Are there any recorder players in Wichita? ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Right, I think I'm OK on "dumpster" now. :boggle:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

Jerry Freeman wrote:The thing I find repellant is how this underscores what a throw away society we live in. We have such an excess of things for which millions elsewhere in the world are dying without, and we seem to take this overabundance for granted.
I used to volunteer at a church which put on dinners for the street people in the area. We used to get bagels from one particular bagel shop. They would have been thrown out if we hadn't used them. As it was, we only got them one day a week. We collected garbage sacks full of the things. That was just one day's worth bagelsfrom one shop that were going to be thrown out. I never collected from the grocery stores but it was pretty much the same thing there. Loaves of bread, buns, etc that would be thrown out.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Scott McCallister wrote:So because a coworker of yours sifted through trash for something to eat while attending a conference, it makes it ok? This whole "live-aboard" thing if applied to a landlocked state, like Colorado, would be akin to some guy living in a van down by the river and dumpster diving behind steak houses to get a trash bag full of bones to gnaw on. :really: :puppyeyes:

Repellent in every way. :shock:

Honestly, the worst part about dumpster diving, I imagine would have to be the potential lack of mint sauce. :lol:
I was speaking tongue-in-cheek. It is repellent. It is also unsafe . . . particularly with seafood. I don't want to touch things anybody else has handled, much less eat them--hepatitis is not on my list of must-do activities.

She didn't sift for something to eat while attending a conference--she regularly dug for things in trash cans after people had vacated conference rooms. Drug reps often bring food for doctors, as an inducement to get them to attend their educational presentation. In that instance, it was at least reasonably fresh.

You know how people bring a container of stew or something to work, then forget it's in the fridge? For weeks? For a Thanksgiving potluck, we needed space in the fridge, so we cleaned it. Out went a little container of beef stew that had been in there for at least 6 weeks . . . the meat was iridescent green. Next thing we knew, she was loping off down the hall with it and some moldy cheese. Next day, she showed up with a crockpot of chili in which the beef stew bits were clearly visible . . . squares of iridescent beef and carrots and potatoes . . . and a dish of that moldy cheese which she'd grated.

We were at a loss for what to do. I wanted to put a biohazard sticker on it, but she'd file a complaint--we couldn't "prove" that was the same beef stew, after all. We ended up phoning everyone on the staff to tell them not to eat it. And then, someone had to stand there to casually divert innocent victims who hadn't been notified.

Yes, Jerry, waste is a terrible thing, but the cure for it doesn't lie in eating out of garbage bins, especially when you serve it to the unsuspecting. There is a huge difference between recycling manufactured housing and serving chewed-on, potentially toxic food to others.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

SteveShaw wrote:Right, I think I'm OK on "dumpster" now. :boggle:

Steve
It's a Skip.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

dubhlinn wrote:

Steve
It's a Skip.

Slan,
D.

You know, D., you might not have liked my post, but that's no reason to tell everyone to pass it by. :sniffle:
djm

Post by djm »

JerryF wrote:I'm in the business of making affordable housing out of mobile homes that others don't see the value of reconditioning.
There's a tornado out there somewhere with your name on it. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Lambchop wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:

Steve
It's a Skip.

Slan,
D.

You know, D., you might not have liked my post, but that's no reason to tell everyone to pass it by. :sniffle:

This is a Skip.......two of them, to be sure, to be sure.

Slan,
D. :P
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
carrie

Post by carrie »

SteveK wrote:Not to mention Victrola, a term which is in constant use.
Tell me about it! If I hear ohmyhgod, like, whatever, and Victrola from my teenager one more time I think I'll scream.

Carol
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Dumpster:

Darwin

Post by Darwin »

cskinner wrote:
Tell me about it! If I hear ohmyhgod, like, whatever, and Victrola from my teenager one more time I think I'll scream.
Yeah, and Frigidaire.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Lambchop wrote:
Scott McCallister wrote:So because a coworker of yours sifted through trash for something to eat while attending a conference, it makes it ok? This whole "live-aboard" thing if applied to a landlocked state, like Colorado, would be akin to some guy living in a van down by the river and dumpster diving behind steak houses to get a trash bag full of bones to gnaw on. :really: :puppyeyes:

Repellent in every way. :shock:

Honestly, the worst part about dumpster diving, I imagine would have to be the potential lack of mint sauce. :lol:
I was speaking tongue-in-cheek. It is repellent. It is also unsafe . . . particularly with seafood. I don't want to touch things anybody else has handled, much less eat them--hepatitis is not on my list of must-do activities.

She didn't sift for something to eat while attending a conference--she regularly dug for things in trash cans after people had vacated conference rooms. Drug reps often bring food for doctors, as an inducement to get them to attend their educational presentation. In that instance, it was at least reasonably fresh.

You know how people bring a container of stew or something to work, then forget it's in the fridge? For weeks? For a Thanksgiving potluck, we needed space in the fridge, so we cleaned it. Out went a little container of beef stew that had been in there for at least 6 weeks . . . the meat was iridescent green. Next thing we knew, she was loping off down the hall with it and some moldy cheese. Next day, she showed up with a crockpot of chili in which the beef stew bits were clearly visible . . . squares of iridescent beef and carrots and potatoes . . . and a dish of that moldy cheese which she'd grated.

We were at a loss for what to do. I wanted to put a biohazard sticker on it, but she'd file a complaint--we couldn't "prove" that was the same beef stew, after all. We ended up phoning everyone on the staff to tell them not to eat it. And then, someone had to stand there to casually divert innocent victims who hadn't been notified.

Yes, Jerry, waste is a terrible thing, but the cure for it doesn't lie in eating out of garbage bins, especially when you serve it to the unsuspecting. There is a huge difference between recycling manufactured housing and serving chewed-on, potentially toxic food to others.
Yes!...

Thank you.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

SteveK

Post by SteveK »

cskinner wrote:

Carol
Just get yer hoover and drown them out.

Wait, maybe that's a zampogna-floor model
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Bye, bye folks. I'm done with this thread.

Now I see what you're up to, Lamby.

Best wishes,
Jerry
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

dubhlinn wrote:

Steve
It's a Skip.

Slan,
D.
If they were really skips, round my way you'd find an abandoned car and three double mattresses in 'em every morning. :D

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

cskinner wrote:

Carol
The same thing happened in the UK, with the tradename Gramophone.
Reasonable person
Walden