Humphrey Wide or Narrow Bore?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wombat
antispam: No

Humphrey Wide or Narrow Bore?

Post by Wombat »

Apart from the obvious difference between a wide and narrow bore Humphrey high D—the tubes in other keys compatible with them—what are the main differences in playing characteristics between his wide bore and narrow bore whistles?

I was thinking of getting a wide bore in just intonation with an additional C# tube. My only reason for preferring the wide bore to the narrow is that it would be compatible with a C# tube. Are there advantages to getting a narrow bore that ought to make me change my mind?
Kingfisher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kingfisher »

Well , Wombat , I guess it boils down to how badly you need/want a C#. I have both the narrow ( Eb/D ) and wide bore ( D/C ) in the Stealth model and they are both excellent whistles ! The narrow bore gives you the option of an Eb tube. This is the finest Eb that I own ! In fact , Gary's going to be making me another head for the D tube. I'm getting tired of switching them back and forth. lol I don't think you could go wrong ... either way ! IMO

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Thanks Kingfisher. I'll see who else bites of course, but that is reassuring.

The prospect of getting the best Eb around is pretty tempting but I have several wonderful Ebs—Overton, Sindt, Abell and a couple of good Gens—and no C# at all. Since I do recording sessions outside the ITM area, I'm gradually trying to fill in those keys that nobody seems to use for Irish music.
BigDavy

C#

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Wombat

Why don't you try a Syn for your C#. I have the mix and match Syn set and the 2 tubes that I play the most are the Db(or C#) and the B. (Because I like the sound of them).

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

It is what Kingfisher said. I love my D/Eb set, pre-stealth. The Eb is a wonderful whistle. I could never give it up. I would like a couple of lower keys though. If only my rich uncle would shower me with money. I don't think you can go wrong with any Humphreys whistle.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Wombat

Re: C#

Post by Wombat »

BigDavy wrote:Hi Wombat

Why don't you try a Syn for your C#. I have the mix and match Syn set and the 2 tubes that I play the most are the Db(or C#) and the B. (Because I like the sound of them).

David
Hi David,
I've been meaning to get onto Erle for a while now—well over a year. C# was one key, B another and Ab yet another. I have one of his early prototype Syns which he gifted me in the trial phase. He offered to take it back and bring it up to the level of the commercially marketed ones but, in truth, I like the idea of having the original prototype. So, I've been meaning to buy a current Syn D and add the other keys I would like. Thanks for reminding me. :)
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

There's another good option ! I have a Lancewood C that I got off Erle earlier this year. It's also a beautiful whistle with a warm , lovely tone.

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I have the wide bore and Bloomfield has the narrow bore; he played them side by side extensively and would be one to shed light on your question. As I recall, he preferred the narrow bore. I believe the typical minor differences noted were - narrow bore more responsive; wide bore bigger rounder sound.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

PhilO wrote:I have the wide bore and Bloomfield has the narrow bore; he played them side by side extensively and would be one to shed light on your question. As I recall, he preferred the narrow bore. I believe the typical minor differences noted were - narrow bore more responsive; wide bore bigger rounder sound.

Philo
I do prefer the narrow bore. Nicer tone, more responsive, better balance between octaves. The narrow-bore is a special whistle. Always a good idea to discuss this sort of thing with the maker, too.
/Bloomfield
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Bloomfield wrote:
PhilO wrote:I have the wide bore and Bloomfield has the narrow bore; he played them side by side extensively and would be one to shed light on your question. As I recall, he preferred the narrow bore. I believe the typical minor differences noted were - narrow bore more responsive; wide bore bigger rounder sound.

Philo
I do prefer the narrow bore. Nicer tone, more responsive, better balance between octaves. The narrow-bore is a special whistle. Always a good idea to discuss this sort of thing with the maker, too.
Thanks. That's helpful. There really are three issues here. One is the question of bore and I'm certainly inclining towards narrow. The second is tuning. Getting a C# tube is another matter again and perhaps should not be influencing my choice of Humphrey.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Wombat wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:

Philo
Thanks. That's helpful. There really are three issues here. One is the question of bore and I'm certainly inclining towards narrow. The second is tuning. Getting a C# tube is another matter again and perhaps should not be influencing my choice of Humphrey.
If you don't have a Humphrey yet, at least get a narrow-bore D. Trust me. :)

I have a pre-strealth just intoned narrow-bore D and I love it. Great whistle. Whether you are into the just intonation you'll have to figure out, but, boy, does it sound sweet and lovely.

Caveat: I haven't played a stealth model.
/Bloomfield
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

You need both.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.