Who is on Rogge waiting list.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Fergmaun
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Who is on Rogge waiting list.

Post by Fergmaun »

I am on Andreas Rogge waiting listing for a Lefthanded C Plumwood Brass/boxwood 4 keys and Drones/regs/bag in D Plumwood Brass/boxwood.

When I took Skip Cleavinger place in January 2005 he told me he placed an order in January 2004 and that the pipes should be ready in approximately two years,based on the waiting period given to him by Jens. I was hoping that the pipes would be ready in January 2007

I emailed Andreas Rogge to see if any of my order was ready and got relpy for Jens saying.

Fergus,
I don't have a precise date and from what I can see in or ordering book it
might well take more than two years from now on.
We are pretty much behind our original plan partly because of Andreas health
problems, partly because the amount of repair- and reedwork is getting
bigger and bigger. We are right now in a position to provide service for
about 2000 instruments while fulfilling orders.

thanks

Jens

Andreas Rogge
Westbahnhofstr. 60
72070 Tübingen
07071 / 43679
www.uilleann-pipes.de
So who is on Rogge waiting list for D or Flats sets and how long on waiting list but did you get approximate date when ready.

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I think that expecting a pipemaker to be spot on time is an exercise in futility. There are a ton of variables involved with getting the work done that there is no way anyone can be accurate with dilivery time... and considering Mr. Rogge has such a sizeable list of pipes made and in need of reeding and modification, I feel that patience is required.

Sorry to hear of his poor health issues, I wish him well.
ChristianRo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChristianRo »

Joseph, your are right. Andreas is a gentle and helpful person and a brilliant pipemaker, but I soon gave up pressing him on delivery dates. There is so much going on in a pipemaker's workshop: People dropping in, the phone is ringing permanently. Everyone claims the right to be instantly served. Sometimes it is better to just leave these craftsmen alone (yes, I plead guilty for impatience myself). I heard Andreas is suffering from CTS but I think there is no need for rumors to spread. I am going to see him at a tionol this weekend where he will be doctoring pipes.
Christian
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Hi Fergus,

I'd say your set will be worth the wait, however long it takes. A friend of mine here just got a B set from Rogge in plumwood, and it sounds great and is so easy to play. The wood is very light and the chanter feels a lot more comfortable to me than my D set, which surprises me since I would have thought a B chanter would be too big for someone with small hands.
I believe my friend had been waiting 4 or 5 years.

Justine
Scott McCallister

Post by Scott McCallister »

A few Rogge Sets have shown up in the Denver area recently. The most recent was a blackwood/ebony full set in D with boxwood mounts. It took 4 years. But they sure are nice!
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

i asked about boxwood fullset without bellows and chanter..just 4years delivery.
Roy Becker

Andreas' waiting list

Post by Roy Becker »

I ordered from Andreas a full C-set 3 years ago, with a notice of 2-years delivery time. As the end of the second year approached, I got in touch with them. They were ever so kind to send me a new bag (my old bag had got punctured), but the whole set, they set, would be ready only by the end of 2005, as a result of the delay for the reasons we all know. This date is approaching, and we'll see if it is indeed going to be ready. They did tell me, though, that their waiting list today is 4-years long.
Standing for one's time delivery promises seems to vary from one maker to another. I had some nasty experience with a maker from Aughrim, Co. Wicklow, who is a member of NPU board and a reputable reed maker, who promised a fully keyed D-chanter in 4 weeks, got all the money in hand, cash, and it took him 16 months, yes, a year and 4 month, to deliver the chanter. On the other hand, I have a pupil who participated in mass ordering of practice sets from Raye Sloan, received a delivery time notification of 9 months, and got his set in 5 months!!! Whenever there is a contract on made-to-order goods delivery, there is a delay, be it uilleann pipes or software product, and on-time delivery miracles are rare.
Andreas is probably far from worst in this regard, and, hey, the man is a master. If you ordered from Andreas, it's probably not your first set, so you shouldn't have anything to obstruct you from piping in the meantime.
The important thing is that, once the set is ready, you have it CHECKED by a piping master, in order to make sure that the over-long waiting, and the huge amount of money, were worth it, and that you got the best that a maker like Andreas can make. In case of full sets, this is most crucial with regard to regulators.
Please write in length, I am a tough reeder.
Fergmaun

Post by Fergmaun »

I noticed on Andreas Rogge website www.uilleann-pipes.de this prices and VAT will change this month.

So I sent an email to Andreas Rogge on Wednesday 3 Jan 2007 about not getting invoice from him that i but only got an email listing the prices on Tuesday 7 December 2004 From Jens

I got email reply today Friday
Hi Fergus,
happy New Year to you.

I suppose you want the ordering confirmation?
I attached it as a pdf file.
Please note that the German VAT has risen to 19% this month.

Best regards

Jens
I sent another email reply about
when do you think my order will be ready
and the reply email was
Hi Fergus,

it is to early to have a precise date and w are planning to employ
another guy here in the shop but I'd say at least another year to
go.

All the Best

Jens
So taking Skip Cleavinger placed in January 2005 I have skipped a year from January 2004.

Now the pipes should be ready in 2008 and that would be about 4 years been on Rogge waiting list

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Joseph E. Smith

No offense Fergus, but that may be expecting a bit more than what may really be there. Just my 2 cents worth.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Fergus - didn't you recently sell a Rogge C set?
PJ
phcook

Post by phcook »

I don't understand why UP makers should be forgiven for not being able to give an approximative (1 or 2 moths) date for delivery.

You would at least expect that as a mark of respect for the customer in any other job.

Makers, as other people, can imagine how it takes to make an instrument, and can plan efficiencely their waiting list.

I wish I coul behave the same way with my own customers!

Best wishes, and happy new year (bloavez mad in Breton)
Breizh soner
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

phcook wrote:I don't understand why UP makers should be forgiven for not being able to give an approximative (1 or 2 moths) date for delivery.

You would at least expect that as a mark of respect for the customer in any other job.

Makers, as other people, can imagine how it takes to make an instrument, and can plan efficiencely their waiting list.

I wish I coul behave the same way with my own customers!
With respect, I think that instrument making is a special case. You're not talking about mass production. Demand changes from year to year. Certainly recent years have been good for makers (in comparison to earlier years) but it is still essentially a personal services business. A bad flu (grippe) will put anyone out of work for a week or two.

It's not like ordering a consumer product from Radio Shack. It's much more personal than that. If the pipemaker is unable to work for a period of time, whatever the reason, he or she can't just refer you to another pipemaker.
PJ
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Ida thought its very simple really...
offer the maker double the money and you can get it in 3 months!
I ordered a B set some time ago...I don't bother trying to remember the dates any more...waiting list WAS 3 years and since then it has gone up to 4 yrs.
Whatever, as long as the things sing like an angel when they (eventually) get here, then that'll do.
Meantime I'll just get on with life in Concert Pitch :o

B
Joseph E. Smith

boyd wrote:... life in Concert Pitch :o

B
... that would make a fine tune title. :D