I'm hearing voices....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dubhlinn
antispam: No

I'm hearing voices....

Post by dubhlinn »

...and what magnificent voices they are.

A few days ago I was googling up some background on the late Rosa Parks and stumbled onto this site.

MP3 recordings of some of the biggest names in Poetry.
An incredibly emotional reading by Dylan Thomas,Robert Frost (who sounds like a young Tom Waits.) A world weary Auden and the icing on the cake, Willie Yeats himself with an accent that covers three distinct regions of Ireland - sometimes all in the one sentence.
Eliot is there alongside many others, a lot of whom are new to me.

One great discovery was Lucile Clifton whose short reading had me laughing out loud.
A very dear friend of mine tells me that Cliftons poem,though very funny,is only the tip of the iceberg - cliches in a poetry thread..doh! - and that further reading will be very rewarding.
That is my mission for the weekend.

I am thrilled to have found this site and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have.

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Darn! I'm on the reference desk and can't play nothin'! I will have to wait to get home. Thanks for the great link.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Great find, Dubh!

This is going to eat into my schedule, isn't it!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I listened to A Lesson for This Sunday by Derek Walcott and The Hermit Thrush by Amy Clampitt. I guess I have read a bit about each of them at some time or another. I don't read poetry on my own and have rarely heard it read aloud, let alone by the poet, so this was an unusual experience. I felt I could understand a bit of what they were talking about. Very nice website. :)
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

And here I was, entering this thread thinking you were admitting to being a nutter!

Great find!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler Morris wrote:And here I was, entering this thread thinking you were admitting to being a nutter!
No need for Dubh to state the obvious. :twisted:

Thanks for the link, D!
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

It was very groovy to hear Yetas and Thomas. Thanks dub!!! :thumbsup:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:It was very groovy to hear Yetas ...
Thanks JES! It's nice to finally learn the correct plural for Yeti. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I have I think most of Dylan Thomas's recorded poetry in one format or another.

Actually, I think I have multiple copies of his two Caedmon LPs. Do not go gentle is from one of them.

My favorite is his recording of "Among those killed in the Dawn Raid Was a Man Aged One Hundred". the sound quality is awful, and he'd forgotton to put on his phony 'reading voice' (which was an octave lower than his speaking voice, according to his lifelong friend Dan (err, Jones, I think).

But he nails the crescendo at "tell the street on its back he stopped the sun" and "the keys shot from their locks, and rang".

I think I also at one point taped Yeats reading three poems--the lake Isle of Innisfree and I don't recall which else. I wonder where that tape is now.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis