C for yourself

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

C for yourself

Post by Terry McGee »

Well, C for myself actually. I was just remembering the silly alphabet:

A is for 'orses
B fer up
C for yourself
D fer Kate
etc ....

I've been under considerable domestic pressure (by She Who Must Be Accompanied) to extend my range of flute pitches (why do singers not like D?), so when a customer asked me for a C flute, I finally got around to developing one. Mmmm, nice. I'll definitely have one of those too!

So, while my C flute is cooking, my question for those of you who have C flutes, what do you find them useful for? Clearly in accompanying singing, and just as another voice for variety in a concert, but what about tunes? I imagine some Dm tunes could be handled more comfortably than on the D? Any suggestions?

Terry
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

And before you can get a word in "edgeways" (as we say in flute acoustics circles) ...

What keys (if any) do you have fitted to your C flute, and what logic lead to having them fitted?

Terry
Blayne Chastain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

I like the C for giggles... Nice and resonant... Inspires you to play certain tunes that might otherwise not come to you... I wouldn't play one in sessions - more on my own (that is if I had one...)
wolvy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

I want a C flute to play along with my fellow flat set pipers. The key of C is quite a popular flat set key. And at tionols often sessions occur in the key of C. It has that nice flat set mellowness, but the stretch isn't too killer. The fiddlers seem to like dropping down to C, so why not a flute that can play with them?

I'd want a flute in C that could still pull off ornaments. I.e. not be too sluggish. Wadda think? A GLP pitched in C maybe?

- Tom Wolverton
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Okay, call me stupid, but what is wrong with the C foot that lets you go down to the C? With keys already down to that, you should be able to do anything. If you make a C flute, then isn’t it designed to play the tune in C because you did not want to use keys?

Not trying to be a jerk, I just do not understand. At all.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

The odd french canadian tune set in Dm...or F.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

While I don't have a C flute, having one would be insanely useful for playing early music (IE medieval/renaissance) on something other than a recorder.
Okay, call me stupid, but what is wrong with the C foot that lets you go down to the C? With keys already down to that, you should be able to do anything. If you make a C flute, then isn’t it designed to play the tune in C because you did not want to use keys?

All a C flute does is extend the D scale down an extra note. It does NOT transpose the interval (Step/Halfstep) relationship of notes in the D scale.

Regarding playing with C - pipes- to do that on a D flute, you'd need a lot of keys (Pretty much a full complement) but moreover, you'd need to relearn every single tune in your repertoire with a different fingering. But with two flutes, you could just pick up the second one (in C) and use all the fingerings you know and love. MOreover, it would probably be cheaper in the long run. Seems fairly straightforward unless *I* am missing something. . .
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Terry McGee wrote:And before you can get a word in "edgeways" (as we say in flute acoustics circles) ...

What keys (if any) do you have fitted to your C flute, and what logic lead to having them fitted?

Terry
IF I were to get a C flute with keys, I'd get whatever the equivalent of Fnat would be. I find that flattened third to be the most useful accidental, by far. But, you already knew that ;)
OOOXXO
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

McChastain wrote:I like the C for giggles... Nice and resonant... Inspires you to play certain tunes that might otherwise not come to you... I wouldn't play one in sessions - more on my own (that is if I had one...)
Indeed. I decided to make it a bigger bore than a D flute, in order to give a big resonant bottom end. Seems to me that one of the attractions is to have a different, lower voice, rather than the same voice as the D flute pushed a bit further down.

Terry
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

wolvy wrote:I want a C flute to play along with my fellow flat set pipers. The key of C is quite a popular flat set key. And at tionols often sessions occur in the key of C. It has that nice flat set mellowness, but the stretch isn't too killer. The fiddlers seem to like dropping down to C, so why not a flute that can play with them?
Indeed, and I'd rather forgotten the C flat set. I've already done a B to go with a flat set, so between them, that probably covers the most of them. The stretch is a matter of decision by the maker - the wider you make it the more even the response, but at the cost of comfort. I set it more than the D flute and less than the Bb, and I'm happy with both stretch and response.
wolvy wrote:I'd want a flute in C that could still pull off ornaments. I.e. not be too sluggish. Wadda think? A GLP pitched in C maybe?
The Laws of Physics do require a bigger flute to take proportionally more time to stabilise, but I didn't feel I was being hampered playing fast reels up to speed. I'll get a better impression when the poor thing is finished - currently it's half-turned, with rough patches, no rings, no tenon corks, bore unpolished and unoiled. It can only get better!

Terry
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

I.D.10-t wrote:Okay, call me stupid, but what is wrong with the C foot that lets you go down to the C? With keys already down to that, you should be able to do anything. If you make a C flute, then isn’t it designed to play the tune in C because you did not want to use keys?

Nothing at all wrong with a fully keyed D flute running down to C. I think though different people find different approaches more suited to them. There are those who revel in being able to play in all keys on their keyed D flutes, and others who prefer to capitalise on their heavy investment in learning the main scales by using flutes (or whistles) in other keys to do the transposition for them.

I guess the different voice that a bigger bored flute has to offer is also a factor. And indeed, the chirpier response of the Eb flute can be pretty seductive too.

Terry
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Well, this is a very interesting discussion as I am the customer Terry is developing this C flute in response to. I use a C flute in my band mostly to accompany the singers and also for the odd D and A dorian tunes.

Terry, I'm glad to hear about the larger bore which will hopefully lead to a nice sonerous low end. While I'll be playing some jigs and reels on it, the resonant lows are very complementary to song harmonies, which I do frequently.

Clark
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Used a 26mm bore (cylindrical) on my "C" frankenflute. The bottom is wonderful but its only really useful for an octave and a half......(or my fingers are only really.........)
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

clark wrote:Well, this is a very interesting discussion as I am the customer Terry is developing this C flute in response to. I use a C flute in my band mostly to accompany the singers and also for the odd D and A dorian tunes.

Clark
Not to be pedantic, but doesn't A-dorian work on a keyless D-flute via a cross-fingered c-natural?
OOOXXO
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have a very nice CBurns boxwood C.
It's deeper and more sonorous but still
responsive. I play it a lot just because I
like the sound. Also it helps accompany singers.
Also I play along with CDs a good deal
and the C flute is often in tune with them.

Lovely key for a flute.