Why are Some Makers Not Mentioned

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

colomon wrote:No whistle is going to make every player happy.
One other interesting fact I have come across is that within a range of instruments from a particular maker, one may be exceptionally good while one or more of the others is a dog. For example, most know of my extreme dedication to my Bleazey Mopani set:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=bleazey

While they are all VERY good instruments, not every one is a whistle I would pick up every time. The low D is to die for, the High D and the A are very good for my playing style and tastes. At least one of the others has a characteristic that I have been trying to nail down so that I can talk to the maker about it to get it resolved or learn how to play it better. While I am on the subject, I should say the same is true about my Overton set too. I have also read others that say that about O'Riordans.

I think this is one of the factors that control the press some makers get. If you pick up one of the better models from that maker (at least in THAT persons opinion), and no others, your opinion is focussed on the postitive. On the other hand, if you get one of their less well designed models, you will more than likely be swayed to say negative things.

I hope I got my intended point across in this and that I have not rehashed something already discussed. :)
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scheky »

Each person finds what they want in an instrument and that's what's going to be the best whistle for them.

Honestly, I couldn't find better than my Copeland D and Low D whistles. They are the exact thing I look for in a whistle...just the right quality of sound and response.

Of course, when I'm playing airs, the Copeland (High D) doesn't have quite the tone I'm looking for. For airs in high D, it's my run of the mill Oak (7 dollars when i bought it).

Other keys, I have other favorites...mostly I find them to fit right in the middle of the road category. My Burke surprisingly is mostly just for the occasional tune (I keep it in the car).

That said, I'd love a full set of Copelands in every key I could wish for....but that's not going to happen. Still, even if I had it, I'd still use my Water Weasel Low G and A for certain songs and I'd still use that oak for Airs. It's just the right sound for the right songs.

I have a lot of tools, not everything is a nail....what seemed like a nail last month now looks more like a screw.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Why has nobody mentioned the reason that dare not speak its name? Some makes are talked about extensively in private but not in public because people don't want to appear too critical in a public forum. It's more of a case of people warning you off a certain make in a PM or email. It's not that there is constant discussion. (Please don't jump to conclusions about any of the makes mentioned in this thread.)

I don't think this is the main reason why certain makes don't attract attention. I think that, until about 15 years ago, there was no such thing as a high end whistle. Now there are, and I'm only guessing, about 50 makers. I really don't think the market will support that many makers. For a while whistles were really fashionable but things are settling down now. Perhaps there will be a another surge some time soon but it is impossible to predict.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Wombat wrote: I think that, until about 15 years ago, there was no such thing as a high end whistle. Now there are, and I'm only guessing, about 50 makers. I really don't think the market will support that many makers. For a while whistles were really fashionable but things are settling down now. Perhaps there will be a another surge some time soon but it is impossible to predict.
I agree. The Arc of the Post-C&F Whistle Market.
riverman

Why Some Makers Not Mentioned

Post by riverman »

I have been curious about this too.
I have looked at Parkhurst whistles longingly online, but, not seeing an objective review (besides their being "eye candy" which I agree with) I did not dare order one. I am still looking for that review, as I like conical whistles and their flutey sound (like my Clarke original).
I am surprised to hear Burkes talked about this way. I have a brass session, which is medium volume, responsive, in tune, beautiful, brass, wonderful sound, easy in the upper end, and came to me polished like a mirror. What more could anyone want? And did I mention it is made of brass?
I am also surprised at the sympathetic reviews I read of manufactured whistles. On the strength of these reviews I bought two Waltons, a Generation, two Clarke originals and a Meg, and a Feadog. They were all absolutely miserable (except for the Clarkes which I played for four months before my first custom). The others were raspy, vibraty, reedy, buzzy and irritating to my family and my cat! I even tried to "tweak" the Waltons and the Generation according to instructions on Chiff and Fipple, and ALMOST succeeded with the Generation. They both ended up in the trash. I never tried a Susato, but the Clarke was the only decent manufatured whistle I ever found. The Meg sounds toyish, but it's in tune!
I hope I haven't offended. It's possible I just got a batch of bad whistles--but I doubt it. We need to warn new people like myself that manufactured whistles are VERY limited.
And reviewers--you perform a valuable service! Imagine if we all had to try by BUYING!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Congratulations

Re: Why Some Makers Not Mentioned

Post by Congratulations »

riverman wrote:I am also surprised at the sympathetic reviews I read of manufactured whistles. On the strength of these reviews I bought two Waltons, a Generation, two Clarke originals and a Meg, and a Feadog. They were all absolutely miserable.
As has been done by members of this board much more knowledgable than me, I would like to point you here. Scroll to the bottom and listen to the clips, especially Banish Misfortune. This is played on an off-the-shelf Generation C.

These whistles are more difficult, to be sure, to make a good sound with than a high-end whistle, but I would hardly call them "VERY limited." Different, yes. Limiting? Well, I don't think Ms. O'Donohue would say so.

:)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
riverman

To Congragulations

Post by riverman »

Unfortunately, my computer won't play music clips except from one source, so I can't listen. However, I'll take your word for it. Perhaps my problem is that, as a newbie, I play many slower songs, where imperfections would be more evident.
BoneQuint

Re: To Congragulations

Post by BoneQuint »

riverman wrote:Perhaps my problem is that, as a newbie, I play many slower songs, where imperfections would be more evident.
I believe the main problem (and one of the evil causes of WhOA) is that whistles sound very different up close and alone, compared to further away and blended with other instruments. How many people have said they hate Susatos, but then they heard them in a pub or party or whatever and they sounded great? Well, I think I know why. To the player, a cheapie may sound harsh and raspy and maybe hollow or plasticky or whatever. But get three or four feet away, and those harsh edges smooth out and tend to have a charming, old-fashioned sound. Add a few other instruments, and the harshness and subtleties are even more smoothed out, and you get a great soaring, bird-like sound from the cheapies. Microphones also smooth out the harshness.

But even though I know that's true, I like to play whistles that sound good to me playing alone at home. I guess I'm selfish.
Dazzle1

Post by Dazzle1 »

That's a very good point BoneQuint.

Also as a relative newbie I had a Walton I couldn't get on with but after a few months I came back to it and it sounded pretty good( improved playing not the whistle's fault initially), it's now one of my favourites up there with the one Mack Hoover fashioned for me.

The WHoA does rear it's head now and again. :D
D
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I can't think of a single whistle on which I have not received some communication expressing surprise and disappointment at the "hype." Copelands, Overtons, Sindts, Burkes, etc. I guess I bristled a bit at what appeared to be singling out the Burkes in this regard.
norseman

Re: To Congragulations

Post by norseman »

BoneQuint wrote:I believe the main problem (and one of the evil causes of WhOA) is that whistles sound very different up close and alone, compared to further away and blended with other instruments. How many people have said they hate Susatos, but then they heard them in a pub or party or whatever and they sounded great? Well, I think I know why. To the player, a cheapie may sound harsh and raspy and maybe hollow or plasticky or whatever. But get three or four feet away, and those harsh edges smooth out and tend to have a charming, old-fashioned sound. Add a few other instruments, and the harshness and subtleties are even more smoothed out, and you get a great soaring, bird-like sound from the cheapies. Microphones also smooth out the harshness.

But even though I know that's true, I like to play whistles that sound good to me playing alone at home. I guess I'm selfish.
I've noticed the same thing. In the session I play in, I prefer the sound of the other whistlers to my own playing since I'm hearing them from a few feet away. It's also why I generally prefer the sound of the flute when playing alone, but like whistle when listening to other players in the session.

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
riverman

You guys are right

Post by riverman »

I think you guys are right. I didn't mean to offend about manufactured whistles. The sound would blend with other instruments and at distance. I know my family loves to hear MY whistle from a distance!!!
ennistraveler

Post by ennistraveler »

I checked out those makers you mentioned, and found that Tully actually has made a double whistle, with one leg that plays the melody and one that plays a drone (in D). How neat!!!!!!!!!!! He says it requires quite a lot of air, though, but what a cool idea!!
Brother Steve rocks!