I got my gold belt in karate today

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I got my gold belt in karate today

Post by TelegramSam »

*socks you all in the nose*

:twisted:

Not sure why they call it a "gold" belt though, it just looks yellow to me. :-?
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
carrie

Post by carrie »

*recovers from blow and then says*

WAY TO GO, SAM!!

Carol
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Congratulations.

So, what kyuu does that represent in your school? And what is your school?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

*Alan holds a cold compress against his nose...

Dice goink, Sab! Dads grade!
Alan
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I had a car break down out front of a karate school once. Come to think of it, where haven't I had a car break down.
TelegramSam wrote:Not sure why they call it a "gold" belt though, it just looks yellow to me.
It's because "gold belt" sounds way cooler than "yaller belt."
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm so happy for you! :)

If I were not a chronically ill exhausted pacifist, I would also get my yaller belt and we could battle! :D
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Darwin wrote:Congratulations.

So, what kyuu does that represent in your school? And what is your school?
They didn't really explain the belt system that well to us, so I couldn't tell you exactly. It's the first belt you get tested for. It's just a yellow belt with a single blue stripe at the end.

As for the school, my instructor is affiliated with the American black belt academy but I'm taking it as pys ed credit through the University of Georgia. I took my belt test at the A.B.B.A. this morning though. It was an optional thing for an extra $30, but I figured I might as well do it.

Here's the place, dunno how good they are: http://www.americanblackbelt.org/
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:party:

Happy Slappy Day.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cool! Keep it up.
Karate, evidently, at least begins in the same order as Kung Fu. My 13 year old moved from yellow to blue, but seems to have plateaued for the moment--you will be passing him in no time as he pays more attention to whatever book he carried in with him than memorizing form.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Cranberry wrote:If I were not a chronically ill exhausted pacifist
It's only meant to be used for self-defense, actually. Of course, some people will always use their super powers for evil, but I know you wouldn't. :P

When you get to feeling better, you might want to look and see if there is a martial arts club at your school. It's not as difficult to start into as you might think. I know I'm totally out of shape, but I've gotten better over the semester. It might do you some good. Get a little exercise and discipline anyway.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Do you know that sound that people make when they do a karate move?

I started to write it just now and I realised I don't know how. :oops:

Kheeyah!, mabey? :-? :P
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Cranberry wrote:Do you know that sound that people make when they do a karate move?
For a moment there, I thought Cran was talking about the slapstick sound effects. :lol:

Good on you Sam! Hit me again, and I might have to hit you back. :P :P
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Congrats! Are you planning on sticking with it?

I think the belt order is somewhat random among the various schools. Back when I was still practicing, my Shotokan sensei told us that there were originally just two belt colors: black and white. When instruction was much more one-on-one, that was all that was needed. But when you've got a large class, it's a lot easier to keep track of how much skill/experience people have by color-coding them ("All the gold belts go over there and the green belts over here", etc)

OTOH, he insisted that the story about black belts getting that way because they were never washed (so the longer you'd been training, the darker your belt) was a total fabrication. *I* wasn't going argue it with him. :twisted:
djm

Post by djm »

CranB wrote:Kheeyah!
Whoa! Take it easy there, Cran. You frightened me! :o

Actually, you are pretty close. Its called a "Ki-ai" (a few variations on spelling). From Japanese - Ki = energy. Ai = harmony. The actual vocables used depend on the style, school, language (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.).

When done properly, a ki-ai is a concentrated blast of energy, used as a weapon in itself to throw off an opponent. It can also be used to help focus oneself on an immediate release of energy in one concentrated effort.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

DCrom wrote:Congrats! Are you planning on sticking with it?

I think the belt order is somewhat random among the various schools. Back when I was still practicing, my Shotokan sensei told us that there were originally just two belt colors: black and white. When instruction was much more one-on-one, that was all that was needed. But when you've got a large class, it's a lot easier to keep track of how much skill/experience people have by color-coding them ("All the gold belts go over there and the green belts over here", etc)
Apparently color coding was introduced in Europe and/or the US. Aikido normally has only black and white, but the school I attended in Raleigh had colored belts because many students were teenagers and "The parents expect it."

Cran, you could try mainstream Aikido, in which the ideal is not to cause any physical damage to anyone else. Or, try Tai Chi Ch'uan (Taijiquan), which is often taught strictly as an exercise. It's done very slowly, and is popular with older people. It's supposed to be health-enhancing. At least it's good for your posture and for relaxation. I loved Aikido, because I really enjoyed flying through the air. :D
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe