Concert Review: Mary Bergin, Joe & Antoinett McKenna

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Funny that in the same thread I should be complimented both for my powers of observation and my powers of non-observation. (Bob, I don't even remember what she was wearing :roll:, but she did pick up Road to Lisdoonvarna fast enough...)
/Bloomfield
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Jens, I suppose you are probably joking, but just in case.... by "blowing out of tune" Mary likely means that she blows too hard, shifting the pitches out of tune. The tape is to adjust the whistles to her blowing preference.
Chris
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Nonono, not joking at all - I definitely got the impression that she believed her whistles went from "in tune" to "out of tune" after having used them for a while. True, it sounds weird, and I believe she also thought so herself.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

On 2002-07-16 03:25, Jens_Hoppe wrote:
Nonono, not joking at all .....
True, it sounds weird, and I believe she also thought so herself.
just to remind you that none of us in the workshop, including your truly, Mr. Hoppe, and her Majesty Mary B were completely detoxicated from the night before on the Copenhagen Irish Festival :grin:

Yours truly,
Jeroen
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

<i>Surely</i> none of us were so intoxicated as to be delusional, although I guess the little pink elephant with the low D who attended the workshop might disagree with me there.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

LOL Well, you could be right Jens. I just remember Joannie Madden saying that one of the reasons she plays O'Riordans is that she blows really hard and that with other whistles they will play out of tune. It sort of jives with what Mary was saying.
My two cents,
Chris
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hmm, this last doesn't make much sense to me Chris as I find O'Riordan's some of the easiest blowing out there - I mean you really can't blow them very hard before they break to the next octave.

Hmm, guess maybe she was comparing them with Generations and the like? Only way that comment would make any sense.....Unless her O'Riordans are different.

Loren
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Loren, I agree with you, however it makes even less sense for a whistle to become out of tune by playing it. Have any of your whistles gone out of tune because you've played them for a couple years? Mine haven't :roll:
Chris
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

My silkstone pvc did. I thought it strange. At the time I posted about it, someone (memory fails) posted a similar "mary bergin claims to blow hers out of tune" comment.
On 2002-07-16 12:54, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
Loren, I agree with you, however it makes even less sense for a whistle to become out of tune by playing it. Have any of your whistles gone out of tune because you've played them for a couple years? Mine haven't :roll:
Chris
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wandering_Whistler on 2002-07-16 20:49 ]</font>
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-07-16 12:54, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
Chris

Well, that Abell set I bought from you sounded much better after I cleaned all the GREEN crap out of the windway (totally disgusting) ....does that count?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loren
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hmmm.... GREEN CRAP? Before I sent it to you it was more of a yellow color. It must have evolved during shipping.
Chris
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Nigella did it.

I don't know about out of tune, but when I get lucky enough to practice for a long period of time, the Burkes just stop working well. I try and de-clog em but they don't sound right. had a mouthful of Dr. Bronner's pepiment soap last nite because the alpro would not play the high B anymore.

My theory was to have two Ds because I knew that might happen. But I find the alpro to be more temperamental while the brass is more stable. But I would be really bothered onstage to not have a functioning whistle after a while.

I think they act differently after they have been heated up. All flute players know to re-tune after a few minutes but if you had a non-tunable whistle, well, you COULD say it had been blown out of tune.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-07-16 15:51, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
Hmmm.... GREEN CRAP? Before I sent it to you it was more of a yellow color. It must have evolved during shipping.
Chris
And all this time I thought it was just left over green beer from St. Paddy's Day......

Loren
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

The Weekenders wrote:
Nigella did it.
So, Weekenders, are you saying that Nigella's cooking made the changes in Dale?

Post by The Weekenders »

Yes and the green crap in the whistle. She did it all, man. She has....powers....

Twisted our young whistlin tyros out of love with the honorably whistling skinny chick in favor of some pot-stirrin hair-spray icon.

Woooooe is me.....