Calling All Current/Former Burns, Jon C., & McGee Owners

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Calling All Current/Former Burns, Jon C., & McGee Owners

Post by dow »

PLEASE NOTE: It has been brought to my attention that by asking for this information about different makers' flutes, that I might be putting some folks in an uncomfortable position of saying that maker A's flute is "better" than maker B's flute. I certainly don't want anybody to be uncomfortable, nor do I want people to NOT answer my questions because of this. This should not be construed as being a "My flute's better than your flute cause my maker is Mr. So-and-so," thread. I'm sure that all three of the makers that I'm considering are fine builders who turn out (pardon the pun) a fine instrument. With that in mind, please confine future comments to PM if you don't mind. Any opinions that you care to share will be kept in the strictest confidence. By the way, I'm learning a lot from this little exercise, so keep em coming! Umm, err, just by PM if you don't mind.

I'm trying to determine what kind of wood flute to buy, and have narrowed my makers list down to Casey Burns, Jon C., and Terry McGee. I'll be buying a keyless flute, as money concerns and playing experience don't warrant the extra cost of keys at this time. So if you've got a minute, I'd like to solicit your opinions. Here's what I'm after:

1. Maker
2. Which model you own
3. Keyed or keyless
4. Type of embouchure
5. Type of wood
6. Tuning slide?
7. Type of head
8. Type of foot
9. What you like best about it
10. What you'd change about it
11. How would you characterize its voice?
12. Any other thoughts that you may have.

If you happen to own flutes by more than one of these makers, could you possibly try to compare and contrast them?

Thanks for taking the time to fill this out. I’ve come to respect the opinions of many of the members on this board, and your experience and consideration will probably have a considerable impact on my final decision.

EDIT: If it helps, please take into account that my point of reference at this time is my Tipple D. (Thanks again, Doug for a great instrument!)
Last edited by dow on Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Hi Dow,

If you use the search function, I think you will find considerable information on all the makers you list.

I happen to very much like McGee flutes. I've had two, a 4 key Rudall-Carte blackwood and my favorite. a Gidgee keyless with no tuning slide. The keyless is very lightweight and effortless to play.

Cheers,

Michael
dow

Post by dow »

eskin wrote:Hi Dow,

If you use the search function, I think you will find considerable information on all the makers you list.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks for the tip, Michael. I've used the search function ad nauseum, but thought that this approach might help centralize the information a little bit, and might also give me more of a side-by-side comparison of folks' opinions.

Thanks for responding as well.

Does the Gidgee have that MDT that he's making now? If so, what do you think of that?
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I really can't fault my McGee Pratten; there a couple of tone refinements I'd like to make but alas, I think that has to do with the player ;-). As far as his other models go, I've only played the Rudall 5088, which was lovely, and the GLP -- which was just a blast. Quick, responsive, and lots of fun in the turns!

I've only played a couple of Casey's flutes and those for a very short time. But they seemed like nice, solid, well-behaved instruments and excellent value for the dollar.

There's what I know. Not much, admittedly (and I find I know less every day), but good luck!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I've played the Jon C. and the Casey Burns flutes before. I've tried just about all of Jon's flutes (Large holed Rudall, Pratten's small holed Rudalls etc.) and I've played many of Casey Burns' flutes (folk flute, blackwood keyless Rudallish flute), but I have never played a McGee. I really respect the guy and he has definately "done his homework"....thats an understatement.

This is what I currently own:

1. Cochran Flute
2. small/medium holed Rudall
3. keyless (thats only what he has officially right now, working on the keys)
4. mostly round, slightly boxy
5. blackwood
6. Hide-away tuning slide (Copley style)
7. partially lined
8. Long Foot
9. The best belltone of any flute I've ever played (it can really buzz)
10. I'd like keys on mine (anytime Jon?)
11. The way blackwood Rudalls should sound, a wealth of different kinds of textures and tones at your fingertips (literally)
12. Give him a call he is a nice guy and is learning from some of the great makers. I don't think I will ever want another flute (this gets confirmed every time I play someone elses flute: Hammy, Doyle, Rod Cameron, Burns, Olwell). Plus, he really adds some great aesthetics to his flutes.
Last edited by michael_coleman on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frchristo

Post by frchristo »

I have a Burns standard that I recieved at the end of September. Here's the breakdown:

1. Casey Burns
2. "Standard"
3. keyless
4. Oval
5. Mopane
6. Tuning slide
7. Partially lined
8. D/short foot
9. Wide sonic palatte /visually beautiful
10. Nothing so far
11. It can be both loud and reedy or quiet and round
12. This kind of list is always interesting but probably of little practical value. Any fine wooden flutemaker will be willing and able to make a flute that meets your particular tastes. I live a few miles from Casey and that was part of my decision to choose one his flutes. He is widely regarded as an excellent flute maker and, given that, it was nice to be able to support someone local. Also, it was easy for me to try a few different models.

With each model he was able tell me all the things that were variable; the things he could adjust based on my playing style and what I liked. He was extremely helpful. Now I have a flute that I absolutely love. The break-in period has been torture. I never want to put it down. So, put a check in Casey's column for me.

Good luck with your research.
Henke

Post by Henke »

I'll be in a great possition to answer this about both McGee and Jon C in a while (tour flutes). Don't know how long it'll take, but the McGee should arrive here pretty soon, maybe next week or so. Then the Jon C flute. I'll be playing them for a good while before I'll write anything about them though.
Hmm, came to think of it. Maybe I should give each flute a week or so when I just play that particular flute, playing two new flutes and try to figure them out in the relatively short amount of time I'll get to keep them might screw up my embouchure. Anyway, we'll se how it goes.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

You may have mentioned before, Henke, but which McGee model are you getting? Curious lefty MERR users want to know!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Wormdiet wrote:You may have mentioned before, Henke, but which McGee model are you getting? Curious lefty MERR users want to know!
Not sure which model it is. I'm not buying a McGee, mind you. It's the Europe RAF. If you're concerned about lefty playability and plan to get a McGee, just write him about it, I'm sure he can make one to fit just you.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Henke wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:You may have mentioned before, Henke, but which McGee model are you getting? Curious lefty MERR users want to know!
Not sure which model it is. I'm not buying a McGee, mind you. It's the Europe RAF. If you're concerned about lefty playability and plan to get a McGee, just write him about it, I'm sure he can make one to fit just you.
I actually have something on order with him already, I was just curious what your story was ;)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

I have played quite a large number of flutes over the past few years by all the great makers, but i find Mike Grinters flutes to have everything one really would want in a wooden flute, great tone, great responce (but not too direct)
does'nt need a large amount of air supply, has as much power as you want from a wooden flute, actually a better flute than some rudalls i have played,
great flute if you want to be heard over accordions in a sessiun.
dow

Post by dow »

Thanks for all the great input. I've got a lot to think about and consider what with the responses I got here and via PM.

Thanks again!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX