table manners

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

dubhlinn wrote:
Darwin wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:Doesn't wearing a uniform, 'specially an Army one, make you a sheep anyway?
:cry: Done hurt my feelin's. :cry:
I've always perceived you as the Ram :wink:
Oh, that's OK then. :thumbsup:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Darwin wrote:
Cynth wrote:... just different than if you were eating a brat in the backyard.
:o Here in Texas, we frown on eating children, no matter how badly they misbehave.
That's why you have such a high deliquency rate there, dude.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Actually, one of my very favourite things to eat is lamb chops, cut thin and done briskly on the barbecue. English lamb is by far the best, though I'll eat anything if needs be. Not so keen on that New Zealand muck though. :P I like to pick 'em up and shove 'em in and get my beard all greasy. That makes me feel like I've really eaten. Utensils are in this instance redundant. Can't get at the yummy fatty morsels next to the bone properly with a knife 'n' fork. You need to get in there and gnaw and suck and get the thing twixt your teeth and strip. Yeah. You don't have to watch if you don't want to. Then I'll fight over the little bony bits with my three cats. Heaven.

Going off slightly on a tangent, I don't think that people who want roasted leg of lamb really understand lamb. It's the safe, flavourless option. Too lean. Shoulder (on the bone - must be on the bone), breast, best end of neck, kidneys, and best of all liver. What an incredibly useful beast - nearly up to the level of the pig.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote:I'd be careful about laughing too hard. You know Lamby when she gets riled up!
Aaaack! How did you find those photos! "Operation Lamb Snatch" was supposed to be a secret!

I thought I'd never get out of that place! "Helping Hands" my heinie . . . another day of that so-called petting therapy and . . . well, let's just say that music therapist . . . and God help me if ever I hear another accordion . . . thought we should play a duet and gave me my flute case . . .

The tune rather surprised him.

Mmm, I like that cammy coat! That's a must have!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:o :boggle: Good Lord, is that what happened. I was wondering why I wasn't getting postcards from the little barn. I hope you aren't Wanted Dead or Alive. Thank goodness you have an excuse for wearing a bed sheet!!!!

By the way, you'd better keep an eye on SteveShaw. He seems to prefer English ones, so perhaps as long as he has a good supply....
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote::o :boggle: Good Lord, is that what happened. I was wondering why I wasn't getting postcards from the little barn. I hope you aren't Wanted Dead or Alive. Thank goodness you have an excuse for wearing a bed sheet!!!!
Nah. They never knew what hit them. I didn't have anything loaded yet when Accordion Boy -- nervous wretch that he was -- started shouting about terrorists. The place cleared pretty fast . . .

I, ah, did liberate the rest of the prisoners. Shooed 'em down the road a bit and called a no-kill shelter to come get them.

Oh, and I'm afraid I looted the donation box slightly. But I rather felt they owed it to me. Can you believe they sold my fleece? Apparently, it cleaned up quite nicely--all that jam and syrup came right out--and they sold it to some infernal Topeka knitting society for $250.

Anyway, that nice group of Boy Scouts were waiting outside to take me to the airport. I had enough to fly home in style . . . well, business class, but that was better than the bus.

A good soak in a hot bath with a nice cup of tea, and I was right back to my old self.

By the way, you'd better keep an eye on SteveShaw. He seems to prefer English ones, so perhaps as long as he has a good supply....

I'm not at all concerned about him. I'm a little older than what he would like, I suspect, and tough from all that commando training. Not that I'm not still cute, you understand, but I suspect I'm more lamb than he can handle.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Cynth wrote:I'm not saying ridiculous manners, but just different than if you were eating a brat in the backyard.
This whole "eating a brat" thing... I'm just not getting used to it. Can you take it to the Hansel and Grethel Forum?
Reasonable person
Walden
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

SteveShaw wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:This much controversy on knife / fork use, I wonder what would be said about how the toilet paper roll is wound. Proper European underhanded, or American over hand. :boggle:
"Toilet paper?" Qu'est-ce que ce que ceci? Is it some kind of a girlie thing? Oh, I get it! It's something to read when you're having a sit! But why should it come in a roll...?

Steve
You're still using that toilet brush are ya? That's gotta hurt (but not as much as scrunched up Izal).
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Nanohedron wrote:Not to drag the thread off down a bunny trail, but most Chinese restaurants I've been to in the US have terrible rice.
I'm one American who doesn't care much for when they try to match "American tastes." Well... y'know... I'd be okay if they limited the meats to stuff Americans are comfortable with. If I want American-style food I'll go to Bertha's Cafe, or something. Actually, Betha used to have a great cafe, when I was a child. We ate there all the time. My mother liked the chili.
Reasonable person
Walden
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

jbarter wrote: You're still using that toilet brush are ya? That's gotta hurt (but not as much as scrunched up Izal).
When I worked in a school in London, the toilet roll holders in the Gents had a lock at one end so as to stop you nicking the roll. :lol: Not only that, but every single sheet had "Property of Greater London Council" stamped on it. :lol:

Steve

Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

SteveShaw wrote:When I worked in a school in London, the toilet roll holders in the Gents had a lock at one end so as to stop you nicking the roll. :lol:
Students sticking rolls down the toilet is a big problem in the schools. When my grandfather was working as a janitor (to supplement his meagre income as a country parson) in a high school in southeast Oklahoma, they installed locks on the toilet paper rollers.
Reasonable person
Walden
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Walden wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:When I worked in a school in London, the toilet roll holders in the Gents had a lock at one end so as to stop you nicking the roll. :lol:
Students sticking rolls down the toilet is a big problem in the schools. When my grandfather was working as a janitor (to supplement his meagre income as a country parson) in a high school in southeast Oklahoma, they installed locks on the toilet paper rollers.
Point taken, but this was the teaching staff toilet!! :lol:

Steve

Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

My how this thread has grown.
I'd like to know what the rules are concerning the "courtesy flush".
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm

Post by djm »

Walden wrote:I'm one American who doesn't care much for when they try to match "American tastes."
You'd be surprised how many people go to Chinese restaurants, and then don't want Chinese food. "Whudda ya mean ya don' have French Fries fer Gawdsakes?!?" The Chinese simply adapt to what their customers demand. There is a trick, of course. Ask to see the Chinese menu. If you can't read it, have the server walk you through it. Just make it clear to them that you're feeling adventuresome and want Chinese Chinese food, not pre-frozen supermarket made for Americans Chinese food.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
energy

Post by energy »

There's a 'authentic' Mexican place just down the road from where I work. My boss, who was raised through highschool in Mexico City, attests to the authenticity and eats there often enough to have a rapport with the staff, with whom he communicates in Spanish.

First time I got something there I had him order me some tacos. It was a lovely break from Taco Bell, no cheese, tomatoes or lettuce, but instead some lovely spicey stuff which for the most part I couldn't identify. Quite good. Some time later, I went alone, I ordered the same thing and told them to "put everything on it." To my dismay, they sent me a slightly Mexicanized American taco: softshell, but with all the normal Taco Bell fixings. Now I make sure to indicate that I want my tacos the Mexican way.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6