Your first?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Black Mage
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Your first?

Post by Black Mage »

Just curious to know, what was everyone's very first whistle? When did you get it? Do you still have it and play it? How does it sound?

I got my first whistle in June (I think). A Clarke Orginal D. I only have two other whistles (Clarke C and Dixon low D), but my Clarke D is still my favorite.

Though it requires a fair amount of air to play, the sound of my Clarke D is sweet (I think that's the word), with just a little bit of chiff to remind you of it's humble simplicity.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
Skyclad01
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

My first whistle I got was almost 2 years ago. It's a brass Acorn and it sounds great. It's been one of my best whistle's so far. (I dont know if its fair to compair my Generation's as they are all Nickel and have a sweeter sound) But my Acorn is just as loud as my Susato vsb and probably one of my best tuned whistles in both registers.

And I definitely still play it and prefer it over my Meg and Sweetone's and my Feadog (which currently is a peice of junk)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

These threads have been done before, but my first was a brass Walton's D, about 11 years ago. I still have it.
Reasonable person
Walden
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Oak C. It's the only whistle I didn't order online.

It's an ok whistle, I suppose. Don't really like the sound. I still have it, though. :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

Walden wrote:These threads have been done before...
I assumed as much, but everyone enjoys bragging about their whistles, so I thought no one would object.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

My first whistle was a Susato high D I got in Halifax after hearing a lot of great music on Cape Breton Island and at the Lunenberg Folk Festival---none of it on the whistle. It was probably about 10 years ago. I played it a few times and put it away. I started playing it again about a year ago. Since then I have gotten two other whistles---a Burke and a tweaked Generation---and my needs are satisfied. I didn't like the way the high notes sounded on the Susato and it is very loud so I don't play it. I think that it could sound much better than it did given a more experienced player, so I certainly intend to keep it.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

My first was behind my girlfriend's father's toolshed...

oh wait, nevermind
:oops:
slowair

Post by slowair »

My first was a Clarke Original D. I soon after picked up a Susato and threw the Clarke in the trash.

The search for perfection has not relented. But I am getting closer.

Mike
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Acorn
At night, in those corners of our minds we deny by day, magical things can happen in the moon shadows. And if they can't, a) they should, and b) we should always in any event act as if they can. --Roger Ebert
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

My first was like most others, Clarke Original D with the gold diamonds. Still play it, even after almost 2 years. Not very long, but seems long. I think the wood fipple got warped and ruined when I took it to California last year, and the climate changes from dry phoenix air to humid ocean side screwd it up. Still plays, but the high notes aren't as great as they once were. I don't think it was trash though. I think the waltons little black D I bought is a piece of crap. Thing couldn't even play more than 10 notes. I threw that one away. But, I love my Meg D.. I'd like to get a burke D, and a good A and Bb whistle if I could find some. I like the Syn C, but it clogs too easily and in no time flat. But anyways, For now, I'm stuck with the clarkes for the cheapy whistles. Haven't found anything better, at least not for the key of D.
Jack

Post by Jack »

My first was a plain silver Sweetone which I got at a music store in West Virginia.

My last was a bamboo whistle which I got at a craft store in Kentucky.
Henkersbraut

Post by Henkersbraut »

A Generations D and a C.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

bluefipple generation D. Many years ago. Bought it in Edinburgh. Didn't play it for a very long time, it just didn't work. I think I tried to play along to a bagpipe-tune on the D-whistle, which, of course, isn't possible. But I didn't know that at the time.
Still got the Gen. ;)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I bought a Clarke original D and an Acorn D on the same day about 5 or 6 years ago. (I've been playing other instruments for decades.)

I still like the Clarke but rarely play it. The Acorn sits around unplayed. Since the fingering is similar to saxopohone which I'd been playing for nearly 30 years, I made fairly quick progress and moved on to Susatos and Overtons within a couple of months.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Generation bequeathed to me by a friend of my mother.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)