ireland trip: good news, bad news

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tomcat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

ireland trip: good news, bad news

Post by tomcat »

good news is it looks like i'm going . . . bad news is i have no time to plan the adventure. looks like i'm headed to shannon in a couple of weeks and will have only three nights in the area. what are the must do's?

i had hoped to visit Shanna Quay in Adare, but steve was forced to close. are there other instrument places i must go to?

feel free to contact me via pm or email if you have suggestions . . .

thanks
talimirr743
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by talimirr743 »

Drink some Guinness in the pub!
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
fearfaoin

Re: ireland trip: good news, bad news

Post by fearfaoin »

tomcat wrote:good news is it looks like i'm going . . . bad news is i have no time to plan the adventure. looks like i'm headed to shannon in a couple of weeks and will have only three nights in the area. what are the must do's?
Unfortunately, I didn't go to that part of the island when I was there.
But thesession.org lists a session in Limerick City and one in Adare.
Maybe some folks there would help you find other interesting
music-related doings.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Shanna Quay, unfortunately, is no more. But Adare is still there, and still worth the trip.

Skip the hokey castle thing near the airport, and take a days drive up into Clare, see the Cliffs of Moher, and if you have the time to drive around go up onto the Burren for some awesome geology.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Tyghress wrote:Shanna Quay, unfortunately, is no more. But Adare is still there, and still worth the trip.

Skip the hokey castle thing near the airport, and take a days drive up into Clare, see the Cliffs of Moher, and if you have the time to drive around go up onto the Burren for some awesome geology.
Yep,

I'll second that.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Try Custy's - the shop is worth visiting for instruments, books, CDs, videos, photos - anyone in the shop can tell you 'what's happening'.
http://www.custysmusic.com/
LiamMacGabhainn

Post by LiamMacGabhainn »

Tyghress wrote:Shanna Quay, unfortunately, is no more. But Adare is still there, and still worth the trip.

I was there over the Summer, found the "hokey" castle quite amusing, though to be sure it was "stage" Irish. Touring castles and museums isn't normally my cúppa tae, but since I had the pleasure of meade and a dinner ('s maith, sin!), it wasn't a complete waste. Given time constraints, though, there are surely more important things to see/do.

I did enjoy the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren. Go for it!

Enjoy.
Liam Mac Gabhann
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I was in Shannon and Co. Clare this summer, and I'd have to agree that it would be great for you to take a drive West, and go along the coast up to the Burren. Along the coast is very beautiful in Co. Clare, from the somewhat touristy Kilrush on the south end, though Miltown Malbay, and up to Kinvara right inside Co. Galway next to the Burren is an amazing stretch. It you can do this, I would MORE than recommend it. :)

Also, there's a neat little music shop in Kinvara, but it is small. Oh, and Kinvara is where Kevin Burke used to play a lot.

-Casey 8)
Life is good.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

What happened to Shanna Quay? Not enough business?
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

great suggestions! once again, the whistle community comes to the rescue!
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

No Problem! :P

-Casey 8)
Life is good.
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

If you could get there for next Thursday you could catch this great festival:
http://www.ennistradfestival.com/top_level/festival.asp
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

its killing me . . . i can't get there for this event and i have to be back before flook plays at this event --- http://www.sionna.com/

listen to me . . . i'm complaining -- at least i'm going, right? i'm only there for three nights - but that's better than ye ole poke in the eye . . .
Montana

Post by Montana »

Brian Lee wrote:What happened to Shanna Quay? Not enough business?
No. The owners of the place that they were renting kicked them out. They tried to fight it but to no avail. Then they had no place else to go (this was this past August). He tried to keep the online store going but I guess that proved too much. So they had an everything goes sale and that's all she wrote... :(
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

Cliffs of Mohr is something wonderful to behold. Also, if you get the chance, be sure to take a camera and hit Kylemore Abbey -- it's absolutely picturesque!

I was in Eire for 5 days and only found one session in Dublin and didn't even get a chance to play. ;(