Tube tips for women!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Tube tips for women!

Post by SteveShaw »

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/pdf ... -women.pdf
I just read about this in The Guardian. The government/London Underground has issued a leaflet called "Tube Tips For Women." You'll love this, girls. Look at all the lipstick bullet points and all that pinkness! Buy a "baby on board" badge to wear to get passengers to give up their seats for you! Avoid fainting by carrying a cereal bar that will fit into the tiniest handbag! Find out how to avoid a twisted ankle even when wearing your party shoes! Be alert to the possibility of the tube rocking you to sleep!

It's both outrageous and hilarious at the same time - quite an achievement.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Tube tips for women!

Post by izzarina »

SteveShaw wrote: Buy a "baby on board" badge to wear to get passengers to give up their seats for you!
WOO HOO!!! I wonder if I call the number if they'll send me one!

:lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
emmline

Post by emmline »

It seems the button won't be applicable for much longer Izz. I guess you can pin it to your snugli or something.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

What a strange thing :lol: ! They make a lot of good points, although I think many would apply to men just as well, but whoever designed it certainly does seem to be living in the 50's or something---it seems addressed to some other world entirely. Do women really have more problems? Maybe we do. "A surprising number of people faint during the morning rush hour..."---so I guess more of these unfortunate people are women than men? I have to admit, I am surprised that a surprising number of people are fainting. I would think a woman less likely to doze off on the train than a man because she would be more on guard. I want to see some statistics here! I can imagine more women spraining their ankles. I'd think any man would want to know where to find help--they get attacked too. Maybe they know men won't read instructions so they are trying to improve things by at least encouraging the women to eat breakfast and not doze off.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Cynth wrote:What a strange thing :lol: ! They make a lot of good points, although I think many would apply to men just as well, but whoever designed it certainly does seem to be living in the 50's or something---it seems addressed to some other world entirely. Do women really have more problems? Maybe we do. "A surprising number of people faint during the morning rush hour..."---so I guess more of these unfortunate people are women than men? I have to admit, I am surprised that a surprising number of people are fainting. I would think a woman less likely to doze off on the train than a man because she would be more on guard. I want to see some statistics here! I can imagine more women spraining their ankles. I'd think any man would want to know where to find help--they get attacked too.
I've witnessed two people fainting on tubes, one man and one woman. It's not uncommon in the hectic lifestyle forced on many office workers, to spend an hour in the gym before going to work, skipping breakfast, and then get stuck standing in a stuffy airless carriage. If you watch people closely you can spot when they're about to topple. I think women are more likely to skip breakfast for dieting purposes, so yes, I suspect more women faint than men.

I'm a little suprised they don't suggest carrying a rape-alarm. They are certainly likely to attract attention if they go off.
Cynth wrote:Maybe they know men won't read instructions so they are trying to improve things by at least encouraging the women to eat breakfast and not doze off.
Sexist! :swear: :wink:
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
mukade

Post by mukade »

Oh, those girls and their pink.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

mukade wrote:Image
What's up with that? Is that a safety thing, or some sort of reverse-segregationism?
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

The aforementioned article wrote: In February, police said the number of reported groping incidents on Tokyo trains almost tripled to 2,201 in 2004 from 778 cases in 1996.
That's an appalling number of gropings!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

fearfaoin wrote:
mukade wrote:Image
What's up with that? Is that a safety thing, or some sort of reverse-segregationism?
How about a "no mobile phones or yakking loudly with the person two seats across from you" carriage? London Underground are falling behind, as usual.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Martin Milner wrote:
Cynth wrote:What a strange thing :lol: ! They make a lot of good points, although I think many would apply to men just as well, but whoever designed it certainly does seem to be living in the 50's or something---it seems addressed to some other world entirely. Do women really have more problems? Maybe we do. "A surprising number of people faint during the morning rush hour..."---so I guess more of these unfortunate people are women than men? I have to admit, I am surprised that a surprising number of people are fainting. I would think a woman less likely to doze off on the train than a man because she would be more on guard. I want to see some statistics here! I can imagine more women spraining their ankles. I'd think any man would want to know where to find help--they get attacked too.
I've witnessed two people fainting on tubes, one man and one woman. It's not uncommon in the hectic lifestyle forced on many office workers, to spend an hour in the gym before going to work, skipping breakfast, and then get stuck standing in a stuffy airless carriage. If you watch people closely you can spot when they're about to topple. I think women are more likely to skip breakfast for dieting purposes, so yes, I suspect more women faint than men.

I'm a little suprised they don't suggest carrying a rape-alarm. They are certainly likely to attract attention if they go off.
Cynth wrote:Maybe they know men won't read instructions so they are trying to improve things by at least encouraging the women to eat breakfast and not doze off.
Sexist! :swear: :wink:
I have to say that I have only known women to faint . But I've only witnessed one fainting and the other was me when I was little a couple of times. Your reasoning makes sense though.

About the instructions, I can only say that you are obviously not in possession of a husband!! :lol:
Mukade wrote:Image
See how peacefully these women are sleeping in the Women Only car? That's because they feel safe! I guess having seating for women only does raise questions but, having been groped a few times when I was much younger, I can say it is very appealing. Even with the pink signs. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cynth wrote: ...having been groped a few times when I was much younger, I can say it is very appealing. Even with the pink signs. :lol:
I also find being groped very appealing.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hmmm, so this is how they get those weird quotes from people! :lol: I'd better get a writing expert in here!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Cynth wrote:About the instructions, I can only say that you are obviously not in possession of a husband!! :lol:
Even worse! You're taking your husband's idiosyncrasies and applying them to all men!

Husbandist! :swear: :D
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

From the subject line ("Tube tips for women!"), I thought this thread was going to contain tips about tubal ligation...
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."