Erik »

Wrong forum.
daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

And here it was that I thought we would get some more information on elder reeds!! :P
Just so that Joseph dosen't boot this thread to a less-worthy page, does anyone have some spare elder for drones, or larger pieces for chanter reeds that I might get my hands on? My pair of trees are at least five years from producing usable quills, or pieces large enough to carve reeds from.

As for the McDonald's on Vanderbilt-hallowed soil; I thought they would at least put in a Subway (US sandwich shop chain, owned by a group of M.D.'s I believe ) :lol:

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
Jan Erik

Post by Jan Erik »

Has anyone tried the VOOM HD channels on Dish Network?
Jan Erik

Post by Jan Erik »

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

What in God's name could possibly be so bad about a pint and some socialization!

You know, when you're old and sitting in your own poop in a wheelchair, you'll re-think your negativity.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think a pub in a nursing home is a wonderful idea!

And I think the concept implies a great respect for elders:

Just becaue you're old and can't get around on your own doesn't mean you're less human, or less adult, than you once were.

Anything to brighten up their lives is a Good Thing! :)

--James
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Some years ago, I worked for the Sisters of Mercy at a medical center in Ohio. Almost every evening, we had regular “unofficial” deliveries of pizza and beer to the floors that took care of the elderly patients. The good sisters had it right, why deny these folks a little pleasure in their last days?

By the way, the good Sisters would not turn away the delivery of some Pizza and a couple of six packs of beer to their convent on the hospital campus if someone were to send it either. This seemed to happen at a regular weekly interval. I must confess that I was one of those “heathens” that had a hand in this.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I think it could be rather charming.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Last drinks now please...

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

dubhlinn wrote:Last drinks now please...

Slan,
I hope that when my time comes, one of my mates will have the grace to hand me a cup of my favorite beverage and softly sing the Parting Glass with me.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

peteinmn wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:Last drinks now please...

Slan,
I hope that when my time comes, one of my mates will have the grace to hand me a cup of my favorite beverage and softly sing the Parting Glass with me.
I hope some piper will come and visit me. We'd play a few tunes together, then I would produce a bottle or two of Jamie 1780 (smuggled in by friends and relatives), and we'd proceed to get plowed, all the while playing The Pure Drop. :)