The Tao Te Chiff. New Translation by Dale Wisely.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Personally, I feel that in order to show True Commitment to Chiff, newbies should be required to memorize this piece of ... um ... work. (Of course, those of us already here will be "grandfathered in." )

Susan
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Oh, Dale! That was wonderful!

:D
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I simply must protest about Chapter 31. We have many fine Indian, Chinese,Thai, Italian, Greek, French, Mexican, and even American restaurants over here, and in some of them the food is actually-quite-good. We also have restaurants representing the national cuisines of divers other countries, but sadly not in Swindon. I concede we do not have Taco Bell (which must surely be in our favour), though sadly that means we also don't have the TV commercials with the cute talking dog.

Also, there should be a chapter about the cute talking dog.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

GaryKelly wrote:I simply must protest about Chapter 31. We have many fine Indian, Chinese,Thai, Italian, Greek, French, Mexican, and even American restaurants over here, and in some of them the food is actually-quite-good. We also have restaurants representing the national cuisines of divers other countries, but sadly not in Swindon. I concede we do not have Taco Bell (which must surely be in our favour), though sadly that means we also don't have the TV commercials with the cute talking dog.

Also, there should be a chapter about the cute talking dog.

Actually, I liked every meal I ate in London. That's why it pained me to have to translate that line about English food. I have to be faithful to the original manuscripts.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Now I know how a cow at a slaughterhouse feels after being whacked with a sledgehammer by a newbie who doesn't get it quite right. :shock:

Tell Mother I'm coming...
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Dale, I am not an authority on Eastern religions, but I don't believe that your new avatar photo showing the chakras goes with your well-written parody of "The Way" by Lao Tzu. Did you intend for there to be a connection. All of the other graphics on the page look Taoist but not the chakra graphic, IMO. I don't know, maybe I ate too many raw beets today.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Quoth he:
"Do not shine like the precious gem,
but be as dull as a common stone.
And we’re not talking about jim stone.
Although this text looks a little like one of his posts."

:lol: :lol: :lol: Genius, sheer genius!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Brilliant, Grasshoppa!

I hear that The Undisputed ONE will soon be following this work with a divination book called the I Chiff, and a whole new martial art called Tai Chiff....
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Denny

Post by Denny »

brewerpaul wrote:..., and a whole new martial art called Tai Chiff....
...and companion restaurant?
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

The Undisputed wrote: For those who, like the Undisputed,
practice not-playing,
everything will fall into place.
Master, I am struggling with this koan. I have practiced not-playing for so long; yet not one thing has fallen into place, although my wallpaper is falling off the wall, my lawn is covered with fallen leaves, and my retirement portfolio has lately diminished in value. Are these signs that I am near to attaining mastery?
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

brewerpaul wrote:Brilliant, Grasshoppa!

I hear that The Undisputed ONE will soon be following this work with a divination book called the I Chiff, and a whole new martial art called Tai Chiff....
I just cast the I Chiff by knocking over a Scotch tube and spilling my Generations on the floor. As far as I can tell, if I don't win the lottery today, I'll be hit by a truck next Tuesday.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Dale, I am not an authority on Eastern religions, but I don't believe that your new avatar photo showing the chakras goes with your well-written parody of "The Way" by Lao Tzu. Did you intend for there to be a connection. All of the other graphics on the page look Taoist but not the chakra graphic, IMO. I don't know, maybe I ate too many raw beets today.
Yeah, well, you know, East is East.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Doug_Tipple wrote:It reminds me of when I used to attend nudist/health/meditation camps. We would sit in the hot springs and chant until we got hungry for some more raw vegetables.
Hmmm...eating raw vegetables in a nudist camp?!?!? :o

Hmmm....this too shall pass. :twisted:

:lol:

Dale, you got a great sense of humor. Only in a thread you started would someone bring up vegetarian nudist camps!!! :P

--James
djm

Post by djm »

I'm not sure which is funnier: switching to female in a patronising way whenever the text refers to the superior person, or choosing to mock someone else's Bible because you don't think there are any Taoists on the board. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

djm wrote:I'm not sure which is funnier: switching to female in a patronising way whenever the text refers to the superior person, or choosing to mock someone else's Bible because you don't think there are any Taoists on the board. :D

djm
Oh, shut up. I'm working on the New Testament.