Are there any recorder players in Wichita? ...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Are there any recorder players in Wichita? ...

Post by Jerry Freeman »

"Man glued to toilet seat sticks to story."

Best wishes,
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

And seat.

If this happens to you (with superglue), nail polish remover is the thing to get unglued.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Like the woman who sat in a bath full of glue - disaster. :D

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

TonyHiggins wrote:
And seat.

If this happens to you (with superglue), nail polish remover is the thing to get unglued.
I can come unglued without the use of nail polish remover. 8)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
djm

Post by djm »

There seems to be altogether too much expertise on this forum regarding glue and toilet seats. :really: The only civlised game for toilet seats is saran wrap (make sure that all weapons and sharp implements have been secured before attempting this on your household).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote:There seems to be altogether too much expertise on this forum regarding glue and toilet seats. :really: The only civlised game for toilet seats is saran wrap (make sure that all weapons and sharp implements have been secured before attempting this on your household).

djm
Transatlantic language block red alert..."saran wrap"...is this clingfilm? :-?

Steve

Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Ayup.

Best wishes,
Jerry
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

SteveShaw wrote:Transatlantic language block red alert..."saran wrap"...is this clingfilm? :-?
I'd answer if only I knew what "clingfilm" was. I'm guessing it's a plastic
"film" that is supposed to "cling" to food containers, thus protecting the
food (though, it mostly just clings to itself). If this is the case, then yes,
clingfilm and saran-wrap is the same thing. "Saran-wrap" is actually a
trademarked name, which we have adopted into generality, like "Xerox"
(photocopier) or "Kleenex" (tissue for blowing one's nose upon)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

fearfaoin wrote:"Saran-wrap" is actually a
And Band-Aid, Ping-Pong, and Dumpster.
Reasonable person
Walden
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Walden wrote:And Band-Aid, Ping-Pong, and Dumpster.
Now, my good man. "Dumpster" huh? Is this (as I hope) some kind of heavy vehicle for dropping off large amorphous loads, or is there a lavatorial connection? :-?

Steve

I have this feeling that I'm going to wish I hadn't asked....

SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Walden wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:"Saran-wrap" is actually a
And Band-Aid, Ping-Pong, and Dumpster.
Not to mention Victrola, a term which is in constant use.

I blame all these glue incidents on these modern high-tech glues. Back in the old days when we put glue on our toilet seats, it wasn't so bad.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

SteveShaw wrote:
Now, my good man. "Dumpster" huh? Is this (as I hope) some kind of heavy vehicle for dropping off large amorphous loads, or is there a lavatorial connection? :-?

Steve

Dumpster is short for Dempster Dumpster, a brand of large garbage bins and collection trucks. "Dumpster" normally refers to just the bin, with the truck being called a Dumpster Truck.
Last edited by jsluder on Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SteveShaw wrote:

Steve

Nah. It's a big, usually green, metal box with a lid. Sits outside. You put all your bagged-up trash into it for storage until a big truck comes around to collect it. Truck has a forklift of sorts with prongs that slide into slots on the dumpster. It up-ends it, dumping the contents into the truck, then clangs it back down on the ground.

Homeless persons occasionally sleep in them, with disastrous results if they fail to wake prior to the arrival of the big truck.

Persons also dig through them for usable items and edible food, an activity termed "dumpster-diving." Yum!

I used to have an aversion to the whole concept of dumpster-diving, before I was enlightened. A woman I work with used to be what's known as a "live-aboard," or a person who lives on a boat of some sort, floating aimlessly around Florida, anchoring just offshore in coves, pulling up to public beaches to bathe in beach showers, and so forth. Kind of a nautical hobo.

Anyway, I had no idea about this until I caught her picking food out of a garbage can after some conference or the other. She explained that dumpster-diving was a great way to live and that, no, you don't actually get sick from eating that stuff. She saved a lot of money that way.

But, I never really understood the magnitude of it until someone told me the story of the time she had been staying with her. Homeowner had arrived home to find a large trash bag full of lobster shells in the refrigerator. Our former hobo had a habit of scavenging dumpsters behind seafood restaurants in search of tidbits. Lobster shells were apparently a choice item, because, as she said, "most people only eat the tails, leaving all the rest." Which she then proceeded to stand over the kitchen sink and dig out of those shells.

So, now you know. Dumpster.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Lambchop wrote:I used to have an aversion to the whole concept of dumpster-diving, before I was enlightened. A woman I work with used to be what's known as a "live-aboard," or a person who lives on a boat of some sort, floating aimlessly around Florida, anchoring just offshore in coves, pulling up to public beaches to bathe in beach showers, and so forth. Kind of a nautical hobo.

Anyway, I had no idea about this until I caught her picking food out of a garbage can after some conference or the other. She explained that dumpster-diving was a great way to live and that, no, you don't actually get sick from eating that stuff. She saved a lot of money that way.

But, I never really understood the magnitude of it until someone told me the story of the time she had been staying with her. Homeowner had arrived home to find a large trash bag full of lobster shells in the refrigerator. Our former hobo had a habit of scavenging dumpsters behind seafood restaurants in search of tidbits. Lobster shells were apparently a choice item, because, as she said, "most people only eat the tails, leaving all the rest." Which she then proceeded to stand over the kitchen sink and dig out of those shells.

So, now you know. Dumpster.
So because a coworker of yours sifted through trash for something to eat while attending a conference, it makes it ok? This whole "live-aboard" thing if applied to a landlocked state, like Colorado, would be akin to some guy living in a van down by the river and dumpster diving behind steak houses to get a trash bag full of bones to gnaw on. :really: :puppyeyes:

Repellent in every way. :shock:

Honestly, the worst part about dumpster diving, I imagine would have to be the potential lack of mint sauce. :lol:
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

The thing I find repellant is how this underscores what a throw away society we live in. We have such an excess of things for which millions elsewhere in the world are dying without, and we seem to take this overabundance for granted.

I have an aversion to letting useful things go to waste, and I admire the woman who has figured out how to get a good meal out of what restaurant goers have rejected.

I'm in the business of making affordable housing out of mobile homes that others don't see the value of reconditioning. You would be amazed what beautiful homes I can create out of what society has rejected. You would be equally amazed at how disgusting some of these homes are before I start to restore them to usefulness. What I do in this regard is very much like dumpster diving.

When I was small, my father was not long home from WWII. If I was fussy at the table, he would scream at me about the Italian children he had seen eating watermelon rinds out of the gutter to keep from starving.

When we first brought Tania home at age four from the orphanage in Russia, the first time she had access to unrestricted food, she gorged herself to the point of throwing up. It had been her experience that you had to eat all that you could stuff in your mouth when it was there because the supply was uncertain. When we brought Ana home from the orphanage in Siberia, she weighed 20 pounds at age three.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.