my new star trek style brain washing machine

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I too thought this was a joke and didn't equate it with the chair wedge which seems a reasonable thing to me, even if it doesn't work for everyone. I think lixnaw has a funny title because he knew it would sound funny to many people---so some jokes seemed expected. And if it works for lixnaw, hey, I won't argue with that! Keep us posted.

TonyHiggins, if you posted something and you sounded very serious I think a lot of people would be sensitive to that. If it really sounded strange, you could emphasize that you realize that but that it works for you. It is hard to get the right idea across in print, that's for sure.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:I checked the Wedge out. At $80 its nothing more than a $2 piece of foam rubber that squashed absolutely flat and did nothing at all for me. Gimme kapok anytime. :D

djm
Really? It squished, did it? Hmmm, well, I was speaking about generic foam wedges anyway. The wedge concept, I think, was my emphasis. Wedges in general, wedges of a variety of materials.

You're correct that the memory foams squish out.

You can't beat kapok, I'll agree. One of nature's finest fluffs. Well, wool would possibly do it. You know, a nice wool-stuffed wedge would be very pleasant.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

http://skeptico.blogs.com/skeptico/2005 ... ou_wa.html

http://www.randi.org/jr/091302.html

I am More skeptical the More I read about it.

But if it works for you, More power to your elbow :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

TonyHiggins, if you posted something and you sounded very serious I think a lot of people would be sensitive to that. If it really sounded strange, you could emphasize that you realize that but that it works for you. It is hard to get the right idea across in print, that's for sure.
Hi Cynth, you're quite right. We each read the thing very differently. I admit that when I read the replies, I went back and reread the thing to see if lixnaw was joking and thought, hey, he/she's serious. That's when I felt bad about the replies. Anyway, I do have a thin skin; hoped I'd get thicker as I got older, but such has not happened. Also, living where I do, I'm exposed to a lot of radical ideas and beliefs and you learn to accept that whatever people tell you, it may be very real to them. I'll further admit I'd be curious to check out that device just to see...

And conversing with my son, who's studying physics at UC Berkeley, we often laugh about the nature and perception and descriptions of reality, whatever that is.

And before you knock placebos, I heard years ago that there was a 6 month powerful placebo effect to unnecessary surgeries. People feel greatly improved even if the surgery is unrelated to the condition: ie, an organ was removed just to see if it would help. The longer I work in western health care (RN), the more it scares me. Peace.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i'm not trying to less anything, nor have i any shares in the profit.
i just want to share what works for me, and maybe make others happy.
and as for the wedge pillow, i don't believe it can be squashed, it takes some time getting used to...
i don't need any skeptical scientists to tell my what's right or wrong. i can trust myself :)

with or without the Qlink,we're all different and all have a different path in life,
all have to struggle sometimes and therefore deserve the same respect.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Some people are aware of the subtle energies that surround us constantly. However, since these energies are difficult to detect or measure with scientific instruments, they are easily discounted as being imaginary. Although I am no longer selling any subtle energy divices, for several years I did offer subtle energy activating bracelets and anklets, selling them mostly at newage bookstores, fairs, by word of mouth, and on ebay. Here is an ebay page description that I found in my cache of old documents.

Doug’s Healing Energy Bracelets

For several years I have been making and selling different types of energy bracelets. The current bracelets that I am advertising here are non-magnetic and work with subtle energy, sometimes called Chi energy. Previously I have called them Chi-accumulator bracelets or subtle energy activating (SEA) bracelets. With my new design, however, using the same basic concept but with a different array of materials, I have chosen to call this new product simply Doug’s healing energy bracelet.

My energy bracelets are cloth bracelets that have sewn-in energy cells. They are very comfortable to wear. I have been wearing one day and night for several years. The energy cells are made from multiple (up to 15) alternating layers of cotton, rayon, acrylic felt, and both clear and silver mylar film. Three different energy cell configurations are used in the bracelet. The object of the bracelet design is to create alternating layers of Chi-conducting (acrylic felt, rayon) and Chi-insulating (cotton, mylar) materials. This array of materials is analogous to an electronic capacitor that is capable of being charged and discharged, and by this analogy the energy cells are seen as subtle energy accumulators.

The construction of my energy cells is reminiscent of the orgone accumulator developed by the psychiatrist, Wilhelm Reich (1897-1957), who used layers of organic and inorganic materials (for example: steel wool and cotton) to construct his accumulators. Although very controversial at the time, today there is a worldwide resurgence in the refinement of orgone technology and accumulator construction.

Michael Thau, one of the most respected authors and evaluators of subtle energy devices from a scientific as well as an intuitive perspective, has examined several of my subtle energy bracelets. While I did not pay him for a thorough report, in cursory examination, without giving his formal stamp of approval, he felt that the energy from my bracelets was positive and probably beneficial.

In terms of efficacy, without making any exorbitant claims, it is my belief that wearing my energy bracelet(s) may help with a variety of balancing/healing issues on both a physical and an emotional level. However, it must be mentioned that while sensitivity to subtle energy varies from person to person, it isn’t necessary to be aware of any changes in subtle energy and its movement throughout the body for there to be positive benefits as a result of wearing the bracelet(s). It is important to give the bracelet(s) a fair test without giving up too early.

In a personal letter from one of my customers, who has purchased a number of bracelets for himself, his family members, and his Reiki students, wrote: “Doug, you can certainly use me as a testimonial for your energy bracelets. My strong feeling is that the energy bracelets work primarily on the lower charkas, clearing energy pathways and allowing Chakra number one energy to move up the body to do its job of healing, balancing, and promoting well-being. Wearing the bracelet seems to have a calming effect and helps stimulate creativity. I have received several reports on how it has helped to mitigate symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. Several people have reported an increase in a sense of well-being when wearing the bracelets.”

The outside material of the bracelets can be sewn with a variety of colors and fabrics, and they come in small, medium, and large. I want to reiterate that, whereas I think that these are terrific bracelets, they have never been formally tested. No substantiated claim can be made to their efficacy, and they are not offered as a medical device.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

lixnaw wrote:i'm not trying to less anything, nor have i any shares in the profit.
i just want to share what works for me, and maybe make others happy.
and as for the wedge pillow, i don't believe it can be squashed, it takes some time getting used to...
i don't need any skeptical scientists to tell my what's right or wrong. i can trust myself :)

with or without the Qlink,we're all different and all have a different path in life,
all have to struggle sometimes and therefore deserve the same respect.
Oh, lixnaw, I never thought you were in the business of selling these! I'm sure no one thinks that. I thought just what you said above. It works for you and you wanted to tell people about it, even if they might be skeptical. There is no questioning of your motivations here I don't believe. I don't think any of the jokes are more than friendly ones myself. So please don't think there is disrespect involved. Just my take on it. With the chair wedge, it is clear that it might be helpful and how it might be helpful. With the necklace, it is not so clear and so it just provides an opportunity for a little joshing. And I do think that anything that helps without being harmful is good, no matter how it helps.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Cynth, i got a few pms from people who think i'm selling all this...i wouldn't mind that if i were though, anyway the golden rule is as always "try before you buy",
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

djm wrote:This reminds me of those magnetized bracelets that used to be sold to do wonderful things to your whole life just by having one on. And this, like your perfect chair, seems to be the same thing - just having one on. :wink: :lol:

djm
No, No. Really! They Work. Just like cubism.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

http://www.magitech.com/

This is the best page about manipulating Chi, Orgone, "subtle
energies", etc. that I've ever seen. This guy sells machines that
"generate chi".

It's.... colorful.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

lixnaw wrote:Cynth, i got a few pms from people who think i'm selling all this...i wouldn't mind that if i were though, anyway the golden rule is as always "try before you buy",
Therein lies the problem. If I could try one I probably would. I don't even like the idea of a money back guarantee because I have no idea of this company's reputation. If I saw one in a store then it would be different.

I'm certainly not averse to trying potentially new discoveries.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

fearfaoin wrote:http://www.magitech.com/

This is the best page about manipulating Chi, Orgone, "subtle
energies", etc. that I've ever seen. This guy sells machines that
"generate chi".

It's.... colorful.
Hmmmm....colorful is a start :lol: Are anyone else's eyes bothered by the blue text on this page? I bet this guy carries aluminum foil helmets too...

A buddy and I had an idea, but we scrapped it because we thougt it'd never catch on; seeing this page gives my idea new life...
I'm going to manufacture and distribute placebo medications.
Have a problem with pain? Just take one of my Pain Placebos! Mild indigestion with upset stomach? Take one of my Tummy Placebos! Mean people getting you down? Just take one of my Jerk-B-Gone Placebos! I'll have a placebo for every use!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Tyler Morris wrote:I'm going to manufacture and distribute placebo medications.
Plus, since they're all sugar pills, you can market them as chewable:
Children's Placebo Painkillers.

I love the prescription drug ads that state, "Side-effects are similar to
a sugar pill, and include diarrhea, vomiting, internal bleeding, and
speaking in tongues." I always wonder what sort of sugar they're
using!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

fearfaoin wrote: I love the prescription drug ads that state, "Side-effects are similar to
a sugar pill, and include diarrhea, vomiting, internal bleeding, and
speaking in tongues." I always wonder what sort of sugar they're
using!
Those people are probably outliers that suffer from the Nocebo effect. Give a kid enough experimental drugs in there youth and see how they react to “Placebos”.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

star dust has gone up in price, 40 oz. powder for US$485.00

http://www.tachyon-energy-products.com/ ... spaces.htm :lol: