Of possible interest to Bach lovers

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Of possible interest to Bach lovers

Post by Cynth »

If you like Bach you might find this interesting:

http://www.teoria.com/articulos/analysi ... iva_e.html
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

genius!
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Fascinating.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Astounding. NOBODY could do so much with a simple theme as Bach.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Thanks Cynth! :)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Lovely.

Good on ye Cynth, that was a marvellous little thing to see and hear...

Post of the Week :)

Slan.
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

awesome!!!!!! :) Thanks, Cynth!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It seemed like a neat way to present it so people could just get an inkling of what was going on.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

And that was a TWO part invention.

Now go listen to Art of the Fugue: One theme, developed over and over again into coherent, (at least) 4 voice fugues, with the theme slowed down, sped up, majored, minored, played upside down and backwards ....

More genius than my little mind can handel ... (pun intended :lol: )

-Chris
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
djm

Post by djm »

My piano teacher was all fired up about Bach. He had an electronic keyboard, and was able to set up a patch that not only sounded like an old clavinet, but also had the Baroque tuning, and would switch this back and forth with modern piano tuning so that I could hear the difference. Much like the pipes, the old sound was richer, but precluded much of the chording used today because the old tuning didn't stay in tune with itself all the way up, so this dictated the way Bach did some of the things he did.

The animation is excellent. Thx for that, Cynth.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: fyffer, my mind couldn't really handel this one. It just enjoyed it. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have these sorts of ideas.

djm, that would be really interesting to get to compare the two tunings together. I am actually working my way now into learning about just and equal temperment. First, I have to learn some other things so I can understand what they're talking about.
Last edited by Cynth on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Cynth wrote:... I can't imagine what it would feel like to have these sorts of ideas.
Bach himself attributed his "talent" to God. He was merely taking dictation. Everything he did, was for the "Glory of God".

Just one other reminder to me that "Music comes from - but mostly through ..."

:)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
djm

Post by djm »

Fyffer wrote:Just one other reminder to me that "Music comes from - but mostly through ..."
Bach lived in an extremist climate and knew which side of the bread would hit the floor first. He was a mathmetician as well as a musician, so he had all sorts of ways of calculating what he was doing and where it would go. The beauty of Cynth's animation is that it shows you the mechanics of how this stuff went together without you having to be a music major or math genius to understand - you can watch it happen on screen. Its a great idea and a great find. Thanks again, Cynth.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

djm wrote:
Fyffer wrote:Just one other reminder to me that "Music comes from - but mostly through ..."
Bach lived in an extremist climate and knew which side of the bread would hit the floor first. He was a mathmetician as well as a musician, so he had all sorts of ways of calculating what he was doing and where it would go. The beauty of Cynth's animation is that it shows you the mechanics of how this stuff went together without you having to be a music major or math genius to understand - you can watch it happen on screen. Its a great idea and a great find. Thanks again, Cynth.

djm
He did and was!

How many of us have noticed
that when we are playing our best
that most of our conscious mind is
standing off to one side,
with it's mouth agape,
going "whoa! Where did that come from?" :o
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

In college I took both 16th century and 18th century counter-point wherein we studied the "rules" that Bach used to create his inventions and fugues. Lots of stuff going on in these… like the absence (99.5% of the time) of parallel 5ths in his harmonic motion. (a tricky puzzle with 2 voices -- a mind scrambler with 4,6,... 8!) Various resolutions and cadences that would facilitate the "requisite" 2 key changes so the theme would develop in 3 keys. Inversions, retrogrades, the works.

Then we had to write our own! :o It was both easy and difficult at the same time. The recycling of existing motifs made for easy arrangement and a wealth of composed material. The tough part came in following all those rules! Very cool exercise. I tend to think that he was just writing what sounded good to him at the time and didn't worry about such a set of "rules". It just was what he was about. I still have mine on my computer somewherz.

I really liked that animation. Great 50,000 foot view of how he did what he did. :thumbsup:
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.