So what's on your refrigerator?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

hans wrote:fascinating!
this is so American!

"Top...whatever I don't want the wife to move... "
this had me puzzled.....till
this must be a really BIG fridge, I mean TALL
It is not excessively large by American standards...
We did had 6 kids and at least that many strays around when we got it. :lol:
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Think of a coffin standing on end, more or less, only deeper.

Religious magnets are miniture versions of paintings or icons of Jesus, Mary, etc. I'm thinking they come in the mail with requests for donations to various charities, monasteries, etc.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Made me go and take inventory:

Magnets on front:
Butterfly
Hippo head holding daughter's class schedule
poison center 800 number
Picture frame w/my daughter, also 3 friends stuck around it
snowman thermometer
2 more picture frames w/daughter's friends
wooden heart
Mrs. Butterworth syrup bottle replica
sheriff's phone numbers
wooden hippo
picture frame with an old picture of me as a child
credit card ad
got milk?
county public works numbers
Spokane showing the pavilion and the clock tower
Wisconsin smiley face
more pictures of my daughter and her friends
picture of my husband
mini gold pan w/flecks of gold from Carson City, Nevada
family reunion magnet
sign w/an airplane that says "no smoking in the hangar or ramp area" holding grocery list
car shaped magnet advertising a defunct bank holding another picture of one of my daughter's friends
bear with a t-shirt that says Washington with magnets in all 4 feet
round wooden magnet with cattails burned on it holding school phone list
seagulls and sunshine magnet from Ocean Shores, Washington holding a cartoon about a dog and a squirrel
plastic hippo that says "taste makes waist" holding up the school band concert schedule
2005 calendar

On side:
listing what to do to prevent heartburn
a clip holding a plastic bag holder shaped like a lady with a full skirt - you stuff the empty bags in her skirt.

No room on top as there is a cabinet above with only about 1/4 inch clearance.

My husband collects hippos. I collect unicorns, but all my unicorn magnets are on the metal cover over the fuse box.
Charlene
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Let's see,

top - a dusty bag full of cough drops from... ummm... 2003... (lofted to trash, thanks!) a pair of less-than-steller-brightness flashlights, two bags of chips as yet unopened (just bought today), several coffee mugs and two glasses, still in use (up there so the ever evasive but often overzealous dishwasher won't put them into the machine too soon), a large bottle of bubbles, an old wipes box recycled as a repository for batteries and scizzors, and a Christmas Cactus... oh, and a very large and tacky souvenier cup from the zoo (too large to put in the cabinet, and too expensive to just throw out) ...

front - a wide variety of magnets (from word game stuff to picture frame type, to cutesy little resin bears, glow in the dark skulls, and googly eyeballs, as well as dull old grey just plain magnet-y magnets) holding a variety of photos (old pics of our kids and nieces and nephews) and drawings, receipts, and reminders (long forgotten)...

counter side - another wide variety of magnets, including a very lifelike miniature appatasaurus, a large round plastic covered disc magnet with a bunch of little bitty metal stars and moons for stacking and stretching, some more old photos of family (seen only *in* photos, not in recent years face to face), baby announcements, and more drawings, painings and little quotes...

entry door side - yet more varied magnets, receipts, coupons and photos... but only from the mid point in height up, as the lower portion is blocked by the hat and glove basket, and the two pair boot landing beneath that.

And... on the inside edge of the lower door is taped a plastic milk bottle lid, in order to raise the impact point of the little switch that is supposed to turn off the interior light when you close the door.

Not to mention assorted small spots and splashes from whatever most recently got splooshed or splashed in that general area.

Hey.. you asked!
Last edited by anniemcu on Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Happily there is no longer any room for anything literally ON my fridge. Our new kitchen cabinets were made as deep as the thing just so I could not set anything ON the fridge.

Otherwise the side has a cartoon I clipped out of the paper many years ago and it is very appropriate for this season. I tried to find it online but my description will have to do-

Two worried looking bird hunters are surrounded by small birds circling them on the ground. The small birds are wearing black hooded cassock type garments. The caption reads- Ernie and Doug stumble upon a coven of quail.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

izzarina wrote:right this second? Hmmm......a few kiddie pictures that my wee ones colored for me. Magnets, obviously, to hold said pictures up (couple of religious type ones, but mostly just regular ones. Oh! And a Guinness one). And on top...besides dust, I have no idea. Scary thought in of itself :lol:
Gee, izz... we're LLTs even on our fridges. I have a few kiddie pictures, magnets to hold them up (including a couple of spiritual type ones, just a slightly different flavor ;))... and a GUINNESS ONE! ::twilight zone music swells::
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

... some sticky, brownish/yellow goo.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Denny wrote:
hans wrote:fascinating!
this is so American!

"Top...whatever I don't want the wife to move... "
this had me puzzled.....till
It is not excessively large by American standards...
We did had 6 kids and at least that many strays around when we got it. :lol:
73 cm x 73 cm x 167 cm

Americans, typically, do not shop daily. We shop once a week, or even less frequently, and often buy large quantities.

Besides, we keep everything in the fridge--they're not just to store the odd bit of bacon and smidge of cream overnight. They're a sort of refrigerated pantry. If we didn't keep everything in there, wild animals would break in and carry them off.

Products often carry instructions to "store in a cool, dry place." There aren't any of those here.

If you live near the arctic circle, which is anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line, you may not truly comprehend this. A loaf of bread sitting on a countertop here can be a green mass in 24 hours. Butter becomes a liquid within minutes. Custard separates. It's actually a challenge to get cooked food into the refrigerator fast enough to prevent spoilage--it won't cool off quickly enough. Either you put it in too hot and it heats up everything in the fridge, or you leave it out to cool and it turns toxic.

Joseph said he had "... some sticky, brownish/yellow goo" on his fridge. Yesterday, it was probably a banana.

A poor soul I work with went home one day to find a family of raccoons had broken her kitchen window and were foraging in her cabinets. Another has a squirrel that lets himself in by chewing through window frames . . . he has a fondness for pastry. A neighbor's husband left back door open during nice weather . . . she found a great white heron in her kitchen wolfing the chicken fillets she'd just laid out for dinner. And with a rapier-like beak the length of her arm, she was inclined to let him continue.

Nothing on top of mine . . . at 2 cm taller than I am, it's too high to be useful. The back half isn't useful anyway, because it is underneath a wall cabinet. But, sometimes there is one of these (in reddish-orange):

Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Lambchop wrote: 73 cm x 73 cm x 167 cm

Americans, typically, do not shop daily. We shop once a week, or even less frequently, and often buy large quantities.

Besides, we keep everything in the fridge--they're not just to store the odd bit of bacon and smidge of cream overnight. They're a sort of refrigerated pantry. If we didn't keep everything in there, wild animals would break in and carry them off.

If you live near the arctic circle, which is anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line, you may not truly comprehend this.

A poor soul I work with went home one day to find a family of raccoons had broken her kitchen window and were foraging in her cabinets. Another has a squirrel that lets himself in by chewing through window frames . . . he has a fondness for pastry. A neighbor's husband left back door open during nice weather . . . she found a great white heron in her kitchen wolfing the chicken fillets she'd just laid out for dinner. And with a rapier-like beak the length of her arm, she was inclined to let him continue.
I'd like to clarify that we in the arctic regions do not put everything in the refrigerator. It's neither hot enough nor are the predators so predatory. And our bugs are small and die in the winter.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm

Post by djm »

Hmmm, haven't looked up there in a couple of years .... must speak to the maid about this ... some cook books I never use, some books on healthy eating I never read, appliance manuals, spider webs, dust bunnies, a general greasy brown haze over everything, and ... Whuzzat??? It moved! .... Its ...... ITS ...... AAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH! Its JES!!!!

(just kidding, guy)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

About two dozen empty wine bottles awaiting recycling. I've got to go to the bottle bank soon coz I'm running out of room up there.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
missy

Post by missy »

as to on TOP of the fridge (or on top of any large appliance, on top of the china closet, top shelves of closets, or high cabinets) I have NO idea. I'm vertically challenged (5'4") and Tom is 5'11" - so he can hide whatever he wants up there and I'll never see it!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

missy wrote:as to on TOP of the fridge (or on top of any large appliance, on top of the china closet, top shelves of closets, or high cabinets) I have NO idea. I'm vertically challenged (5'4") and Tom is 5'11" - so he can hide whatever he wants up there and I'll never see it!
Denny wrote:...whatever I don't want the wife to move...
See? :lol:
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

On my mother's refrigerator, in large letters, is scrawled "Save Our Saints." That's it, except for the duct tape.

It's still sitting in the front yard after the 9 weeks since Hurricane Katrina.

It was interesting to see all the messages on the refrigerators in New Orleans. I hope someone does a photo essay someday. They've been used as personal/political whiteboards.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nothing but smudges unfortunately. It's made of stainless steel and is not magnetic.