Lies! All lies!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Lambchop wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:
One of my tea mugs full serves two.

That's all well and good for you to say, but how am I supposed to know the conversion factor for this? Remember, we don't use metric over here.

"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Ah, now Steve, you're just mugging for the camera. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:Ah, now Steve, you're just mugging for the camera. :D

djm
*mugshot*
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Looks very similar in size to the big C&F mug. (No, I'm not referring to Dale.)

Hey, Steve. You mentioned coffee as a fruit, but the beans are just the seeds. The fruity portion is stripped off in processing. http://www.gardfoods.com/coffee/coffee.coffee.htm has some fun stories about it all.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jbarter wrote:Does this mean no-one can actually tell me what the cheese puffs tasted like?
It's sort of like trying to describe the taste of salt. You have to experience it, really, but I'll give it a go all the same for you:

First, they're generally not unlike severed fingers in their shape, and the texture is a light, almost ephemeral sort of crunchy. If you keep them unmolested in your mouth, they eventually melt. This puffy subtrate is usually made from corn (maize) flour, and covered with a powdery, deep orange flavoring agent that gets all over your hands, and anything you handle without first washing will bear the evidence. Your doctor will know what you've been up to, for example. As for the flavor itself, think well-aged cheddar on steroids with some other shadowy cheeses thrown in to broaden the experience.

And like I said, I almost never eat them. Really.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Nanohedron wrote:
Lambchop wrote:
djm wrote: Sorry, but your whole rant sounds a bit silly. Unless you have been living under a rock for the last thirty years, you should know by now that chips, puffs, etc. are all garbage, aptly named "junk food". To sit there knowingly stuffing in junk food and complaining about which parts of the junk are junkier than the rest seems a bit pointless.

If you really cared about what you were eating you wouldn't be eating this stuff in the first place. There is no such thing as an "okay" amount of junk food.

djm

Exactly! Well put, I might add. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Care to join me for a nosh of steamed grains and spring mix salad, Deej? I can do up a bit of wild Alaskan red salmon, too, if you'd like.

And perhaps you could bring some of those chocolate bars from last night? :party:
So you missed the point, too.

I might have . . . what was it, exactly? You were annoyed that food labels were deceptive?

But you'll notice that I'm not the one having to read that sort of deceptive food label, because my foods aren't processed. They just say things like "rice," "hard red wheat," "lettuce," and "wild Alaskan red salmon." Oh, and "mushrooms." Not much to hide in there, I'm afraid.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Lambchop wrote:But you'll notice that I'm not the one having to read that sort of deceptive food label, because my foods aren't processed. They just say things like "rice," "hard red wheat," "lettuce," and "wild Alaskan red salmon." Oh, and "mushrooms."
And "lambchops," and "mint," and ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Good for you, Lambchop. That's the way to go, really.

I'm afraid that I do have such things as prepared spaghetti sauce on hand, but like yourself, I prefer as little tampering as possible, too.

As it happens, I didn't have to read the stuff on the bag. It was my friend's purchase, his treat (bleh), and I was idly curious. Hence this thread.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

and here I thought this was going to be a thread about your socks
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:Oh, and "mushrooms." Not much to hide in there, I'm afraid.
Some guy tried to sell me some "organically grown" mushrooms. He said something about them, sounded something like he grew them in a bin in a silo. Anyway, they sounded interesting, though a bit pricey. Should I send some your way in a plain brown package? :boggle:

djm
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

djm wrote:Some guy tried to sell me some "organically grown" mushrooms.
This made me think of maple syrup. I was at the natural food store, and they were selling organic maple syrup. How on earth do they manage that? Weren't the trees more than likely already there well before they decided to tap them? How can they assure us the maple syrup is organic? I don't get it :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:
Lambchop wrote:Oh, and "mushrooms." Not much to hide in there, I'm afraid.
Some guy tried to sell me some "organically grown" mushrooms. He said something about them, sounded something like he grew them in a bin in a silo. Anyway, they sounded interesting, though a bit pricey. Should I send some your way in a plain brown package? :boggle:

djm
Like Leslie Nielson's "magical medicinal mushrooms" in Men With Brooms?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

izzarina wrote:
djm wrote:Some guy tried to sell me some "organically grown" mushrooms.
This made me think of maple syrup. I was at the natural food store, and they were selling organic maple syrup. How on earth do they manage that? Weren't the trees more than likely already there well before they decided to tap them? How can they assure us the maple syrup is organic? I don't get it :P
Lies! All lies!! :wink:
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Darwin wrote:Looks very similar in size to the big C&F mug. (No, I'm not referring to Dale.)

Hey, Steve. You mentioned coffee as a fruit, but the beans are just the seeds. The fruity portion is stripped off in processing. http://www.gardfoods.com/coffee/coffee.coffee.htm has some fun stories about it all.
I knew that but I wasn't specific enough - I stand corrected!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm

Post by djm »

izz wrote:How on earth do they manage that? Weren't the trees more than likely already there well before they decided to tap them? How can they assure us the maple syrup is organic? I don't get it
Maybe they mean it isn't watered down and then mixed with with artificial fillers. This is done whith lower-grade maple syrup (grade C and D).

People use the term "organic" to mean "all-natural", when it actually means "carbon-based". Since petroleum is carbon-based, doesn't that mean that they can use petroleum based fertilizers and still call their product "organic"?

djm