The Floridian Storm Outpost

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Re: No relief in sight...

Post by Lambchop »

Tony wrote:It was 80 degrees in the living room at 8am with 70% relative humidity. This is 'sauna' weather right now.
Are y'all from, like, up north somewhere?

According to my flute hygrometer, it's 77F in here right now, and I think it's lovely. Real comfy, in fact.

There's a nice Gulf breeze coming in off the water, too. Clean and sunshine-y.

I was thinking about saunas the other day. Wondering why you never see them here. Really, if you think about it, you just don't hear of people installing them.

It occurred to me that perhaps the heat they generate would counteract the air-conditioning. Or the humidity would cause indoor dampness problems. But, you could always exhaust them outdoors. Hmmm.

And why would you want one, anyway? Well, looks like their purpose is to . . . I don't know what . . . cause sweating? One website said profuse sweating. Seems like a good idea . . . clean out the pores and such. A good sweat would be really good for you, in fact. Who wouldn't want clean pores?

Gee, maybe we should have a sauna or two here. Although, with the humidity, I don't think you'd be successful with the dry kind. They'd be wet no matter what.

Pondering this, I got dressed for work, carefully selecting a cotton knit shell top that wouldn't cling when damp, a cami that only covered the crucial areas so as to prevent show-through without causing further dampness, slacks of a weight that wouldn't cling when damp, passed up nylons for cotton socks, and clogs that I could step out of in my office so they wouldn't stay damp. I curled my hair, using humidity-resistant ultra-hold gel and spray that won't dissolve in water, then went off to work carrying my silk cardigan jacket, sleeves rolled up 3/4 of the way, so that it wouldn't get damp. Turned on the a/c in the car full blast so that my hair would dry out before it straightened in the damp.

And then I realized why we have no need of saunas . . . all we have to do is go outside.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

You Floridians are making me jealous - even with the hurricanes! 2:45 pm, 44 degrees which will probably be the high, and headed for a low of 35. I would much rather be warm. (why can't I generate the hot flashes on demand!)
Charlene
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Charlene wrote:You Floridians are making me jealous - even with the hurricanes!
A sunny day in paradise has its cost however. :D
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:I was thinking about saunas the other day. Wondering why you never see them here. Really, if you think about it, you just don't hear of people installing them.
A sauna is best when you can go out of the sauna into near freezing rain.

Repeat as able...
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I have read that women can be up to five times more sensitive to temperature than men, so perhaps that might at least partially explain why some women can't stand being cold, or stand cold weather. Not all women are like this, of course. Women who are involved in winter sports don't seem to me to be nearly as concerned about the temperature as those who are more sedentary.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Lambchop wrote:
Tony wrote:It was 80 degrees in the living room at 8am with 70% relative humidity. This is 'sauna' weather right now.

According to my flute hygrometer, it's 77F in here right now, and I think it's lovely. Real comfy, in fact.

There's a nice Gulf breeze coming in off the water, too. Clean and sunshine-y.....

Why do you continue to maintain that it's not hot in Miami??
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Tony wrote:
Lambchop wrote:

There's a nice Gulf breeze coming in off the water, too. Clean and sunshine-y.....

Why do you continue to maintain that it's not hot in Miami??
I'm sorry . . . it was mean and heartless of me to do that.

It's 77F/25C with 74% humidity in Miami right now.

It's 76F/24C with 69% humidity here.

I'll admit it . . clearly, it's HOT in Miami.

Quite comfortable here, though. Lovely evening, in fact. Waves splashing against the seawall, the occasional bark and twitter of geckos on their evening rounds, wind rustling in the palm trees, the clank of sailboat rigging . . . just lovely.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Lambchop wrote: I'm sorry . . . it was mean and heartless of me to do that.

It's 77F/25C with 74% humidity in Miami right now.
Apology accepted.
Heartless? Lambchop, I just think you were only going by the numbers. The heat and humidity are so high it's just like summer. I was outside today trimming trees (still) and felt the 10-15mph breezes with the sweat pouring down my face.

It's cool outside right now. Agreed... however it's HOT inside. It rose to 86 degrees inside today (it's 82 now) and thought it was breezy outside, it was miserable inside. Try to work in those conditions.

My neighbors are sitting outside (in the dark) on lawn chairs. I'm the only one on this street with a generator.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Let there be light....
Florida Power & Light.

I'm sure we're paying for this in one way or another...
rh

Post by rh »

there is no end to the walking
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

rh wrote:incoming...

Oh, dear! Where did that come from!

Well, keep your fingers crossed that it stays a tropical storm.

This could just ruin Thanksgiving. Can you imagine? Frozen turkeys thawing everywhere?
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

A thanksgiving tempest??? "Weather" it comes or not, thanksgiving will almost definitely not be cancelled. Its at my uncle's house this year, and he deep fries his turkeys. I'm left making desserts...what if I can't?!??!! Haha...WinnDixie bakery to the rescue!!! (Always think positive thoughts :) )

Note to self: Must inventory leftover storm supplies...