Can anyone recognize this flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RafalK

Can anyone recognize this flute?

Post by RafalK »

Hi
Can anyone recognize this flute? I think about buying it.
Cheers

meemtp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by meemtp »

I'm certainly no expert by any means, but it does resemble a George Ormiston flute I've seen.
Corin
BMFW

Post by BMFW »

meemtp wrote:I'm certainly no expert by any means, but it does resemble a George Ormiston flute I've seen.
I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think the keywork is quite right for him - plus if it was his, it should be fairly prominantly stamped. However, you did better than me because I couldn't even hazzard a guess as to whose it is. I'm fairly sure the CD's are Mel Bay though, who has apparently excelled in music since 1947.

G
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm guessing anonymous German or French flute from the late 1800s/early 1900s.

Eric
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Jayhawk wrote:I'm guessing anonymous German or French flute from the late 1800s/early 1900s.
Eric
I have had an identical flute that I got from Ebay.de a few years ago, so I think JayHawk is right. More likely early 1900s than late 1800s is my guess.
If you check Ebay.de antique and flute sections you will see some of these flutes show up on regular basis.

/MarcusR
Last edited by MarcusR on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Jayhawk wrote:I'm guessing anonymous German or French flute from the late 1800s/early 1900s.
Eric
I would have said a German flute too, except I've never seen one with a short foot joint like that. However, I think I have seen an old French flute with a short foot joint so that might be on the money.

Looks like someone's been messing with the embouchure hole and maybe one of the toneholes as well...and the work on the embouchure hole does not look much like an "improvement."
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Yup !

Looks like a good candidate for a Jon C. tubulation operation !

:D
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I would say a nach Meyer. I have one with the short foot. The keys are virtually identical. Mine has a wooden cap rather then the metal cap, but the shape is even the same. The rings are the same, too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The short foot does seem more French in background, but I nearly bought a german anonymous 4 key flute with a short foot so they do exist (I think they were export flutes sold by Sears and other US companies).

That embouchure hole does looks suspicious. My first thougth was it was a box shape (which had me thinking german), but maybe it has been messed with instead of coming that way.

Eric
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Hmm- Doesn't look like my old German band flute. There isn't that funny key where the arm of one goes around the pad of another, but if they did make 'em with fewer keys, that would explain it...
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

This eBay one is very similar.
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Matt_Paris wrote:This eBay one is very similar.
I don't think the short foot is especially french... In the first part of the 19c, french simple system flutes are in general 5 keys with short foot, but I never saw one with an integral one. In the second part of 19c, they are in general 8 keys, like germans... The angled G# looks very german. Maybe a low-end german?

Sometimes too, flutes with features coming from different countries are american :)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

BMFW wrote: <snip>I'm fairly sure the CD's are Mel Bay though, who has apparently excelled in music since 1947.

G
:lol:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the nach Meyer camp, but I'm so green at this. I notice it has more of the conical bump at the barrel, interesting.

It definitely doesn't look like the Ormiston I have, although the post mounts and short foot are there .....
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'd take a good luck at the embouchure hole before I bought it.

It seems quite large and the shape is a little odd--I think it's been messed with.

--James

P.S. take a good luck at the tone hole for L3 (by the G# key). I can't see it clearly in the photo but there is something very odd about that tone hole.