which whistles have the purest sound?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Hey Ysgwd that's a great point. The combination of fundamentals plus harmonics is what gives character and a pure fundamental is like distilled water.

Now what i wonder is if OBriain would alter the old Feadogs I own, rather than buy a new one... You guys are really making me feel like I am missing something here and SteveP is about to get some eurobusiness.
Gary

Post by Gary »

The Weekenders,

The O'Brian mod is basically the guitar pick blade transplant / filling the cavity with putty or 'sticky-tack' trick. If you're a tweaker(?!) you could make one yourself. I did this to my Mk III Feadog and it's now my primary tooter.

Using a PC oscilloscope reveales the tone secret. On mine, the bottom half of the wave is pure fundamental and the top half is pure second harmonic. Very sweet! I have a Generation C modded this way and it works well, too.

Just my 0.02 megs,
Gary
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks Gar. I wish somebody would take some digital photos of the step-by-step because Peter Laban also mentions narrowing the windway and I am confused if thats horizontal or vertical in nature. I get the filling in part from the main website.
I am ready to try with a little better description.

Also, I bet you could demystify CHIFF as other partials in a certain combo...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-07-12 15:10 ]</font>
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

The Weekenders,
Thanks!
Gary and The Weekenders,
We take whistle obession to a new level. I used to have a nice simple oscilloscope on my mac and now I'm going surfing for one for my pc.
Lisa
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Who you callin obsessed? MOI???

You bet!!!!

"I hate 'working' it takes away from my valuable whistling time."
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

That's the tweak I used for my feadog--guitar pick and putty. Now it's my favorite and the tone has absolutely no chiff. You can't pry my feadog out of my hands.
Curiosity is the mother of ruined whistles.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I bet you weren't holding it when you typed that, though.
Gary

Post by Gary »

------------------------------------------
Who you callin obsessed? MOI???

You bet!!!!

"I hate 'working' it takes away from my valuable whistling time."

---------------------------------------------
That's the tweak I used for my feadog--guitar pick and putty. Now it's my favorite and the tone has absolutely no chiff. You can't pry my feadog out of my hands.

Imagine a visitor on the net, reading this stuff! We sound like a bunch of loons! LOL! I love you people! :lol:

Gary - 'You can always tell a whistler but, you can't tell him much!'
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

On 2002-07-12 11:21, tkelly wrote:
Hi Brian -- I was wondering which Improved you had, brass or nickel. My brass whistles sound very different from the nickel one I have, so I was wnodering which Improved had the pure tone (if there is, as I suspect, a difference).

TIA,
Tery
Hi Tery,

I've got the Brass Feadóg with green mouthpiece, but my next favorite whistle is a Nickle Oak. I like Nickel Generations, but can't stand the brass varieties. Paddy M. makes them sound heavenly though.

If you send me an email, I can fire off a sound file of the improved for you to hear. Just click the mail link at the bottom of my profile.

Bri~
Gary

Post by Gary »

Here's a link to an mp3 of the O'Brian type mod I did to my Feadog Mk.III.

It's the solo portion from my song "In The Shadow Of Your Wings" (C) inspired by Psalm 63:6-7

http://home.earthlink.net/~mould/Shadow.mp3

Gary
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I may have read too fast, but no one has mentioned what I think is the purest tone - as close to crystal clear as makes no difference. Not only that, but it has then easiest second octave response I can imagine.

I refer, of course, to the Silkstone PVC whistle. It's also one of the prettiest.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

Well, I just spend some "quality time" on Clips & Snips -- that really is a great resource. My ear was most pleased with the Rose, which of course I can't afford. I think the Silkstone alloy was next, then the Burkes -- I kept vacillating between the aluminum and brass. Enough of that kind of listening for today! Now I'll go play my Hoover.

Tery

Edited bc it sounds as if I like my Hoover less than the whistles I was listening to tonight. Not true! It's a beautiful-sounding whistle and the low air requirements work for me. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tkelly on 2002-07-13 01:09 ]</font>
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

No, I wasn't holding my feadog when I typed that, but it was sitting there, right in front of the keyboard! I'm such a dork.
Curiosity is the mother of ruined whistles.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-12 14:40, The Weekenders wrote:
Now what i wonder is if OBriain would alter the old Feadogs I own, rather than buy a new one... You guys are really making me feel like I am missing something here and SteveP is about to get some eurobusiness.
You won't be sorry. The O'Briain Feadog is my favorite whistle. And I'm the guy who bought Loren's bird's eye maple Thin Weasel.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On 2002-07-13 10:54, gemm84 wrote:
No, I wasn't holding my feadog when I typed that, but it was sitting there, right in front of the keyboard! I'm such a dork.
Nah, you've just got a security whistle. :grin: