What would you do when...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What would you do when...

Post by eskin »

...the big guy at the table next to the session says...

"Let's hear some Appalachian, lets hear some mountain music..."

http://members.cox.net/eskin4/mountain_music.mp3

Discuss this among youselves... :-)
WhollyCow

Post by WhollyCow »

If you don't have an excessive amount of self-respect, it's quite possible to play Dueling Banjos beween, say, a whistle and a guitar. I have done this. It's a hoot.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Early one morning, about 3:15, I was sitting a top a dryer in a laundromat playing some pseudo Indian raga on Boehm...

In walked this cowboy that looked like he had just found something to kill or at least mop the floor with.

By the time he set down his duffle and was half way across the laundromat I had shifted through a few keys and slid into "Mama Tried"

We had a nice talk while I finished my drying.

I later thanked several deities for the Grateful Dead cover...

:lol:
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

WhollyCow wrote:If you don't have an excessive amount of self-respect, it's quite possible to play Dueling Banjos beween, say, a whistle and a guitar. I have done this. It's a hoot.
I've often wondered how cool this would sound, or even dueling whistles.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

WhollyCow wrote:If you don't have an excessive amount of self-respect, it's quite possible to play Dueling Banjos beween, say, a whistle and a guitar. I have done this. It's a hoot.
That sounds interesting. How about a sound clip?
LexAnder

Post by LexAnder »

As a swiss guy, I really can't immagine what OUR "Mountain music" would sound like played with guitars, whistles and such.
But who knows, I have to try that one day... It could be a blow :D

Edit: I forgot.... Don't listen too often to the sound file... That laughing girl starts to become scary after the 30th time.
You may keep errors if you find them.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: What would you do when...

Post by brewerpaul »

eskin wrote:...the big guy at the table next to the session says...

"Let's hear some Appalachian, lets hear some mountain music..."

-)
I say play some for him! Lots of old-timey or Appalachian is really terrific music, and much of it has Celtic roots anyway. If you can find a session that plays this type of music, check it out. You'll be pleasantly surprised. There's one around here and I love it. The people are really friendly and there are some KILLER fiddle players every week. They all know Irish tunes too, so when it's my turn to start a tune and I come out with Kid on the Mountain or Cooley's, they're right onto it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

If I had a guitar or mandolin I'd play and sing old-timey music for as long as he'd listen. If I had flute or whistle I'm not so sure.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: :lol: That recording is great. I guess if he didn't take to the idea that "that would be a different bar" I would tell the fiddle player to get busy right quick and leave off the ornaments.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

This is what my buddies and I call a "Chicken Wire Experience" (like in The Blues Brothers).
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
WhollyCow

Post by WhollyCow »

Tommy wrote:
That sounds interesting. How about a sound clip?
I don't have one handy. Last time I played the song was with family at Christmas, and I can't duplicate that arrangement of until the semester ends...

I suppose I could record the whistle part as I played it, but those of you who know the song ought to be able to work it out for yourselves. :wink: