Sean og Potts' uilleann pipe tutorial

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
o'corragain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sean og Potts' uilleann pipe tutorial

Post by o'corragain »

Hi! I'm new. Does anybody have any thoughts on this cdrom tutorial?
taupe

Post by taupe »

Welcome to the C&F

I use both Heather Clarks "New Approach to Uilleann Pipeing" which comes with a CD as well as Sean Potts CD Tutor - both are very good but for basics prefer Heather Clarks as I find the book is easier to follow.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

As a newbie myself I have shelled out the $$ for the following tutors:
1) H. Clarke (Book & CD) $14
2) MadForTrad CD-Rom (Sean Potts) $35
3) NPU's Video Vol.1 (Video and Insert) $40 for both Vol.1 & Vol.2

When looking at these three tutorials as a newbie I am looking for something very well presented in a slow paced format and most importantly something that is understandable for someone who just picked up the pipes. Just the basics.

Therefore for the $$ nothing on the market compares to the NPU Vol.1 video in my opinion. It is extremely well thought-out and put together in a format which is easy to follow. Its actually like having a instructor right in the room with you going step by step.

My second choice would be the H.Clarke Book and CD although this tutorial to me is hard to keep up with and as a learner I am more a visual person. I learn by seeing something done more than hearing what is being done if this makes sense.

My last choice would be the MadForTrad CD-Rom by Potts. Its a well designed media for a tutorial, but not as easy to follow as NPU Vol. 1 and I actually learned more with the H. Clarke book and CD than I did visualizing this CD-Rom.

Please understand that I also believe that what will work for me might not work for you or others because of our design we think and process information differently, but I think you would be well served the most by getting the NPU Vol. 1 video.

Hope this gives you some insight and best of luck from one newbie to another...... :)
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

That's a nice review, KD.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
anima

Post by anima »

I also had all three, NPU vids, The Clarke book, and the MadforTrad tut.

In my mind the the MadforTrad is the best - you can set the videos to loop and then just play along over and over until you get it. What's more he gives you slow and full speed versions of the tunes. I found it a real pain in the *ss to rewind the NPU video every time I wanted to hear something again. Also Clark doesn't separate out the tunes so it was also difficult to loop, moreover she never slowed down enough for me when I was beginning.

Jeff
billh

Post by billh »

NPU vol 1 is now available in DVD format which solves the 'rewind' problem.
djm

Post by djm »

The Mad4Trad is more suitable to someone who is over the beginner's hurdles. It does not even mention holding the set, getting initial notes to sound, proper bellows technique, etc. You are expected to have all this down before starting this CDROM.

But, if you are passed that beginner's stage, then the Mad4Trad is a good adjunct to what's in NPU Vol 2.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

take a look at Mickcoyne.com-he's got an interesting beginer/intermediate/advance set of tunes
o'corragain

Post by o'corragain »

Hi. Thanks to everyone who responded. I already have Heather Clarke's book and CD, and have read through it. I thought it was very good, but not having a set of pipes yet I haven't put it to the test. I have since ordered Sean Pott's CDROM and am looking forward to its arrival.

David
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Best of luck to you.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song