European Expedition

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flying Cement

European Expedition

Post by Flying Cement »

Hello,
I am a Junior at Northeastern University in Boston, MA, and I will be spending the next semester abroad in Dublin, Ireland. I have heard from many people that RyanAir is a cheap Airline for travelling in Europe. I will be spending ten days in Rome, Florence, and Vatican City for an art history class. Do any of you have any suggestions for where I should go?
It doesn't mean that much to me
To mean that much to you
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Do ya mean where in Europe should you go, or do you mean where should you go to look for cheap flights?
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I think he means where should he go while in Rome, Florence and Vatican City.
djm

Post by djm »

If I were in Rome, Florence, Vatican City, I would go looking to see where they keep the Catholics. :) There must be thousands of art galleries, cathedrals, ancient ruins, and other items of culture to see. Are you interested in seeing paintings, architecture, sculpture, red light districts? Probably a quick scan through some picture books of these cities would give you an idea of what interests you.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Katta

Post by Katta »

I would also just walk through the cities, have a nice cup of expresso (or anything of the like) and just try to get a feel of the city, of the people, because the architecture and everything is so very different from North America (the streets aren't organized in that square-parallel system - or however that's called).
But that's just me, I always prefer to try and see how the people live in that city as opposed to trying to run through as many sights as possible without really "seeing" anything.
(Even though that Cathedral which I don't know the English name of, you know, the one where Michelangelo painted the ceiling is probabyl worth it :wink: ).

Walk through the streets, follow your heart, or your eyes and let the cities surprise you.

Oh, and do carry your money and passport close to your body - after all, these are huge cities.

By the way, don't wanna be a smart ass, but you do know that Vatican City is in Rome, right? The way you put Florence in between Rome and Vatican City just made me wonder...
Last edited by Katta on Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I thought this was going to be a National Lampoon thread....

Really, though, I'm very jealouos! Have fun! It's great to get outside one's own country and live and experience other cultures. :)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Denny

Post by Denny »

Tyler Morris wrote:It's great to get outside one's own country and live and experience other cultures. :)
Other?
:-?

...so we got one?
:wink:
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Denny wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:It's great to get outside one's own country and live and experience other cultures. :)
Other?

...so we got one?
ok, so I was speaking on behalf of a larger community, not just the 'Merican one :P :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Denny wrote:
Other?

...so we got one?
Yes. I've seen the petrie dish.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

jbarter wrote:
Denny wrote:
Other?

...so we got one?
Yes. I've seen the petrie dish.
and a rather sorry bacterial culture we have! :D It's just a mix of everyone else's bacteria from around the world! :P
Denny

Post by Denny »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Denny wrote:
Other?

...so we got one?
ok, so I was speaking on behalf of a larger community, not just the 'Merican one :P :D
For a county with so many...
...we have so many without any!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Denny wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:
Denny wrote: Other?

...so we got one?
Do I get extra points for riming? :o
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Denny wrote:
Denny wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote: ok, so I was speaking on behalf of a larger community, not just the 'Merican one :P :D
Do I get extra points for riming? :o
Only if you spell rhyming correctly. :lol:
Flying Cement

Post by Flying Cement »

Thank you for those of you giving me advice. Sorry if I lacked clarity in my first post. What I meant was, I am going to be taking advantage of the cheap flights in Europe and hopefully doing a good amount of traveling. I have heard the “go to Paris, London, Amsterdam, and Barcelona,” but I was wondering if any Europeans or experienced travelers could maybe suggest a nice place that is not usually thought of as a popular place to visit. Thanks again in advance.
It doesn't mean that much to me
To mean that much to you
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I hear Prague is beautiful in the spring.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing