Comparing Chieftans' Albums

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Comparing Chieftans' Albums

Post by OnTheMoor »

I had to exchange a birthday CD so I went to HMV and the only thing I found was The very best of the claddagh years so I grudgingly picked it up expecting the same old (or new) Chieftans. Anyways, I hate to beat a dead horse, but what a difference!

Listening to the first track I figured any second the 3000 piece orchestra would kick in or the tune would morph into somehting infinately faster and jazzier or someone would start rapping. I kept waiting, figuring it would eventually happen considering their tracks are usually at least a couple hours long each, but nothing happened. What a contrast to their newer stuff, I love it. Tubridy makes you wonder what the hell Molloy has been blowing into.

Really shows off their talent, you're not drowning in 'arrangements'.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Chieftains 1 - 4.

That's all.

Well...5 is borderline..after that was sad.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

One's kinda borderline, too.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

s1m0n wrote:One's kinda borderline, too.
Don't know about you Canadian dudes but Borderline has strange connotations where I come from....

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
djm

Post by djm »

Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I haven't listened to all their albums, but I have 11 so far. And the worst album is probably Irish Heartbeat, although there's at least two songs on their I like. The rest on that one is junk, especially Van Morrison singing "She Moved Through the Fair.." Oh God I thought I was gonna die when I heard him sing that... I'd like to hear 1 thru Boneparte's Reteat though, see what they're like. But, so far I don't really have a 'favorite' album from them. Too many good tunes on various albums. One of my more favorite albums is The Best of the Chieftains. Even if it is 7, 8, & 9 put together.. Ah well, I could rambel forever about this, so take it easy,

-Eric
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote:Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9 Number 9

djm
I have No 2 (I love it) and No 9 (getting a bit polished and overly "arranged" though all the playing is superb as you'd expect). I've also wasted money on one or two of their more modern offerings, the worst of which is "Long Black Veil." I have a problem on a lot of their stuff with Moloney's ego showing through a bit too much (I keep thinking "wouldn't that sound good without the pipes?"). If you can accept it for what it is, their album "Another Country" is pretty good, but don't expect too much trad Chieftains!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm

Post by djm »

There is nothing trad about the Chieftains. That was their whole claim to fame - playing trad tunes in a new, non-trad ensemble format. The Chieftains are a good introduction to IrTrad tunes for those of us not raised in the tradition, but don't mistake the way they play as trad. I like albums 1-9, then there's a bunch of crap, then Water From the Well. This is all personal taste, though, so don't come whinging.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote:There is nothing trad about the Chieftains. That was their whole claim to fame - playing trad tunes in a new, non-trad ensemble format. The Chieftains are a good introduction to IrTrad tunes for those of us not raised in the tradition, but don't mistake the way they play as trad. I like albums 1-9, then there's a bunch of crap, then Water From the Well. This is all personal taste, though, so don't come whinging.

djm
I didn't mean to say that the Chieftains were "trad," just that their later albums didn't much sound like the earlier, traditional Chieftains. Loose use of the wordette "trad" by me - sorry.

Steve

Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I think I have Chieftains 1 - 10. Couldn't bring myself to purchase anything after that. Still, those 1st recordings are a good intro to the music. A lot of folks have gotten a lot of mileage out of those recordings.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Music at Matt Malloy's is the best chieftain-associated project, IMO.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

s1m0n wrote:Music at Matt Malloy's is the best chieftain-associated project, IMO.
It's a cracker - a must-have for all aficionados of the music! :)

Steve

Henkersbraut

Post by Henkersbraut »

I have two CDs by them, loved the first one (live at the whatever, with Nancy Griffith), couldn't stand the second one, so I sort of started listening to Silly Wizard instead - never looking back. I'll give them a second chance, then, if I should happen to see an album by them I'll give it a listen.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

1-5 are worth it for me... after that it gets too complicated with other musicians and music for my taste.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:1-5 are worth it for me... after that it gets too complicated with other musicians and music for my taste.
Same as that, with allowances made for the odd subsequent track here and there...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.