Are these Northumbians?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Are these Northumbians?

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

I think there was a thread on these before. They are probably a small pipe set with a Brian Boru style practise chanter. Most likely of Pakistani make.
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Thats what I thought also. Thanks
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
John S

Post by John S »

Looking at the Key work I think it might just give you lower leeding tone or semitone and one note over the octave.

John S
reedman

Post by reedman »

They look more like Scottish small pipes to me, :-? but i could be wrong. :)
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
Chris Bayley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Chris Bayley »

Definately not. They are being sold as Northumbrian Pipes, Uilleann Pipes and also more correctly a Brian Boru practice chanter with three drones.

Bidding is kept private so that potential buyers cannot be warned off
Chris Bayley

Post by Chris Bayley »

Definately not. They are being sold as Northumbrian Pipes, Uilleann Pipes and also more correctly a Brian Boru practice chanter with three drones.

Bidding is kept private so that potential buyers cannot be warned off
Jessica Ventura

Post by Jessica Ventura »

Isn't this the same seller that listed the pakistani set 4 or 5 times with pic of woman resting the drones over her shoulder?
Giuseppe Fabbro, ...., ...., ...., priest, Pat Roberston, and white meat. - Georgio Carlino
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

I see the pipes are not signed. Any idea on why those Pakistanis do not sign or stamp their work?
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

These are Scottish Small pipes with a keyed chanter. Here is a picture of Scottish Small pipes in A.
http://www.borderpipes.co.uk/images/sma ... picbig.jpg

Note the drones. Put a couple of keys on it and the chanter looks the same.

The bass drone looks a little short but it probably isn't set, so hard to tell.

It's a Pakistan manufactured copy of Scottish Small pipes with keys on the chanter.

You can call them Brian Boru practice pipes if you like, even though the keys are not the same as the diagram posted elsewhere. The original Brian Boru pipes were a highland chanter with some keys added to increase the range, nothing more. The chanter was put on highland pipe and border pipe drones and are pictured in both of these configurations.

The tuneing is suspect but if you know your way around small pipes these could be a bargain. I'm considering buying them just for the bellows except that pakistani leather can be nasty. :boggle:
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
taupe

Post by taupe »

Note the drones. Put a couple of keys on it and the chanter looks the same.
Yes they do look the same but unfortunately they do not work in the same way and this was all covered a few posts ago. Definately not SSP's

The chanter on these is an Irish Brien Boru Practice Chanter designed by Henry Starck. Although the chanter is essentially a GHB Pipe chanter fingering is totally different to GHB, NSP and Uilleann. In this design all the fingers are moved down one note which leaves the low hand pinky free to operate the downward extension keywork consisting of two open keys which when closed take the chanter down to Low E. Low 'A' is made by lifting the lower hand ring finger. Because the hand has been moved down the top thumb hole is not the octave but the seventh - G#. To get the top 'a' there is a key on the front of the chanter. It is played by removing each finger in turn until all are off - a completely open system.

The story is here and states how the above system does NOT suit Scottish pipers

http://www.ipba.ie/starck.html

Chris Bayley also shows a Brien Boru Scottish System chanter on his website - keywork is totally different to suit normal GHB fingering and the low extension keys seem to be worked by the top hand pinky

http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk/British%2 ... BrBoru.htm

"Lark in the Morning" sell full size Boru Pipes and state that fingering is different than the standard GHB - it appears to be the Irish System

http://www.larkinam.com/product.asp?%20 ... 1132000470

I suppose one could call these BB based pipes "Irish Small Pipes" :D
Chris Bayley

Post by Chris Bayley »

Yes it is a Brian Boru Irish System practice chanter based set - design was by William O'Duane and Henry Starck patented in 1907(UK) and 1913(US). It replaced the less successful Dungannon Pipes. O'Duane's ambition was to invent a marching bagpipe specific to Ireland.

The less common Scottish System (Patented 1910) was designed for GHB players however the tuning stayed the same as the Irish system with the G's being sharp.

Starck has this to say on the full size instrument
"This Bagpipe should appeal to all Irishmen, as the tone, though very powerful , is equal in sweetness to that of the Union Pipes; and on it they will be able to play most of the exquisite music of their native land, and be able to render it with a depth of feeling not possible on any other Bagpipe of the same kind.

The scale, on account of its simplicity, can easily be learned in a few hours, and the manipulation of the keys will come quite naturally after a little experience. If an hour each day be devoted to practice, the performer should , at the end of six months, be qualified to play operatic and other selections with comparative ease.
Certainly quicker than the much quoted 7 + 7.....etc.

Note the term "Union Pipes" - Uilleann Pipes had not been invented :devil:

and.......... even if it were a Scottish System Practice chanter it still would not be a SSP. It would be a Miniature or Chamber bagpipe.

Also the description on Lark is not correct - the Scottish system has the same compass as the Irish system. I guess our "far eastern" friends have only ever seen the Irish system which is why they do not produce the Scottish system chanters.
reedman

Post by reedman »

So Dos'e this chanter play in two octave like the union pipes.?
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

http://www.rhythmindustries.com/bigpipes-5.htm

The company that makes them in Pakistan calls them Smallpipes.... See link..
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

I sent this to the seller..

"These pipes are Scottish smallpipes, made in Pakistan by Rhythm Industries. They're replacement cost is about $100.00 U.S.

I hope your not trying to mislead people but these are not quality bagpipes, and are not in the Union or Uilleann catagory.."