Need help with a sheet

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LexAnder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need help with a sheet

Post by LexAnder »

Hello there.
I've started out with my whistle a few days ago, and I'm already facing the first problem...

There is a band I enjoy very much, called "Luar Na Lubre", from Gallicia, Spain. They usually make celtic music, with a touch of traditional, galician music.

After a few clicks I've managed to find a sheet of one of my favourite songs called "Son o ar" (Sound of the wind)... You guys can find this one here:
http://www.luarnalubre.com/saudade/ga/u ... ndoar1.gif

Now my Problem is... I'm using a D whistle, which means that the song turns out completely wrong if I start on "D", like the sheet says. I manage to play a few notes if I start on "E", but can't get any further... So now here is my actual question.

Can anyone of you guys help me to figure out how this song could probably work on a "D" whistle?
I've already tried a few things but it still doesn't sound right to me... Maybe the song isn't playable on a D at all?

Thanks, and bye.

Lex
You may keep errors if you find them.
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

This chart is written in Dm (1 flat is Dm or F, depending). Another clue is to look at the last note of the song - most end, resolve to the tonic - the note that is the key the song is in.
You need to transpose this to the key of Em using 1 sharp - which can be played on your D whistle. Take each note up 1 complete step - you had the right idea by starting on an E instead of the D that is written. Now you have to do this for the entire song. It's really not that hard - D=E, E=F#, F=G and so on. Just get your printed copy of the song and pencil in the notes above what's there. Then play it and memorize it and you won't need that messy chart anymore.

Enjoy!
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

doogieman wrote:This chart is written in Dm (1 flat is Dm or F, depending)....
You need to transpose this to the key of Em using 1 sharp - which can be played on your D whistle.
Once you do this, you can use the same fingerings on a C whistle, and
it will sound the same as the CD!

D whistles play best in the keys of Dmajor, Gmajor, Amajor, Eminor,
Bminor, and their other relative keys. So, if the song has 1, 2,
or 3 sharps it should be pretty doable on a D whistle. Anything else will
be difficult on the D whistle (you'd have to use a lot of half-holing).

Since this song is in Dm, it would be difficult on a D whistle, as you
have found.
LexAnder

Post by LexAnder »

Thanks you two. I will try to put all the notes up by one step, if that doesn't work... Well, at least I know that it shouldn't be too easy with my D whistle. What kind of whistle would you suggest for such songs?
But well, I guess that's not too bad that it requires some work to be playable on mine... At least I get a feeling for what I can actually do with my whistle :)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

LexAnder wrote:What kind of whistle would you suggest for such songs?
a C whistle will play in the keys of Cmajor, Fmajor, Aminor, Dminor, etc.
Basically, if there's no sharps or flats, or only 1 flat in the key signature,
it can be played easily on a C whistle.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

doogieman wrote:You need to transpose this to the key of Em using 1 sharp - which can be played on your D whistle. Take each note up 1 complete step - you had the right idea by starting on an E instead of the D that is written. Now you have to do this for the entire song. It's really not that hard - D=E, E=F#, F=G
Bb=Cnat

Do you know how to play the Cnat note? With only one # you will need to know that. It is played OXXOOO. In other words, leave the top hole uncovered ( O ), cover the next two holes ( X ), and leave the bottom three holes uncovered. You may need to play with fingerings around this one to find exactly the right combination for your whistle, such as OXXXXO or OXXXOX, but this is the standard place to start.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I just took a closer look at the song and noticed something odd. It is in the key of F (or D minor if you will) but all excpt the last B are naturalized!!!!!! Why not notate it in the key of C and accidental the last B, which it is anyway?????? A reasonable explanation will be accepted.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

IDAwHOa wrote:Bb=Cnat
Huh?
Bb = A#
B# = Cnat
Cb = Bnat
... perhaps you meant one of those...?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I thought he just meant that Bflat transposed up to Cnatural. One whole step. To get into the key of Em.

But the part after the edit I don't know the answer to.

LexAnder---This tune is pretty easy to change for your D whistle. Some keys create fingerings that are quite difficult, this one is very do-able. I went to the website of the group you mentioned. It is very nice and it led me to other interesting places.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Cynth wrote:I thought he just meant that Bflat transposed up to Cnatural. One whole step. To get into the key of Em.
OH! That makes more sense. Sorry.

I'm equally stumped by the second question. Why the consistant
accidental? Why not just change the key signature? Perhaps it has to
do with the harmonic nature of the tune (which is not in evidence since
only a melody line is present). I'll have to go home and look up the
guitar chords to see what mode this is supposed to be in.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Sometimes a piece calls for a whistle other than D, for instance if I want to play a piece that's in C using C whistle. I re-write the piece moving all the dots up a step. When I pick up the C whistle and read the dot on the paper that says "d", I play with all fingers down and get a C, which is OK 'cause it was originally a C before I re-wrote it.

I hope that's clear.

This came in really handy for Tam Lin (requires a C whistle) and similar stuff.

you can download free blank sheetmusic at www.blanksheetmusic.net
Denny

Post by Denny »

fearfaoin wrote:
Cynth wrote:I thought he just meant that Bflat transposed up to Cnatural. One whole step. To get into the key of Em.
OH! That makes more sense. Sorry.

I'm equally stumped by the second question. Why the consistant
accidental? Why not just change the key signature? Perhaps it has to
do with the harmonic nature of the tune (which is not in evidence since
only a melody line is present). I'll have to go home and look up the
guitar chords to see what mode this is supposed to be in.
Chords are on the linked .gif

Perhaps indeed. :lol:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Denny wrote:Chords are on the linked .gif
Perhaps indeed. :lol:
I meant, I'd have to go home and look up the chords in Chris Smith's
Celtic Back-up book to determine what mode they belong to. :)

Doesn't look like they belong to a Celtic mode, though. D Dorian would have
Bdim instead of the Bb chord on measure 13, and D Aeolian would have
Gmin instead of Gmaj... Could it be A Phrygian, or Bb Lydian? I think those
modes are pretty common in Spanish/Gallatian music...

I don't like the sound of the Bnat's when I play it, though... maybe the chart
is wrong?

(blasphemy! ... Well, I certainly didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition...
NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition!)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Were you talking to someone in particular or just to yourself? You seemed to veer off there a bit. I don't think any of us are expecting the Spanish Inquisition anytime soon. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:Were you talking to someone in particular or just to yourself? You seemed to veer off there a bit. I don't think any of us are expecting the Spanish Inquisition anytime soon. :lol:
Yes, but I think I sensed the presence of some of them a bit back there . . .
LexAnder

Post by LexAnder »

Ooookay... This is starting to get way to big for me. I don't get the point.
I understand that I need to transpose the whole thing for my D whistle, but everyone seems to have different opinions on this one...

And yes fearfaoin, you're right. The music from Luar Na Lubre has mostly been inspired by the traditional gallician music. That's maybe the reason why the chords don't fit 100% with the celtic ones.

I'm still trying to figure out how to play this song - asked a friend of mine today who plays the piano. Once again, as I started to play with him (started on D) the chords seemed right until a certain point. That's about when the 2nd D appears on the sheet. I just can't get that higher note, not if I start on D or E... Really weird, but well remember... I'm only playing for a week now.

Oh btw: Just if the Inquisition shows up... Check to bring your rosarys along :D